Traffic and Routing Issues

I may have figured out part of the problem.

I don't think the TT understands turning lanes. The road I work on is a 4 lane road with a turning lane in the middle.

I just went to lunch and asked it to navigate me to the place half a mile down the street. Normally, I'd take a right out of the parking lot. For some reason it told me to take a left, go down the street 600 yards, make a U-Turn and come back down the exact same road.

On my way back, it did everything it could to keep me from turning left using the turning lane. It's almost like it thinks the road is two different roads with no ability to turn across the road on the left, hence, not understanding turning lanes.

Doesn't exactly explain wanting me to go left, take a u-turn and come back the exact same way, though...

I may have figured out part of the problem.

I don't think the TT understands turning lanes. The road I work on is a 4 lane road with a turning lane in the middle.

I just went to lunch and asked it to navigate me to the place half a mile down the street. Normally, I'd take a right out of the parking lot. For some reason it told me to take a left, go down the street 600 yards, make a U-Turn and come back down the exact same road.

On my way back, it did everything it could to keep me from turning left using the turning lane. It's almost like it thinks the road is two different roads with no ability to turn across the road on the left, hence, not understanding turning lanes.

Doesn't exactly explain wanting me to go left, take a u-turn and come back the exact same way, though...
Aha, yes, it must think that it's a divided highway

Aha, yes, it must think that it's a divided highway

Exactly what I thought. Which might only be part of the problem.

If it thinks it's a divided hwy, why would it tell me to turn left out of the parking lot (crossing the hwy division in the process), go 600 yards, and make a u-turn coming back the same direction?

I'm going to undo any map updates I got last night and see if it does the same thing. If this isn't correctable via map changes, this thing is going up on ebay.

There's no excuse for a gps telling you to go left, make a u-turn, and come back the same way. There's something not right there.

Exactly what I thought. Which might only be part of the problem.

If it thinks it's a divided hwy, why would it tell me to turn left out of the parking lot (crossing the hwy division in the process), go 600 yards, and make a u-turn coming back the same direction?

I'm going to undo any map updates I got last night and see if it does the same thing. If this isn't correctable via map changes, this thing is going up on ebay.

There's no excuse for a gps telling you to go left, make a u-turn, and come back the same way. There's something not right there.
That is strange. I'd have to see that to make a guess.

Regarding traffic, call TomTom and ask for a three month trial. That is what I have done. It works pretty well here in Pittsburgh, PA.

Regarding map missing an avialable turn, there is no way to currently add a turn using mapshare, but I recall seeing pictures of Navcore 8 and adding a turn was a feature I remember seeing.

IQ routing will hopefully solve some of the annoying routing issues but I still ask for a Road Preference option in mapshare. See https://www.tomtomforums.com/showthread.php?t=7749&highlight=road+preference

So as to not let everyone think I'm crazy or something... I took screenshots. The first two are obvious and ridiculous. The third might need explanation. I put in blue the route it obviously should have taken.
Can anyone please explain these or help fix them? Please? :eek:

ss1.jpg

ss2.jpg

In the last one, it tells me to get off the expressway, and instead of taking a left, tells me to take a right, get BACK ON the expressway, go to the next exit, and take a right to go right on my street.
ss3.jpg

I'm not sure but I think the TT does not realize you are able to make a left turn from that road in front of your office. It thinks the road is divided and is trying to get you around the barrier so you can turn right into the office.

So when I found out that TMC traffic on my Garmin c550 is really bad, I bought the Go 720 to try out the TomTom Plus Traffic.

So I go to buy it last night and it only gives me Europe Traffic. I searched everywhere about this problem and couldn't find anything.

I called support this morning (zero hold times, very very nice) and talked to a few different people and was told I had to buy traffic for The Netherlands. ....um, I live in a Chicago suburb. They told me that traffic for the US just recently was being sold and you have to purchase the European Traffic for $54.95. But I read on these forums that there's a US Traffic subscription for $24.95.

But the support people said I had to go with the European. So I started to buy it, and it asked what country I'd be using it most in. The Netherlands wasn't even an option!

I called back and finally the nice lady gave me a 90 day trial of traffic. So I was a happy customer. Not sure how that's going to go in 90 days if I want to renew, though...

So I head to work this morning, and it wants me to go through the city to get to a northern suburb. Which would be fine except the traffic would beridiculous to try to get through. Does it not initially route you based on traffic? (Yes the traffic update circle was all green)

I ignored it and took the toll-way around the city. I get off at my exit and my place of employment is two left turns from the off-ramp... about two miles away. My shiny new TomTom wanted me to take a right off the ramp, go 7 miles completely around and come in from the right. That made NO sense.

I ignored it again, and as I got closer to work, it wanted me to take a U-turn and go completely around. I turned onto the 4 lane road my building is on, and it wants me take another U-turn even though my building is within sight in front of me, about 200 yards away. It was directing me to turn around, get back on the expressway, go another exit down, get off and come in from the right, so my building would be on the right side. What??? I'm 200 yards away! Why would I get back on the expressway? It was like it couldn't see the road I was on that took me right to the building.

I got in the parking lot and asked how it would take me home. It said the route would include tolls (rightfully so) and if I wanted to avoid them. I said no, and it routed me... but it took all side streets! For 30 miles! Without tolls, I might add. Why did it ask about tolls if it didn't even take me on tolls?

I made sure the settings were for fastest route, there was no traffic in that direction... I just don't understand. Is there some firmware update I shouldn't have gotten (I updated through TomTome Home last night)? This is awful. Strongly thinking about going back to the Garmin.... :(

TomTom traffic is $54.95 per year, set by TT not the forums. Also traffic is always Euro, but the service is global. The service will work anywhere that it is available in the world.

Anyone feel like trying to set their location to

N 41.96860
W -87.87183

And try to navigate to that address in the screenshots? I'm trying to narrow down the problem... see if it's my firmware or a map issue or whatever. If it's happening on everyone's TT, though, I'll just give it up.

Anyone feel like trying to set their location to

N 41.96860
W -87.87183

And try to navigate to that address in the screenshots? I'm trying to narrow down the problem... see if it's my firmware or a map issue or whatever. If it's happening on everyone's TT, though, I'll just give it up.
The route it gave me looks the same as yours

It's not the GPS!!! It's the firmware. Stupid firmware.

I was at Circuit City checking out what new GPS I was gonna get to replace this thing, and I saw a 720. Just for kicks, tried that route... and it was a normal route! It took left turns and everything! I checked the firmware, and it was an old 7.010 version. I updated to that latest one.

So, I need to downgrade the firmware. Anyone care to help me do that?

Ask a Question