Trading in my TomTom for a better one; any advice on which model to choose?

Just kind of guess here.

Do you have enough space on the C drive ? TT Home will try to unpack stuff onto your C drive temporarily, before puting them onto your TT. So if you install a 1G map , you need at least 3G free space on your C (1G for the downloaded 'packed' map, then about 2G for the 'unpacked' map).

Just kind of guess here.

Do you have enough space on the C drive ? TT Home will try to unpack stuff onto your C drive temporarily, before puting them onto your TT. So if you install a 1G map , you need at least 3G free space on your C (1G for the downloaded 'packed' map, then about 2G for the 'unpacked' map).

Yes, there is plenty of space (60+ GB available) on the C drive so I don't believe that would be the issue

You could use explorer to move your western europe map folder to your c drive (removing it from the Tomtom).

Then install the North America map with HOME

Then you could use explorer to move both maps to the SDHC (North America from internal, Western Europe from c drive).

OP here:
Just an update, I called TomTom and was told by one of their representatives that the reason it keeps telling me there's not enough space and won't install to the SDHC card is because the SDHC card I linked to a few posts back is not compatible with this TT after all. Apparently it can only handle 4GB and won't recognize or use the card since it is 8GB. I'll try to see if I can return the card to Amazon and get a 4GB once instead and hopefully that will solve the problem.

Some one at TomTom is talking rubbish, I have 8GB and 16GB cards in my 720/ 930 and I know these cards work in the 920 as long as its running the up to date software, just to check this switch the device on and tap the sat strength meter followed by the version box, the resultant screen will tell you all about the device, its the software version number I am interested in.
As new the 920 wouldn't work with SDHC cards but an update to the software allows this type of card to work - Mike

Some one at TomTom is talking rubbish, I have 8GB and 16GB cards in my 720/ 930 and I know these cards work in the 920 as long as its running the up to date software, just to check this switch the device on and tap the sat strength meter followed by the version box, the resultant screen will tell you all about the device, its the software version number I am interested in.
As new the 920 wouldn't work with SDHC cards but an update to the software allows this type of card to work - Mike

Here's what it says on that screen:

App 8.351 (9982/090518) OS: 315187
64 MB RAM (free: 19.1MB)
GPS v1.20, Boot 5.5120
Map: 'North_America' v710.1576
Language: English US

So can I still get the 8GB SDHC that I have to work with the device or should I go ahead with trying to return it and go buy the 4GB card instead?

Copy the map to the SDHC card using a card reader connected to the PC (the link in a previous post by dhn explains how to manually install a map), once the files are on the card put it in the TomTom and the device will use it, your device is at the requiered software load to use SDHC cards, I wouldn't try installing a map to a large card using Home and the device acting as a card reader as that is probably pushing it slightly too far, with the data on the memory card the device will use it - Mike

I took the SDHC card out of the TomTom and put it directly into the computer by itself, then loaded the maps onto it using the directions from dhn's link above. After doing that I removed the card from the computer and put it back into the TomTom...the TT maps still look the same as before, and when using "Browse Map" it won't let me scroll over to Europe and check out any maps of anything over there, which I thought it would do once I downloaded and installed the Western/Central Europe map from the LMG option.

However, when I put the TT onto the dock and go to HOME and select LMG it says that my maps are up to date, which it didn't say before.

So are the latest maps successfully on there now? Is there some way of telling? And is there something special I have to do to browse the maps of Europe, cause it won't let me go there manually.

As always, thanks for all your help!

The Europe and North America maps replace each other. They don't append to the same screen in browse mode.

To switch maps you have to go to Preferences -> Manage Maps -> Switch map

Also, if you land at the airport on the other continent, the Tomtom will auto-popup a screen asking if you want to switch.

The latest map is 840 for both continents, which you can see by tapping on the satellite bars, then tapping on the small application number box on the lower right.

You have to check one continent's map version, then go to "switch map" per above, then check the other continent's map version .

The Europe and North America maps replace each other. They don't append to the same screen in browse mode.

To switch maps you have to go to Preferences -> Manage Maps -> Switch map

Also, if you land at the airport on the other continent, the Tomtom will auto-popup a screen asking if you want to switch.

The latest map is 840 for both continents, which you can see by tapping on the satellite bars, then tapping on the small application number box on the lower right.

You have to check one continent's map version, then go to "switch map" per above, then check the other continent's map version .

Thanks for the info;
It would appear that the map number is still the same as it was in my previous post: Map: 'North_America' v710.1576

However, when I go to "Switch Map" there are 5 options: Guam, North America, Western and Central Europe, another North America and another Western and Central Europe.

When I select the first North America map it says v710, when I select the second North America map it says v840. Same with the two Europe maps. Do the two older maps (v710) have to be on there/should they be? And is there an easy way to get rid of them so it's just the new versions? I think the fact that they're on there twice might be why there was never any available space to begin with.

Another question...when I select either Europe map I just get a location of nowhere and when I select "Browse map" it's nothing but half ocean/half land at all zoom levels with no characteristics at all. Does this mean I have to physically be in Europe for it to let me browse the maps of Europe or is this a glitch?

As always, thanks again for any and all help!

Be very careful with these instructions........

First, make an Explorer, not Home, backup of your unit's contents. Ensure hidden files/folders are showing. Make a separate backup of internal and another for the sdhc card.

It sounds as if you have one version of map on the sdhc card and another on the unit itself (for both NA and European maps).

So......

Use Explorer and look at the contents of the unit. You probably will see a map folder called North_America and another called Western_Europe. In each map folder you will see a file with an extension of .pna. Open it with Notepad. Either on a line by itself or at the end of the first line, you will see the version number of the map. It may say 715 or 840.

