Traffic Question: Will it auto-reroute?

Stupid Traffic Question. I'm a new TomTom user in the US. I just got my TomTom to work with my phone to pull down traffic. I've tried entering a number of routes to try to hit traffic, but thus far only got "lucky" once.

I have all three traffic options enabled. My question is this:

Say I'm on a trip where there is a traffic incident reported on the road, will I have to select tomtom traffic and select minimize traffic delays, or avoid the traffic manually, or can I simply follow the instructions and the unit will automatically route me around trouble?

if you've checked the box that says "automatically reroute after traffic update" then it will automatically reroute.

if you've checked the box that says "automatically reroute after traffic update" then it will automatically reroute.

On mine that box says something along the lines of "Automatically optimize route after each update"

Which was a little vague to me... so then I guess by optimize route, they mean automatically avoid traffic.

Yes, that will work . . . kind of

Yes, checking the option you describe does re-route you automatically - all you have to do is follow the directions.
That said, I've been using TomTom traffic for the past three months and was thrilled on Saturday to have it actually re-route me around an accident for the first time! :D I was so excited, in fact, that I HAD to see this horrible accident for myself so I ignored the directions and went the original route. . . No accident. :confused: The next day I had to drive the same route and TomTom traffic again identified the same two accidents at the same place and again tried to re-route me. Nope, still not there. :rolleyes: It's clearly a work in progress. :)

Yeah, since I activated the traffic feature, I've been listening to radio traffic reports, looking at traffic on google maps, traffic.com etc.... then I try to route myself to places I know I'll go right through the traffic... I have yet to have it show any of them.

Anyone know what source they use for traffic info?

The traffic feature will be nice if it works. I look forward to trying it on a longer trip.

The best part of the TomTom is how you can choose to go around a certain portion of your route... that is great.

On mine that box says something along the lines of "Automatically optimize route after each update"

Which was a little vague to me... so then I guess by optimize route, they mean automatically avoid traffic.
Yeah, those are the exact wordings lol.

It'll only reroute if it thinks it's faster. You may have incidents which will slow you down but the current route is still faster than alternatives.

Well I have to say, traffic is pretty neat. I was driving around town today when the traffic alerted to a delay on my route.

I have all three options selected including "optimize route"... however, despite showing a 15 minute delay, the Tomtom did still route me right into the tail-end of the indicated traffic on the map... it did not automatically try to route me around... I was a bit disappointed.. i actually had to hit the avoid button before it would "avoid" the traffic.

To be fair, the route only took me to the tail end of the traffic... I could see the backup, but my destination had be turning off right before the traffic jam... however according to the TomTom map, I was right in it.. and it also said the 15 min traffic delay was on my route.

Anyone had any experience with this? Is there an online manual someplace of how traffic is supposed to function? It notified me quite nicely of the delay... but the rerouting I wasn't impressed with.

Ask a Question