TonTom One POIs for Starbucks and WaWa

Pardon my ignorance. i've searched hi and lo and can't seem to find what i need. i downloaded a OV2 file for Starbucks to my computer, but i can't get the TT1 to load it. the other POI files i was successful loading were TOC files.

Any ideas?

How are you trying to load it? All you should have to do is unzip the file and drag the ov2 and bmp file to your North_American map folder and go.

Thanks for replying. Again, I am a bit ignorant in this area. I downloaded the OV2 file & bitmap. They were in My Documents, in TomTom Home under Downloads>POI. I copied them into Downloads>Map>USACanada file. I also copied them into the file called From Device. When I open the TomTom Home program and try to manage maps, the file does not show up in any list for POIs or Load From Computer in order to select it to load to the TomTom. Now I'm reloading the entire USACanada map file from my computer to the TomTom in hopes that now the Starbucks POI will show up. There has to be an easier way to do this and I'm not seeing it.

Please reply with instructions if you know how to do this. Again, though, I don't understand why all the other files are TOC files, not OV2. Should the OV2 still work, or will that not work on a TomTom One?

Thanks for your help.

Thanks for replying. Again, I am a bit ignorant in this area. I downloaded the OV2 file & bitmap. They were in My Documents, in TomTom Home under Downloads>POI. I copied them into Downloads>Map>USACanada file. I also copied them into the file called From Device. When I open the TomTom Home program and try to manage maps, the file does not show up in any list for POIs or Load From Computer in order to select it to load to the TomTom. Now I'm reloading the entire USACanada map file from my computer to the TomTom in hopes that now the Starbucks POI will show up. There has to be an easier way to do this and I'm not seeing it.

Please reply with instructions if you know how to do this. Again, though, I don't understand why all the other files are TOC files, not OV2. Should the OV2 still work, or will that not work on a TomTom One?

Thanks for your help.

You've made it waaaayy too complicated for yourself.

Since you found the two files in the Download--POIs folder, just use Windows Explorer and copy both files onto your unit into the map folder (named USA & Canada, I gather). PERIOD.

You didn't need to copy them into any From Device folder; you don't require TTHome to install them (because you just did) and reloading the USA & Canada map will not do it and will wipe out any poi's you previously downloaded.

There are numerous sites on the web including this one that have custom poi's to download. Most are in zipped format and contain both the .ov2 file and a .bmp file which will be the logo. Let's say you want to retrieve test poi, for example. Likely, you'll be dl test.zip to your computer. Unzip the compressed file to a location on your computer. You should see test.ov2 and test.bmp files. Copy both (using Explorer) to your map folder on your unit. Done.

Last thing.....some people, when trying to install a .ov2 file to their map folder say they don't see the associated logo on their unit. More often than not, the reason is that the name of the bmp file is not named EXACTLY what the .ov2 file is named. One example: this_poi.ov2 will NOT show the proper bmp if the bmp file is named This_poi.bmp.

Hope this helps.....

Wow! How could I have missed that i can copy files right onto the device with Explore????? That certainly clears it up. You have my undying gratitude.

You've made it waaaayy too complicated for yourself.

Since you found the two files in the Download--POIs folder, just use Windows Explorer and copy both files onto your unit into the map folder (named USA & Canada, I gather). PERIOD.

You didn't need to copy them into any From Device folder; you don't require TTHome to install them (because you just did) and reloading the USA & Canada map will not do it and will wipe out any poi's you previously downloaded.

There are numerous sites on the web including this one that have custom poi's to download. Most are in zipped format and contain both the .ov2 file and a .bmp file which will be the logo. Let's say you want to retrieve test poi, for example. Likely, you'll be dl test.zip to your computer. Unzip the compressed file to a location on your computer. You should see test.ov2 and test.bmp files. Copy both (using Explorer) to your map folder on your unit. Done.

Last thing.....some people, when trying to install a .ov2 file to their map folder say they don't see the associated logo on their unit. More often than not, the reason is that the name of the bmp file is not named EXACTLY what the .ov2 file is named. One example: this_poi.ov2 will NOT show the proper bmp if the bmp file is named This_poi.bmp.

Hope this helps.....

Well, dhn, since you were so helpful...

i made a mess of things when i tried to reload my map file, as you mentioned, it wiped out all the stuff i already had. i've got that all back together (backup / restore did not work, caused repeated errors). Finally i just copied all the files in "From Device" back onto the device directly. That seemed to work.

But, i still can't find the right starbucks poi file. i loaded one, which turns out to be for the UK I think. When i search this site, i come up with the same threads that mention a file, but i can not find the file itself.

I am on the US east coast. Would you by any chance be able to direct me to an appropriate file i can download?

Clearly I am completely inept!

Well, dhn, since you were so helpful...

i made a mess of things when i tried to reload my map file, as you mentioned, it wiped out all the stuff i already had. i've got that all back together (backup / restore did not work, caused repeated errors). Finally i just copied all the files in "From Device" back onto the device directly. That seemed to work.

But, i still can't find the right starbucks poi file. i loaded one, which turns out to be for the UK I think. When i search this site, i come up with the same threads that mention a file, but i can not find the file itself.

I am on the US east coast. Would you by any chance be able to direct me to an appropriate file i can download?

Clearly I am completely inept!

A little hard on yourself, eh? :eek:

Anyway......

Go here:

http://www.gps-data-team.com/poi/united_states/restaurants/Starbucks-US.html

Click on the 'download' button. You'll be taken to another screen where there are links for both the .ov2 file and the .bmp file

Ask a Question