TomTom XL and VIA series have different US maps?

Hi,

I wonder if anyone knows--

do TomTom XL series have different kind of US maps compared to TomTom VIA series?

The reason is, I have both an XL340TM (w/ latest map update downloaded yesterday), and a VIA 1435TM I purchased two weeks ago (no map update performed yet).

The location of the same address on the maps of these two models are *different*.

The location of the address shown on the XL 340TM is incorrect (half a block off), while the location shown on the VIA 1435TM map is accurate.

XL340TM US-Canada-Mexico map version : 875.3669
VIA 1435TM US-Canada-Mexico map version : 860.3194

Anyone has any information?

Thx.

PS: The map location of this address on the XL340TM has always been incorrect since I purchased this GPS over 1 year ago.

Last edited:
Interesting .......

It could be the code for interpreting the map data is better on the Via than on the 340, even with a newer map.

Just guessing, of course ....................

The VIA has 4gb of memory available for the map, the XL has 2gb and it's already maxed out.

It's possible that Tomtom has removed address precision on the XL to attempt to shrink the map to fit the available space.

Ask a Question