Traffic in Chicago?

TomTom Model(s)
340 tm
I've had a 340 tm for a couple of months, and have yet to be able to get the unit to connect with a traffic signal. This is my second unit, for the first one didn't connect, and Tom Tom replaced it. But since the replacement unit also isn't connecting, I'm wondering if others are having more luck than I am. I've gotten the list of radio stations traffic connects to, and have tried to manually set it to 93.9, which seems to have the strongest signal, but no luck.

I live 40 miles from the city, and can pick up all the Chicago stations fine on my radio, but I thought it may have been a matter of my distance from the city until today when I drove to O'Hare Airport and still wasn't able to lock in a signal.

When you plug the antenna into the unit, do you see the message that the antenna has been recognized by the unit?

In other words, you should get a message on the screen in the upper right corner for a few seconds saying "RDS-TMC connected."

How long do you wait before giving up and turn it off or unplug the cord?

Today I was on the road for an hour, with the GPS on the entire time. I switched back and forth a couple of times between manual and automatic as I got closer to the city to see if it would make a difference.

Other questions:
1. Where is the antenna (and the plastic 'egg') located in your vehicle? Try tostretch it out on the dash.

2, Does your car come with athermic glass in the windshield?

Some models, usually European, have a heat-reflective windshield (think a Peugot is one such make). It has been known to interfere with a gps signal. I don't think it's an issue with North American models; further, newer gps chips apparently are robust enough to deal with this kind og glass.

Just trying to cover all bases.

You have tried resetting the unit by holding the power button for about 10 seconds till you hear the drum roll?

Also, look at these files in the map folder: tmccodes.dat
traffic.dat
and are they showing as 0 bytes?

further, newer gps chips apparently are robust enough to deal with this kind og glass.
It's a matter of sensitivity, not 'robustness', unfortunately. And the GL2 chips are no better at dealing with this than the old SiRF III chips were. Got caught out badly last Spring when I was teaching a GPS101 class in a library. Although we were immediately adjacent to a big outside window, they'd chosen the same "low e" glass with the metallic coating and it was really killing reception. Since were were on the first floor, I later tried the GPS inches from the original inside position, but outside. Inside, I could barely get two satellites to register, and was having trouble getting a lock on those. Outside, I had six, big signal, and solid.

Fortunately, in order to add the RFID devices for tolls, manufacturers often leave a patch clear around the rear view mirror. Whether it's big enough or positioned well enough to use for a GPS is another story. A while back, I'd seen a list published of which Euro cars were the culprits. Here's a more current list of models that have, at some time in their production, been thought to have included this glass. I'm only mentioning models from 2000 and more recent:

Audi A8

Bentley Continental GT (gotta get me one of those!)

BMW 3 Series, BMW 5 Series, BMW 7 Series, BMW X5

Chevy Venture

Citroen C5, Citroen Picasso, Citroen Xantia, Citroen Xsara (and probably everything else they've built since 2001)

Dodge Durango

Fiat Multipla (rented one once in Italy - a really ODD looking vehicle!),

Ford Focus (UK models since 2005), Ford Galaxy, Ford Mondeo,

Jeeps (any with the "Solar Control Glass or Deep Tint Sunscreen Glass")

Lexus (models uncertain)

Mercedes A class, Mercedes S class, Mercedes Vaneo

Renault Clio, Renault Espace, Renault Kangoo, Renault Laguna, Renault Master, Renault Megane, Renault Safrane, Renault Scenic, Renault Traffic (and probably anything else they have built since 2001)

Peugeot 206, Peugeot 306, Peugeot 307, Peugeot 607 (and probably anything else they have built since 2001).

Vauxhall Astra, Vauxhall Vectra, Vauxhall Zafira

Last edited:
Thanks......

(Which is why in another thread I said I'd take a bet in Vegas as to the frequency I'd be wrong in my answers! :D )

Thanks......

(Which is why in another thread I said I'd take a bet in Vegas as to the frequency I'd be wrong in my answers! :D )
I was probably reworking the list while you were reading it. Even more models.

The radar detector and GPS vendors are all pretty sensitive to the problem. GPS units can at least be fitted with an external antenna in many cases. There aren't very many radar detectors designed for remote (grill mounted) operation.

It will be interesting if and when the OP reports back as to the vehicle being used.

Having two units with the same issue is suspicious.....

I know I've had lags of a few minutes when I've used the antenna but it did finally grab a signal.

My car's a 6 year old Toyota Prius, so I think if athermic glass was an issue, it would have surfaced before now since that was such a high volume model.

How do I access the map folder files you're referring to?

Not sure what folders you mean but the usual way to see what's on your unit is by using Explorer on a pc or Finder on a Mac.

I was referring to theses files you mentioned in one of your previous posts:

Also, look at these files in the map folder: tmccodes.dat
traffic.dat
and are they showing as 0 bytes?

Oh.....

Yes, use Explorer to look at the contents of the unit and look at the size of those files.

It's showing "5 MB on disk (4,995,360 bytes)."

two more things to consider:

1). This file is showing a date of 6/30/09. I'm wondering if this could be from my old TomTom, a 140s. I set up a new account when I got this one, but this is the only tmcodes file I'm finding.

2) When TomTom replaced by first faulty 340tm, they mistakenly sent me a 340s in its place. When I informed them, they sent me a new traffic receiver cord, telling me that the 340 series is all the same, and that it's the receiver cord antenna that makes the difference between the models.

They are correct in that the traffic antenna is what 'converts' a 340 into a 340T.

The file size seems correct. I don't know what to tell you......

I spoke to TomTom tech support today, and they had me do a hard reset. After the software was reinstalled, it worked......

...Until, that is, I went to reinstall my voices and other custom features. At that point the screen went blank and I couldn't revive it. It must have had a massive heart attack.

So TomTom is now sending me yet another new unit. This is almost funny.

Ask a Question