TomTom XL: CSV import

Hello Guys,
a friend gave me his TomTom XL and wants me to import some addresses from a csv file, but I have no idea how to do so. I found several guides talking about online converting tools and PoiEdit or something, but nothing worked so far. I think that this TomTom XL supports this kind of action cause theres a "ITN" folder all the guides talk about.
Can you guys tell me what kind of structure the csv file (column count, column names?) must have and what I have to do step by step? Thank you guys.

Also, once you've converted your .csv files to .ov2 format, you need to put them into the folder for your map (which will be called "Europe" or "USA and Canada" or something similar) NOT the "itn" folder you mentioned - that's for something else entirely.

Your files should end up in the list of POIs.

If you want a graphic icon to show beside the name (and on the map) you will also want to add an icon file.Let us know if you want help with that.

To answer your original question about the .csv file format, there are a few slightly different column layouts in use by different companies.

One of the commonest is Garmin's, and those (in their simplest form) have one row of data for each location with 3 values in each row: longitude, latitude, name

Here's an example with 2 locations:
-123.12345,34.98765,"Fred's House"
-123.12332,34.98622,"Dave's Garage"

Things to be aware of:
1. Use decimal degrees for the coordinates (not degrees, minutes, seconds)
2. Start each location on a new line
3. Remember the longitude must be listed first (which is rather unusual)

POIEdit is yet another program that can do the conversion. They can all cope with most of the usual .csv formats.

Ask a Question