tomtom130 no least use of freeways?

I'm a flooring installer and usually at a different location each day. Most of the time it is 35+ miles from my house in towns I'm not familiar at all with. Not to mention I have a terrible sense of direction hence the gps :eek: . I just replaced a garmin unit with this tomtom 130 and I guess I should have researched some more but it gave out this weekend and I need it for tommorow. I really like the least use of freeways option the garmins have because when leaving the warehouse where I pick up materials it usually wants me to get on some congested freeways to get to the customers house for install. Is there anyway to get the tomtom to do this? Or should I return it and look at another garmin?

I'm a flooring installer and usually at a different location each day. Most of the time it is 35+ miles from my house in towns I'm not familiar at all with. Not to mention I have a terrible sense of direction hence the gps :eek: . I just replaced a garmin unit with this tomtom 130 and I guess I should have researched some more but it gave out this weekend and I need it for tommorow. I really like the least use of freeways option the garmins have because when leaving the warehouse where I pick up materials it usually wants me to get on some congested freeways to get to the customers house for install. Is there anyway to get the tomtom to do this? Or should I return it and look at another garmin?

Change Preferences-->Planning Preferences (on page 5) check Avoid freeways.

freeway avoidance

The newer TT have a number of options regarding the route. You can avoid freeways, use fastest route, use shortest route etc.

I'm very new to the TT but for about $400 you can get a TT GO920. Lots of bells and whistles for a very reasonable price compared to Garmin.

best of luck on your job tomorrow.

Change Preferences-->Planning Preferences (on page 5) check Avoid freeways.

Thanks for the replys, much appreciated. So this will avoid all freeways for any route I throw at it until I change that preference to tell it otherwise?

So this will avoid all freeways for any route I throw at it until I change that preference to tell it otherwise?
Well, it attempts to avoid all freeways (assuming there are non-freeway routes between your points A and B).

Although in practice, I believe it balances this total avoidance strategy with other travel factors, such as road grade, number of turns, poss congestion, etc.

YMMV! :D

Ask a Question