Tomtom XL 340S internal memory

I just recently got the XL 340S as a gift and downloaded the new map for it. Since the message said it would take about 2 hours to download, I went out for a little bit. When I came back, the map had downloaded, however it did not install to the internal memory. It said I needed to remove 4.1MB in order to do it. So I went ahead and deleted an item, and when I tried to go back to that menu page where it said to install into the internal memory, it was nowhere to be found. Where do I find it?

I hope this makes sense =/ this is my first time owning a GPS.

Also I have another question. On my friend's GPS, at the top it writes out where to turn like for instance "Turn left on Farm Bureau Rd". I know on the Tom Tom, it voices the direction but is there the option where it can show where I need to turn beforehand? ( I know it shows the main freeways but I was hoping for more details than just that )

Last edited:
You will find the downloaded (compressed) map .cab file in this location:

C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads\complete\maps

Sorry....forgot about that part.

There is a setting to show the street you need to make your next turn onto. My unit isn't here (you'd think I'd remember, though :eek: ). It may be under 'safety' preferences ... it's somewhere, though.

Hmmm...alright, I will take a look at it and see if I can find it. Please let me know if you know where to find it exactly though! :)

The option is set under the Preferences section. Under Preferences select the "Show ALL menu options" feature. Under the "Street name preferences" area select the Show next street name. The next street name will show at the top of the screen.

You can find more information on Page 36 of the 140(s)/XL340(s) manual.

Ask a Question