Too many favorites

I love my new TomTom XL 330, but I was shocked when I recently tried to save a "Favorite" and it told me that I had "too many." I only had 48 Favorites!

Wow, that is an extreme limitation!

What I like to do, is pick out all my favorite locations using Google Earth. You can zoom in and the exact latitude/longitude of your mouse cursor are displayed in the lower left-hand corner of the screen. I create the Favorite by entering the coordinates instead of the address. It is much more accurate. It is so accurate you can actually pick out your parking spot.

But only 48 Favorites???? C'mon, TomTom!

David Emerling
Memphis, TN

You can always save the location as a poi. (or as part of a poi category you've created) In newer models, the maximum number is 'up to' 300 but, realistically, it seems to be more in the 150-160 range.

You can always save the location as a poi. (or as part of a poi category you've created) In newer models, the maximum number is 'up to' 300 but, realistically, it seems to be more in the 150-160 range.

How do you create a user defined POI category? I don't see that option anywhere. And, even if you could, I don't even see how you could enter POI's within that category.

Am I missing something?

Thanks!

David Emerling
Memphis, TN

Manage POI's -->Add Category --> then type in the new custom category.

Then, Add POI, choice could be, for instance, point on map or address, etc., and add it to the category you created.

since you're using google earth to pick your spots, simply mark those spots in google earth with appropriate name. they'll be added to "my places"

save my places to your hard drive as a .kml file.

then download poiedit from www.poiedit.com.

open the .kml file in poiedit, and save as a tomtom .ov2 file. name it whatever you like and then load this file into the map folder of your unit. everything will be there exactly as you marked them.

just remember to delete everything from "my places" in google earth before you start.

i don't think i could come up with 48 favorites if i tried.

but yes, i recommend adding POI's - i think that's what they intend for you to do to begin with.

I actually made a PIO named "_FAVORITES" (Note the underscore to force it to the top of the PIO list.) for long term storage of my favorites. This helps keep the current FAVORITE list small and mangable. Naming it this also makes it easy for the rest of the family to find an old favorite.

It is very easy to copy a Favorite to a PIO. When adding a PIO to your new PIO Category, select FAVORITE.

since you're using google earth to pick your spots, simply mark those spots in google earth with appropriate name. they'll be added to "my places"

save my places to your hard drive as a .kml file.

then download poiedit from www.poiedit.com.

open the .kml file in poiedit, and save as a tomtom .ov2 file. name it whatever you like and then load this file into the map folder of your unit. everything will be there exactly as you marked them.

just remember to delete everything from "my places" in google earth before you start.

You can also create folders within "my places" in Google Earth that can be exported to .kml files separately and then converted into POI's with the Folder Name.

Ask a Question