Traffic worth the $

I just purchased the XXL 540M the other day and so far I really like it. Now that little voice in my head is telling me I should of got the TM. My question to all who have the TM unit, do you think its worth the extra $? Are you pleased with its performance? Any input greatly appreciated!

The 'T' is supplied by an rds-tmc antenna which provides some traffic coverage (mainly highways and main roads in urban areas) but the info is not as current or comprehensive as those with LIVE traffic models.

It's better than nothing I guess but won't, as a rule, give you info for normal city streets.

Just so you know..............

Sounds kinda like the Garmin Nuvi. Is the traffic reception good on the TT? It's kinda spotty on my Nuvi. If its no better on the TT then I probably made the right choice.

The Tomtom traffic is provided by Clearchannel. It works anywhere you can hear a Clearchannel-owned radio-station.

In general, comparison sites say the coverage of the Clearchannel transmitters is better than the Nuvi's free Navteq transmitters.

The actual delay info that is transmitted is about the same.

And Navteq's is here:
NAVTEQ

If you look at both, they're pretty comparable. Specific metros may be better served by one or the other, so it's probably worth checking both for the areas you normally drive if you plan to pay for it. Also, ClearChannel traffic (same as TomTom's) is available from Garmin if you want to pay to play. Just not supplied free as part of their packages. Navteq's free version is ad-supported, while Clear Channels isn't. . . yet. But it's in consideration from what I've seen..

The Navteq map is definitely transmitter coverage.

But I've always thought the clearchannel maps represent the roads where traffic is reported. Not the areas served by the transmitters. I didn't think the transmitter maps were available anywhere. But I was never 100% sure either way.

You sure they represent transmitter coverage?

Ask a Question