TomTom XL Live wont turn on

Hi
My Tomtom XL Live will not turn on past the logo stage. I get the blue screen but it wont boot up into the map view it just goes back and forth between the Tomtom logo and the blue screen. I have plugged into Tomtom Home and all updates happen as normal. I have tried to do a restore but unfortunately I dont have a backup to restore from. I have tried the 20 second reset but to no avail.Is there any way I can wipe the device and try reinstalling the software??

Thanks

Try connecting to Home. Does Home 'see' the unit? If so, ty running the emulator (Operate my unit) and add a favourite. Then disconnect from Home properly.

Any better?

Similar problem here with XL 340S Live. Runs the first logo, runs the hard drive progress bar screen, runs the splash screen then hangs. Process repeats endlessly.

I can only access device when tethered to computer and then HOME launches. Everything functions as was thru HOME but not when device is stand-alone. When tethered to computer, there is no option for "Connect to..." it just launches HOME.

I've run the gamut of steps found here and on TT's site. The last I tried was to reformat and install an earlier backup. After that, It initially would finally provide me with Computer Yes or No screen but would kick out error after error regarding device/map/whatever mismatches as it looked for updates. Having had that option screen once does give me some hope with a rollback restore.

I usually do a "real" backup prior to any map updates.

I just renewed my Services (but not maps) for an upcoming road trip so this has me a little miffed at the moment. I'm sure I'm forgetting to mention something.

Ah, just remembered this - I believe it began after I installed HOME on a WIN7 laptop (slowly replacing my XP Pro laptop) and checked the compatibility. Being it ran fine thru HOME, I put it aside.

It may have began after that. My attempts to restore/rollback the device, after finding the glitch, is on the XP laptop.

Any ideas?

TIA

That was step #2 for me, after trying a power reset. Those two I also do after every one of the other many steps I've tried if it fails to boot in stand-alone mode.

The only step I've not done is to "Reset Factory Settings". That option is greyed out when running the device from HOME. (Step #7 in the "TomTom Acting Up?" sticky). Besides those two pages, I've tried everything on the TomTom site that's even remotely related to a bad power up besides what I've found on this site.

Well, after finding no joy with any combo of things and also with replacing individual files with those from a known working backup (map related, or other "date grouped" files) I once again reformatted and copied the last known working backup to the device.

Goes right into splash screen and then map, as it should, while in stand-alone. I haven't retried updating from HOME (2.9) again yet and think I'll roll that back to the 2.8 before I do.

My Services are showing current so if nothing else works perhaps I'll just update what I need for the road without any major updates (if I can do that). for the time being.

My last know working backup is from last Dec and my latest backup is from this May which was done on the WIN7 laptop and provided this looping as does any current major updating.

I know this doesn't help "alenbee" who is without a backup and I apologize for hijacking his thread. Our symptoms are the same so...

Rolled back HOME to 2.8.2.2264, connected and HOME updated to 2.8.3.2499. Everything continued to function.

Updated whatever Services were available - everything except MapShare and whatever the last map offered to me was. My map subscription expired with that last one so I let it slide just in case. The update process ran without the previous TT system errors

I had updated that map on Feb 27 and it worked fine but in the backup from May 1st, there are also a few map patch files with that same date. I left what I determined to be map related files alone and kept the older ones.

The end result so far is that with HOME 2.8.3.2499 and without whatever was pushed to me on May 1st, it runs fine now. I copied over all my POIs and ITN files that were created since the Dec backup that I installed and all seems well.

I;ll back it up as is now and try a map update tomorrow. My problem is either with that last map or the 2.9 HOME update.

Have an XL Live IQ routes Europe. Was working fine but suddenly from yesterday it also won't turn on. Goes to TOM TOM screen and no further.

Have tried several times holding on/off until I get the drum roll to no effect.

Connected to Tom Tom Home - recognises and updates unit. Tried running Operate my unit and adding a favourite as suggested above, with no effect.

Do not have a back up stored.

OK I backed up as you suggested, then I've also followed all the instructions in the System Recovery threads, then when none of them worked I re-formatted as you suggested and then re-installed from the back up - still no effect, unit does not get past the Tom Tom screen.

Suggest you format (again) and just hook the unit up and see if Home will supply the firmware for you anew. Even after a format, your unit should connect to Home correctly.

Try that and let us know what version firmware Home provides to you on the first attempt (check the 'details' of the download first).

If that works, we can copy just your map folder back to your unit from the backup.

Very good. What firmware version did you finally wind up with?

I think it was 8.42 to start with but it updated a couple of times after that. Interestingly it didn't re-install the standard voices I had to manually add them from Tom Tom Home

Thanks again

Ask a Question