Too Cold to Leave in Car?

TomTom Model(s)
XXL 540s
I know it's not well-advised to leave any electronic device in extreme hot or cold temperatures but do any forum members leave their TT in their car for any long period of time?

I want to have my TT readily accessible - from the glovebox for example. However, temperatures where I am are typically around -15 degrees celsius (approx. 5 degrees fahrenheit).

Say I go out to see a movie... do I need to take my TT inside with me or can it stay in the glovebox for 2 hours?

Just looking for others' opinions. Thanks!

From my go 920 manual

Temperatures: Standard operation: -10 C (14 F) to +55 C (131 F); short period
storage: -20 C (-4 F) to + 60 C (140 F); long period storage: -20 C (-4 F) to
+25 C (77 F).

Personally I'd be more worried about someone stealing it from the glovebox.;)

You may wish to consider purchasing a case for the unit, perhaps a camera case that it'll fit in. That would provide extra insulation.

You may wish to consider purchasing a case for the unit, perhaps a camera case that it'll fit in. That would provide extra insulation.

I did exactly that yesterday. I wasn't able to find a fitted 5" GPS case so I purchased a camera case instead. It doesn't sound like leaving it in my glovebox during the dead of winter is worth the risk.

There have been cases of thieves stealing a GPS from a car that was observed being parked and would be there for several hours (such as at a movie theater) and using Home as programmed into the GPS to find the owner's home and burgle it at leisure. I NEVER leave mine in my car.

I am using a zippered camera bag from Radio Shack.
Make sure you don't get the TomTom Deluxe Leather Case, CAD 10.95 instead of 39.95 on the Canada web page.
A poster in the UK last year broke the screen of a two months old unit by closing the push button snap right onto it. What a brilliant design and intelligent marketing. TT told him too bad, screens are not warranted. There is a 50/50 chance to put the unit in there the wrong way around.

In case the unit is stolen from the car, my Home location on the TomTom is an exit off the freeway, a number of turns from my house..

Ask a Question