Traffic Receivers

TomTom Model(s)
930T and XXL
TT's answer to my question about delivery of Traffic Modules

traffic receivers
Discussion Thread
There is no specific date, probably first quarter 2007. Please continue to watch our website.

My Detroit paper carried a story about traffic receivers today, reprinted from the New York Times. You may have to log in to the NYT site to read it, and I forget if you have to buy into it. The article is http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/03/automobiles/03TRAFFIC.html. I'd copy it here, but I think I'd be in trouble if I did. So I'll summarize:
No mention of TT. It describes how the local services communicate with in-desk car navigation systems, notes that no single source of info exists, notes that three different kinds of data must be gathered (construction, incident or accident reports and traffic flow ) for the service to be useful, as in there's an accident up ahead but traffic is flowing smoothly without delays.it notes that providers such as Navtec and Clear Channel get data from municipal agencies, and that it's sometimes out of date. It also notes "latency," the delay between when data is collected and when it's presented to the in-car systems.
It says Clear Channel's FM stations broadcast the data; and that some GPS makers charge as much as $60/year. XM and Sirius also provide it at $10 a month for a traffic only plan or $4 or so if you're already a subsriber. It alludes to the cellphone connection but doesn't expand on it.

Ask a Question