Topographic maps??

TomTom Model(s)
GO 510
Are topo maps available for hikers, hunters, fishermen, etc.? Like, can the Go510 be used 'off road' to prevent getting lost in the woods, and find our way back to the departure point?

On a related question, roughly how long does the battery last when the Go510 is used in portable mode? Used in continuous mode, and used sporatically by turning it on every now and then to get my bearings? Anyone done any tests in this area?

This has been discussed a bit in your other thread regarding the mall parking lot.

No topo maps are available. And if you go off road with the TT, it just tries to lead you back to the closest road.

As was suggested, the add-on program 'Off Road', available for free from the website of a wonderfully creative Frenchman, will allow you to travel off the map to a fixed point. However, it is like a low-end GPS for hiking: no map, and it points you in a straight line to your destination.

http://www.webazar.org/tomtom/offroad.php?lang=uk

(I stand corrected. It appears that you can now add maps to the new version of 'Off Road'!)

A fully charged 510 battery is supposed to last 5 hours. How long you can stretch that out by infrequent use? No idea!

There are no topographic maps available for TT's.

But, you could install Tripmaster and then record your off-road route. That would then at least allow you to retrace the route (I think) you have taken and get you back to your car. Otherwise the TT will just point you in a straight line to your cars position (If you store it as a favourite).

GO 720 Topo Maps

In March 2007 46jimbo posted the link http://www.webazar.org/tomtom/offroad.php?lang=uk, as being the site to download the topo maps.

I have tried on numerous occasions to get these maps onto my GO720 but without success. I am able to download the folder, but when trying to open it, it gives me 3 directories, one called offroad with a file in it called offroad with no file extension, that doesn't open. I have downloaded the software FreeFileViewer that works, but only lists the binary info (I think) for the file, and still doesn't open it, so I can't use the info. All this is obviously happening long before I have the chance to even connect my GO720.

I am using Windows 7 Home Premium with 64bit laptop, and have also tried on another computer using Windows 7 Ultimate with 32bit.

Can anyone help, or know of an updated version of the topo maps that maybe would work with Windows 7, if this is the problem?
Also, the site lists TT versions of v8.x and v9.x, as well as navcore. My latest TT Home version installed is 2.8.3.2499 - does this have any significance.
Tks Hugs

The TTv8 and v9 refer to the applications installed on the unit. The version 2.8.3.2499 refers to the HOME application version.

You are posting a question in a thread just about FIVE years old so I don't know whether you'll get much, if any, feedback.

I know that you used to be able to create map overlays and install them in a folder called raster on the 720. Mostly useless functionality. Basically, TomTom units, being on-road devices, don't deal with topo maps the way some (all?) Garmin models can.

Here's a link to how you could create an overlay:
http://create.tomtom.com/manuals/create-your-own-content/

GO 720 Topo Maps

Thanks dhn for all your help.
For my purposes (ie to find off road bearing from one lat/long to another on the TTGO 720), the map overlay if it worked would be very cumbersome.
I think it best to invest in a Garmin to easily get off road bearing results.
Thanks again.

Ask a Question