transfer data

Hi everyone,

I own a tomtom xxl and i find it very usefull.
My question is:

How can i transfer routes, pois from my magellan explorist 600 to mapshare comunity so maps can be updated. I have lots of off road routes and pois that could be usefull to share with other users.:D

Thanks in advance

Hi everyone,

I own a tomtom xxl and i find it very usefull.
My question is:

How can i transfer routes, pois from my magellan explorist 600 to mapshare comunity so maps can be updated. I have lots of off road routes and pois that could be usefull to share with other users.:D

Thanks in advance
We don't have the magic decoder ring for the files that TomTom creates for MapShare updates (either sending or receiving). Unfortunately, that means doing the job manually.

I'm trying to recall whether your Explorist's tracks (your "off road routes") can be converted to *.gpx output. If so, that kind of information can be shared in other ways with TomTom users. TomTom doesn't keep a repository of that kind of information, nor can it be transferred with MapShare.

Your POI data also can't be shared directly via MapShare, but if we can get the Magellan format converted to TomTom's format, TomTom does keep a community-created list (you submit yours using TomTom Home) and sites like POI Factory | new & interesting places for your GPS take user submissions for download by the community. I am unfamiliar with the way Magellan stores or exports POI data, so we'd need some help there (a sample). To see what's out there, fire up Home, click on the "Add Traffic, Voices... etc" button, click on "Points of Interest", and you'll see a big list there. If you click on "How do I create my own content" down in the lower left corner, you'll discover the "Share my content" button - that's how you send your own list across.

Thank you very much for quick response.
I will try to follow your guides.

Vasilis
There is a tool called GPSBabel that understands just about every file type in existence for GPS. It will convert your custom Magellan POI file directly to the TomTom style. If you need help with that tool, let me know.

Ask a Question