Too many models?

I've got a suggestion for the powers that be at TomTom:

Stop launching so many different models!

Why? Well... my first TomTom was a ONE v3.

Nice device but making a backup of the Favourites was "Not Possible" according to the TomTom website. That was always *really* frustrating and I don't see why anyone should have to jump through all the workaround hoops of converting them into POIs. Backing up one's favourites so that they can be transferred to any new map updates is page one stuff; it should have just *been there* in the first place.

So now I have a VIA LIVE.

Bigger screen, a few more bells and whistles but hey now I can't back up the entire device to my pc using MyTomTom (as I could with the ONE using TomTom HOME) because it is "Not Possible" according to the TomTom website. Nor can I look at the file structure of the device by going into My Computer on my pc, something I could do with the ONE, so why all the suspiciously fishy secrecy?.

Too many bewilderingly different models; too many incompatible softwares; too expensive for the maps; I wish they'd get it right. My next GPS quite probably won't be a TomTom.

Also, you COULD always back up your Favourites on the old models by backing up the Mapsettings.cfg file.

And you can back them up on the new models (including your VIA) by using MyTomTom's "Add community content" as Favourites are stored as a normal .ov2 file now.

Ask a Question