Now, do the same with the sdhc card. The bottom line is this: your unit sees maps on the sdhc card AND maps on internal collectively. So, you need (between the card and internal) ONLY the Western_Europe 840 and North_America 840. Move the older map folders (from where they are located to the computer).

If you are in North America and switch to the Western_Europe map, you can do Advanced Planning from point A to point B but, as you've noticed, the gps satellites 'see' your coorinates in North America so it can't show your current location on the European map.

The bottom line is this: your unit sees maps on the sdhc card AND maps on internal collectively. So, you need (between the card and internal) ONLY the Western_Europe 840 and North_America 840. Move the older map folders (from where they are located to the computer).

I checked the .pna files for all four maps (two on the internal, two on the SDHC) and the two on the SDHC were the new ones and the two on the internal were the old ones.

I moved the older map folders (from the internal) to my desktop but that just made a copy of them on the desktop with the original folders and files remaining in the internal afterward.

Anyway, is it safe to assume that I can delete the two older map folders on the internal device now that the new map folders are in the SDHC and the older map folders are backed up on my desktop?

Thanks again

Yes you may...........the unit will work fine with the maps on the sdhc card.

Now, when you want to update mapshares, it is a bit convoluted but here's how:

1. Connect to Home. Choose the memory card (rather than internal) when asked.
2. Start the emulator (Operate My Go) and Manage Maps, select one of them.
3. Exit the emulator and go to 'Update My Unit'. Mapshares downloaded will relate to the map selected.
4. Go back to step 2 and select the other map.
5. Go back to step 3.

Alright, I deleted the older maps from the internal and the TomTom is finally using the new maps on the SDHC card. It would appear that those issues are solved now.

However, I still have a separate TT issue. I'd like to transfer over the Favorites from my TomTom GO 510 so that they appear as favorites on my current GO 920. I attempted to do this by following the instructions on this page as advised earlier in this thread; I put the SD card from my 510 into my laptop, copied the MapSettings.cfg file to my desktop, opened it with POIEdit then saved the list of favorites as "_FAVS.ov2" and then took the 510 SD card out, connected the GO 920 to the laptop and moved the "_FAVS.ov2" file into the map folder on the 920's SDHC card as the instructions said.

But now when I start up my TT 920 it still says that there are no Favorites. When I browse the map I can see all my favorites listed on there now, except as red block icons instead of the star icon. When I select one of the red blocks it will come up with my assigned name from the 510, but I can't navigate there since none of them are actually listed as Favorites. In fact I'm not sure what they're listed as since the only way I can find them is manually scrolling to them on the map.

Here is a screen shot of what my "Favorites" look like on the 920:

x5cuv9.jpg

So, how can I make my old favorites into actual Favorites on the 920 instead of these red block things that I can't navigate to and that don't show up under the "Favorites" menu?

Thanks again for any and all help!

The thread you referred to creates a POI category called "favorites". You navigate to them as you would to a POI.

To copy true favorites over you have to place mapsettings.cfg onto your new map folder. It may not work if the application version is too different, but it's worth a try. If your new Tomtom won't startup after copying mapsettings.cfg over, then do this.

As you have converted the MapSettings.cfg to ov2 format (and I would keep it that way to avoid future problems when you update the device), the reason you have the red aquare is you have an ov2 file with no coresponding bmp (icon image) - This needs to be a 22x22 pixel 24bit colour depth bmp file, if you want I can load up a bmp image which looks like the old Favourites symbol (the yellow star) in the correct size/ format etc - Mike

I had a similar problem a while ago. It ended up being an error with my Home software in Windows Vista but when I booted into XP, the errors went away.

Here's the thread with a weird free space error.

https://www.tomtomforums.com/genera...ading-map-835-says-out-space-needs-137gb.html

Another strange thing is that when I was getting the error, it took FOREVER to download the new map, but when I booted into XP, it downloaded VERY fast, and installed with no problems. I don't remember what I did but it works perfectly now. I'm also using Windows 7 as well.

I ended up going through each of the old Favs (the ones that showed up as red squares) and adding a new Favorite (that's listed as a Favorite and shows up as a star icon) on top of every red square and naming them the same as the old ones. Then I took the _FAVS.ov2 file off the SDHC card so the red squares are gone and the new Favorites are in their place. So it looks like everything is finally resolved!

...well, sort of. :(
Now that everything technical inside the TT is sorted out and fixed, I just tried attaching it in my car for the first time. The suction cup absolutely will not stick on the windshield. I actually made a thread about this type of problem on this board last year with my old TomTom GO 510, which would fall off the windshield every hour or so, and the solution came in the form of the Bracketron bean bag dashboard mount which the GO 510 actually stuck to without falling off.

But not only will this new mount not stick to the windshield, it won't stick to the Bracketron bean bag either. It also won't stick to the dashboard adhesive disc that came with the GO 920. I mean it'll stick for a second, but then it'll immediately come off. I can't get it to stick solidly to any surface without it coming off a few seconds later. I tried cleaning the windshield, wetting the suction cup, wetting the windshield, using rubbing alcohol on both the suction cup and the windshield, nothing works.

So now I'm not sure where to put the TomTom in my car or how to get it to stay there. Does anyone know of a replacement mount of sorts that works without using a suction cup? So far I haven't been able to find anything.

Sorry to keep coming back for help like this, hopefully this will be the last thing I need help with!

Thanks again!

Use a towel with a bit of soap and wipe the suction cup and the windshield. You want to make sure it's thoroughly clean, so that the mount has the best chance of sticking.

I hear that certain aftermarket brand mounts are better, haven't used them as a cleaned factory mount works well for me.

Ask a Question