Traffic works with ONE XL and Treo 680

TomTom Model(s)
ONE XL
After buying the ONE XL in June, I paired it with my Treo 680 using the Treo 650 profile. I'm with AT&T (originally Cingular) so I chose Cingular as the carrier. Fired it up and it worked fine for about a month until the next upgrade (6.x something) was downloaded & installed.
When it quit working I made the mistake of calling TomTom for help.
Five calls later ("Treo 680 not supported", "you shouldn't have tried to reactivate traffic on the weekend", "just because you can download local weather via the Treo 680 doesn't mean you can connnect to our servers", bla, bla, bla) and five attempts to reactivate the traffic service, I gave up calling.

Finally, I decided to go through the setup one more time. I re paired with the Treo, reconfigured the data connection, downloaded some weather info and still no traffic. Then I noticed the separate icon for "Edit TomTom Plus Account" which I had failed to check since my initial setup after purchase. Of course this wasn't on TomTom's list of possible causes of traffic info access issues. Sure enough, either the upgrade or one of my many attempts to reconfigure the data connection had changed the username to some weird string of characters. Once I reentered the correct info, amazingly, traffic began to work again.

FYI Unlike the Treo 650 the 680 will maintain both my headset connection and the TomTom connection and allows them to be connected (in turn) without any manual intervention. The phone itself however doesn't allow them to be active at the same time (ie no data connection when a call is active).

Ask a Question