tomtom xl cracked screen

So i got a tomtom xl from a buddy. It had a cracked screen, i opened it and removed the cracked glass charged it up powered it up and.....now it is no longer a touch screen, cant do anything! Where im going with this is, i would like to know how to if possible to force it to go to browse map directly after powering on just like my smaller one does i have i believe a tom tom one one or something of the sort. I need help and btw i do not know the exact model number but i can give you a device id or what ever else helps from the screen i can pull up after 30 second reset and power on hold..........any help is appreciated. Thanks

Okay, ive actually been to that site and it got me no where, the sticker that was on the bottom of the device is no longer there. It must have been in a vehicle in the summer heat. (this is how i received it.

Connect to a computer and look at the contents using Explorer (or Finder if a Mac).

Look for a text file called ttgo.bif. (in the root of the unit).

If you find it, the first couple of lines should show the model and serial number.

Assuming you already have a TomTom (you said "just like my smaller one does"), connect it to your PC, let Home fire up, and check the info on your unit by selecting

Help / System Information
Scroll down to where it says "Connected device: ..." and get us the first two characters of your serial number at "Serial:"

That will tell us what you own.

The screen i pull up shows as follows:
Tomtom one <tm> (c) tomtom 2003-2010 build -n/a-
hardware type : Tomtom xl
subid <feature> 0 1 : 00(0000000d00000000)
boot loader version: S5.5274 clist#540743 rvct
checksum: 5d0f
memory: 64 mb, type mddr
cpu id:32450003
clocks: 264.0 132.0 66.0
gps type: Gl2 bcm4750 ffff
tft type : Samsung lms430hf29 26
internal flash capacity: 2007040 kb
mmc nand version (prv): 36 48.0 mhz 4 b samsung
start up mode: Power down
device id: (starts with, gj3370....)
touchscreen calib. Data: 217 824 338 650 @3300mv
battery boot voltage: 3909 mv 0x0374 0x0305
rtc:( just shows date and time)

connect to a computer and look at the contents using explorer (or finder if a mac).

Look for a text file called ttgo.bif. (in the root of the unit).

If you find it, the first couple of lines should show the model and serial number.

ive found the file but do not know how to open the .bif file

Last edited:
all i want it to do is show me where i am. Not to show me how to get places. I understand in the condition its in i cant do much. I want some one to try and explain to me how to get this model to power on and go to the browse map feature with out having to press anything on the screen, i have a tom tom one (small grey one) it powers on and goes right to the map browsing.......!help!

A TomTom will usually power up on the screen it was on when you last powered it down, that's what you're seeing on your own unit, but that will only happen UNLESS it has rebooted or has run down completely and then been recharged.

In those cases, you are going to get a screen that will require a response from you, I don't know of any way to avoid that.

I would say your best bet is to get a new combined screen and digitiser (the touch panel). Thry are pretty easy to get from places like eBay.

Ask a Question