Trans America Trail Latitude Longitude Waypoints

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom Rider 2
1. New to forum - own a TT Rider 2
2. Is there a better set of maps that will work with trails and dirt roads?
3. I need to load about 300 waypoints (Lat. Long.). Is there a simple way to do this? I've browsed through the threads and can find nothing that will help. One post I saw had two columns of numbers that were run together with the latitude in the left column and the longitide in the right column. This was done on a Notepad, but would an Excel spreadsheet work?
4. I can't find an altitude readout on the Rider 2. Does it exist?

TIA to all who can contribute.

Lou
Clarksville, MD (USA)

2. Is there a better set of maps that will work with trails and dirt roads?
Currently Tomtom only has one detailed map per geography. They have been expanding dirt road and trail coverage, but it is by no means thorough because the majority of Tomtoms are on-road devices. See if your trails are on routes.tomtom.com, if so you could buy a new North America map (but wait for map 850 which is due out in a couple of days).

3. I need to load about 300 waypoints (Lat. Long.). Is there a simple way to do this? I've browsed through the threads and can find nothing that will help. One post I saw had two columns of numbers that were run together with the latitude in the left column and the longitide in the right column. This was done on a Notepad, but would an Excel spreadsheet work?
If you are designing waypoints to customize a route, then there is a limit of 48 per route. You If you are intending to store a list of destinations (Tomtom calls them POIs), the total is virtually unlimited. Post back which you're looking for, and we can recommend third party tools to perform the job.

4. I can't find an altitude readout on the Rider 2. Does it exist?
I've never used the Rider, so I don't know if altitude is built into the trip stats screen. If it isn't, then you can install the 3rd party apps like TripMaster to show altitude.

Trans America Trail

Thanks, MVL, I have figured out that the max # of waypoints is 48 which won't do me much good. Intuitively, it seems that I should be able to load several flash memory cards with 48 waypoints @ and then simply slip in a new flash memory card when I need to add waypoints. Any way this might work??

Thank you for your reply.
Lou

You can 'daisey chain' itineraries such that at the end of It1 (with 48 waypoints) you can start it 2 (with 48 more), etc.

But another method is to make a custom ov2 file with all the points you want and load that file into the map folder. The number of points is unlimited. That's what mvl is suggesting.

Trans America Trail

"But another method is to make a custom ov2 file with all the points you want and load that file into the map folder. The number of points is unlimited. That's what mvl is suggesting."

Could I prevail upon you to give me a little more information on building an "ov2" file? Conceptually, I understand, but I don't understand the mechanics of building the file and loading it into the "map folder"

Thank you,
Lou

Ask a Question