Tomtom won't honor promo?

Dax

Hey guys i bought a tomtom 920 last Aug and it came with a promo for free maps for 1 year. Now i did get one free map already but i noticed there is a new version out and the promo is still valid, So i asked for another and this is what they said:

"At TomTom we release map updates as regular as possible. On average, new maps are released at least 4 times per year. In the future, we aim to release map updates more regularly than this also.

We appreciate that you have a recent downloadable map from our website and we have now release a new map version. We regret to inform you that we cannot offer you a free map update to the latest maps.

The map version you have is one of the most up to date maps available and of the highest quality. Our latest maps will not have any significant changes from the previous map version.

With all version 7 maps, of which you have bought, it includes MapShare Technology where you can make and receive free corrections to your existing map. This will help to keep your device up to date. Although it is not compulsary to update your maps, we only recommend that you need to update your maps at least once per year.
"

So what do you think? Should i cry foul? Does the latest North American map not have map corrections? Seems odd too that they promo buying 4 map updates a year for a certain price, Goes against what they say in the qoute.

Last edited:
If you read the small print on TomTom's map policies, they reserve the right to deny LMG (which they allowed anyway for you) for any devices purchased with maps more than one-year old. They may try to use that in an argument denying you the coupon use. That offer BTW went away over a year ago, tho buyers still find a stray unit with the coupon in the box on very rare occasions. I'd certainly call and ask for a supervisor. You have a coupon with no expiration date (afaik), and you want see what excuse they give you for it not being valid. Yes, you have a reason to cry foul.

TT 1 Yr map guarantee

I have the 1 year certificate, and each time a map update comes out, I have to phone TT.
Some of the Help desk people know about this, and some don't, which is quite surprising for this company. You can scan (or fax) your certificate and email to them, and they will keep in your file.
Be persistent, forceful and polite and you will get your map update.

Hey guys i bought a tomtom 920 last Aug and it came with a promo for free maps for 1 year. Now i did get one free map already but i noticed there is a new version out and the promo is still valid, So i asked for another and this is what they said:

"At TomTom we release map updates as regular as possible. On average, new maps are released at least 4 times per year. In the future, we aim to release map updates more regularly than this also.

We appreciate that you have a recent downloadable map from our website and we have now release a new map version. We regret to inform you that we cannot offer you a free map update to the latest maps.

The map version you have is one of the most up to date maps available and of the highest quality. Our latest maps will not have any significant changes from the previous map version.

With all version 7 maps, of which you have bought, it includes MapShare Technology where you can make and receive free corrections to your existing map. This will help to keep your device up to date. Although it is not compulsary to update your maps, we only recommend that you need to update your maps at least once per year.
"

So what do you think? Should i cry foul? Does the latest North American map not have map corrections? Seems odd too that they promo buying 4 map updates a year for a certain price, Goes against what they say in the qoute.

Sounds like you are between sucking it up or whining like a baby. Since Tomtom is going to continue updating their maps regardless if you upgrade I recmmend sucking it up. Use Digital Mapping & Navigation Solutions- Tele Atlas to tell if a new map benefits you. If not ignore it, if it does the upgrade....

Then use Home too upgrade...

The OP has a certificate good for one year. One year is not up. He's entitled to one year's worth. That includes the 830 but, since he got it in August, he may miss out on the next map due about the end of August.

Same as the crappy Latest Map Guarantee informing people they have the latest map when they don't...

If you read the small print on TomTom's map policies, they reserve the right to deny LMG (which they allowed anyway for you) for any devices purchased with maps more than one-year old. They may try to use that in an argument denying you the coupon use. That offer BTW went away over a year ago, tho buyers still find a stray unit with the coupon in the box on very rare occasions. I'd certainly call and ask for a supervisor. You have a coupon with no expiration date (afaik), and you want see what excuse they give you for it not being valid. Yes, you have a reason to cry foul.

What small print is that? The small print I'm looking at is on the back of the promo coupon: "With the Tomtom GO 920 You are entitled to download all the new map releases for one year at no charge."
The promo does not have an expiry date on it so you would think it would expire one year from when i bought it (Aug 28, 2008)

Strangely enough, The Code I'm supposed to enter online has never worked from day 1.

Call Tomtom - they should be able to give you a map on the spot if you can fax them your receipt and certificate.

Email support has been pretty useless based on other member's posts. Seems like they blindly take the closest web-support article and respond with it to you. Some have speculated that a robot responds to initial emails and you only get a human to read email once you reply to the robot response.

So it's best to call.

Been there, Done that.

Keep on their case, they WILL relent. Not only are you entitled to map upgrades for a year you are entitled to ALL map upgrades, e.g N.A and EU (if your unit came with EU maps).

If at first you don't succeed, try try again, I usually find asking to speak to the supervisor resolves the issue pretty quickly.

ex-egll

I also had that coupon and each time there was a new release, I received the new map. I Have received 3 map updates with that coupon.BTW, you should call and not email :)

They gave me the updated maps :) I will remember to call and not e-mail next time.
However now I'm confused as to why the v810.1907 map is bigger then the v830.2284 :confused:

With each new map release, they use a tighter compression algorithm to get maps to 'fit'.

Ask a Question