TomTom XL330 - no satellites

Hey gang.

Got this model for Xmas.

Just got around to firing it up because I am moving in a few weeks.

I am unable to acquire satellite signals.

I left it on in the car until the battery died and nothing,

Went through a drive downtown, nothing.

Now, I live in a rural town.

I suspect I may have to go to a city and leave it on for a while to get the a signal for the first time.

Did the updates. I don't think it's in sim mode (don't think there is such a thing unless when plugged into cpu and running tomtom home)

Their tech support is.........standard, basic steps - several hard reboots and nada

Tried wiping it to factory and reloading/updating

I left it on overnight on the window ledge.

Nada - "searching for valid gps signal"

0 satellites found.

Does anyone have any experience with this scenario ?

Use Explorer to delete everything in the ephem folder on your unit. Then go here:
c:\documents and settings\yourname\my documents\TomTom\Home\Downloads\Complete\ephemeris\

If you see any sub folders in that folder, delete them (If you've never connected, doubt you'll see anything, but............)

Now, connect to Home. You should get offered a gpsquickfix file. Install and disconnect the unit properly from Home (using the Device disconnect icon in bottom right).

Start unit. Leave stationary in an open area and see if you get a satellite capture within a few minutes.

Use Explorer to delete everything in the ephem folder on your unit. Then go here:
c:\documents and settings\yourname\my documents\TomTom\Home\Downloads\Complete\ephemeris\

If you see any sub folders in that folder, delete them (If you've never connected, doubt you'll see anything, but............)

Now, connect to Home. You should get offered a gpsquickfix file. Install and disconnect the unit properly from Home (using the Device disconnect icon in bottom right).

Start unit. Leave stationary in an open area and see if you get a satellite capture within a few minutes.

Thanks bro.

Will try that tonight when I get home and post the results.

Hey buddy

No luck

Just for the record, I had my home address listed as someplace else, because my home address is not part of the system.

So I marked it to a place nearby. Don't know if that matters.

Also, for the record, I live in an area where Google earth can't find it. Not sure if they use the same technology, but thought I'd mention that.

Well 'bro'.......

Guess you better call support at 866-486-6866 since the unit has a 1-year warranty.

Ask a Question