Traffic avoidance

TomTom Model(s)
Rider
My Go android app refuses to avoid traffic when asked. I have performed an app reset and have put in a support ticket to Tomtom.
I'll keep you posted.

Unclear about what you mean by "when asked". What action did you take to try to avoid traffic?

Nominally, you will have set up the Settings/Routing for Manual/Automatic/None to Manual. Should the device see a change in traffic flow, it will generate a new route and suggest it to you as an alternate, with the time difference shown. You may accept this alternate or not.

There is no setting or specific mechanism to "avoid traffic".

For what it's worth, sometimes dealing with the traffic is determined by the routing engine to be quicker than trying to go around it.

I click on the traffic delay and click Avoid. I performed the same action on the same route on my Rider 550 and it routed me around the delay.

Last edited:
I click on the traffic delay a click Avoid. I performed the same action on the same route on my Rider 550 and it routed me around the delay.
Is this solely for the purpose of avoiding traffic, or are you hoping for a faster route?

That said, I can replicate your problem here. Looks like a bug. Since I can replicate it, I'll report it to TomTom myself. Will get back to you on this when I hear something.

I did the "Avoid" below, and the app 'replanned' the exact same route into the exit ramp traffic you see here:

Screenshot_20230305_114616_TomTom GO.jpg

Last edited:
This was for no purpose at all, I just want the app to perform as expected. I noticed it a few days ago and thought it might just be a temporary glitch. We'll see what Tomtom come up with.

Here is the reply from Tomtom (below), I replied informing them that this function works on my Rider 550 and has always worked in the Android Go app in the past.

Dear Rae,

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support regarding your TomTom Go Navigation app, My name is Hannah, and I will be assisting you today. Your assigned ticket number is *******.

Apologies for the delayed response and the inconvenience you have been facing with Traffic avoidance on the TomTom Go Navigation App.

I would like to inform you that suppose if you have selected choose a fastest route and even through traffic if the original route is the fastest available then you will not be re-routed by the app, since that is the routing type you have selected.

However, please let me know how frequent you are getting this issue and is the alternate route shorter and still not offered?

Waiting for your reply, if you have any more queries or would like to update me, please don’t hesitate to reply to this email and I’ll be more than happy to help.

Thanks and Regards,

Hannah.
TomTom Support Team.

One could argue, then, that there is no point at all in the "Avoid" option. If you have configured the device to plot the fastest route, and there's a faster route, the device should automatically be suggesting that as an alternative provided you're configured for it to ask ("Manual" option).

If the user has planned for Fastest, then don’t even provide the button option to “Avoid” if it’s not going to be honored by the routing engine.

Will see what kind of response I get from that suggestion.

I'll wait and see what they come up with. As I said it always worked in the past, it must have changed with one of the updates.
It's not really a big deal for me as I only have the Go app as a back up to my Rider 550

Been there done that. Rerouting is set to Manual. I really do appreciate the input, however there is a glitch in the app, none of the setting have changes from when it worked.

The latest instructions from Tomtom are below. I'll let you know how I get on.
  • On your phone go to Settings>>Apps>>Select TomTom and Clear Cache.
  • Then uninstall the app and restart your phone
  • Wait for about 5 minutes and reinstall the app
  • Test the route again and let me know if it is working.

Right then, I followed the instructions to the letter and after reinstalling the app and downloading the 9.5 gigabytes of maps and configuring all of my settings the problem still remains. What normally happens at this point is the agent escalates the ticket to a tier 2 team which normally gets results, but I'm not holding my breath.

Here is the latest from Tomtom, I have provided all the information they asked for including photos and screen shots (what a pain that was)

Dear Rae,

Thank you for updating the ticket. This is Hannah again.

I recognize the difficulty of the issue, but let’s strive to find a resolution hence, please provide me with the following details so that I can escalate the ticket to the concerned team:

• Phone model:
  • Android / iOS version:
  • App version:
  • App ID:
  • Language selected on phone:
  • Which map region is installed:
  • Locations where the issue occurs:
  • What you see on the app versus what you see on the Rider device:
  • An example through a screenshot or a small video:

I hope this addresses your query, if you have any more queries or would like to update me, please don’t hesitate to reply to this email and I’ll be more than happy to help.

Thanks and Regards,

Hannah.
TomTom Support Team.

This is the latest instalment of the saga, as predicted.

Dear Rae,

This is Hannah again. Your support request reference is ********. I have escalated the case to our 2nd line of Technical Support.

As soon as I receive a response from the team I will assist you further. Meanwhile, If you have any more queries or would like to update me, please don’t hesitate to reply to this email and I’ll be more than happy to help.

Thanks and Regards,

Hannah.
TomTom Support Team.

Nothing yet from my end, either.

The problem has to end up with the coders at Tomtom someone has produced an update with some bad code. I had a similar situation when MyDrive would not sent stops to my devices and once it went to the 2 level team it got sorted.

Here is the reply to my reminder, like I said I won't hold my breath.

Dear Rae,

This is Ajay from TomTom Customer Care Team.

I would like to personally apologize for the inconvenience that you have faced.

We have escalated this further to our technical team and they are looking into it. As a single user report, this may take a while to be resolved.

Please bear with us while we look at the situation.

We value our customers and ask you to please feel free to continue to provide feedback about our services.

If you have any further questions or would like to discuss this matter further, please feel free to contact me anytime.

Many thanks for your time and consideration.

With Kind Regards

Ajay C.
The TomTom Customer Care Team

Ask a Question