TomTom XL freezing on startup (was "4et03")

Hi,
Thanks for the suggestions. I've just tried them all in turn as best I can but still no joy. A few questions:

Re "7. To perform a Factory Reset and a battery reset": as far as I can see I can't do this because the instructions assume I can start it up! Or is there a workaround?

I went through the steps in Part 2 and at step 7 installed the application update Home offered me. But then at step 9 when I disconnected the device (where's it best to do this (in the bottom RH corner of Home, or from the windows taskbar like other USB devices?) you say "wait for it to reboot" but all that happened was that it reverted to the hands logo and froze until I pressed the recessed reset button.

I tried following your suggestion at step 10, so I uninstalled Home 2 and reinstalled Home 1, which was overwritten by my attempted update yesterday (don’t think I’d connected the TT to the PC since 2010) – it seemed to me that things started to go wrong yesterday when I installed Home 2. However running Home it repeatedly reports “Parse Error in <location of program files.” (even though I’d just emptied the folder) and “Line 3: invalid value for ‘language’ attribute ‘en-GB’. Valid values have RFC1766 format (e.g. ‘en’ or ‘en_US’).”. Didn’t seem to let me install anything.
Can you help???
Thanks

Hi,
I've finally made a bit of progress after lots of trial and error by:
1. Reformatting
2. Running Home 2 and letting it install new s/w; when I disconected it told me I had no maps.
3. Copying the Western_and_Central_Europe_2GB folder from my backup onto the drive.
The TT now "works" in a manner of speaking. However I notice there are lots of files and folders in my backup that aren't on the device, and obviously some of them are quite important since, for example, postcode searches don't work any more. Is there any way of knowing what files/folders I need to make it fully functional again, short of more trial and error which will take ages? I found before that copying everything back from my backup froze it (I don't have a pre-failure backup).
Any further help appreciated!

OK, I think I've got it all working again by copying across the missing folders from my backup. It all seems to be OK now. I've learned my lesson and quickly made a new backup :) Thanks for the help.

Sorry we were'nt around for a few hours while you were finding your own solutions. But well done for getting there on your own. :)

Ask a Question