TomTom Will Not Turn Off (Eclipse with V6.552)

TomTom Model(s)
One Duo (Eclipse)
I updated my TomTom Eclipse AVN2210p with software version 6.552.7843 via the TomTom home application and have been having a problem ever since. I believe this update was called "TomTom application update for Eclipse and Toyota" in TomTom Home.

The unit works as expected, but when I turn my car off, the TomTom GPS unit will turn off, but then turns on again about 30 seconds later. It comes up with the initial green legal "GPS is dangerous while driving" message and then says "Welcome to TomTom" when I press "I Agree" like it did when I first purchased it. If I eject the TomTom from the dash and turn it off, it will start back up again. Sometimes it stays in this loop until the battery dies and it will finally shut off. Each time it restarts it works fine, GPS, Bluetooth Handsfree, Etc, It just does not want to shut off.

Before installing this version, when the car was turned off, the TomTom would turn off immediately and stay off. When the car was started again, it would immediately turn on and would not display the legal message.

The updated version seems to work with my new phone whereas the original version did not, so I would hate to have to use my backup as I would lose the handsfree ability. I have a Motorola Q9m.

I contacted TomTom support and got the general tech support run around. Asking me to to a soft reset which I did, and to remove and then reinstall the update which I did. Neither of these suggestions corrected the problem.

If anyone has experienced this problem or can point me towards a solution, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks,
Dan

I have a one. Its been doing the same thing. I wait until I see the TomTom splash screen displays and hit the off button again. that works for me, until I can find out whats going on.

Thanks for the suggestion... Unfortunately the "clear flash" tool had no effect on the problem. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

If there are no other options I would say to go back to your previous firmwire if you have a backup.

I just ran error checking on the PND and it seems to be shutting down okay. I'll give it a day or so before I say it is fixed...but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

okay so the error checking/repair did nothing, it would still restart. I did download mobilnova to the PND and its really cool...still trying to get the sound to play through the speakers, but I up graded to a 2gig SD card and now it shuts off fine. I am really at a loss of why but I am very thankful.

it may have something to do with the fact that when I exit mobilnova the PND does a sort of soft reset while still in the cradle.

it's not the mobilnova b/c it did the same thing with the 1gig card. You might want to copy everything on the card to you pc via a card reader/writer and then format the card and reinstall.

Last edited:
I am having the same problem here, which is how I found this site by the way... reverted back to the 6.550 software and it seems okay. Not very good quality control, or just an honest mistake... anyone know what was supposed to be fixed/changed in 6.552? I couldn't find a changelog anywhere.

Great find veekay, thank you!

(would be nice if that was stated on the HOME application or something so this doesn't happen to us "bloody yanks")

At least i'm not the only one any more...

Okay, I've fixed the issue with my unit. It seems that I had a problem with my TomTom 1GB SD card. I copied my backup with V6.552 to another 1GB SD card that I had laying around and it now works fine with no restart issues.

This site also has a bunch of information on this unit:
http://www.gpsreview.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=9654

I had no problems with this card before the install of 6.552 so I'm a bit curious if the update somehow caused the SD card problem? I read somewhere that the problem may be caused by the amount of available space on the SD card and a temporary file not being written correctly. Some SD cards have a different formatted capacity than others of the same size, so this may also explain why my second SD card works. Perhaps the update pushes the space over the edge and causes the issue with the TomTom SD card?

Good luck...

BTW... I've heard mention of a version 6.553 update. Does anyone know what the difference is between 6.552 and 6.553? I'm scared to try it after the 6.552 issues!

Fix for me

My unit did all this as well after i put on 6.552(?)

I narrowed it down to the data collection for routing improvment tomtom stuff. Anyway. In the config screens, reset ur unit. Then if you plug it into your pc or the tomtom ask if it is ok to record for quality improvement, answser no. I dont know why the unit reacts to an option like that. I have duplicated the cause and verified solution.

Interesting way to find the bug, thanks for the information...

I fired up HOME the other day and found that 6.553 had been released for "eclipse and toyota" and that cleared up everything. I even went so far as to load 6.552 on a spare 1GB memory card and popped it in... went back to having issues, swapped to the other card with 6.553 on it, no issues at all.

It appears it was just a bug that made it through their quality control process - these things happen.

Thanks to the BB members who suggested the 2GB SD card as a potential fix - it worked like a charm for me. After formatting & transferring all the files from the OEM SD card to the new 2GB one, the pod began behaving itself, and would shut down and stay down after shutting the car off, instead of waitng 30 seconds or so, then restarting & waiting at the legal disclaimer screen. It was a great help, especially when you don't want an open current drain when you leave the car unattended at work (nothing can make you smile quite like a drained battery after a double at work...) Anyhow, thanks again to all for the helpful info... this was an easy fix, and the best $20 I've spent recently!

Hi All,

I just found this thread and have been having these exact same propblems with my Eclipse after doing the 6.553 update:

1. constant rebooting
2. having to approve that green license page each time I start my car

So, I purchased a 2gb SD card, and after copying the contents of the default card in the Eclipse (via USB connection to Eclipse on WinXP), I shut down the Eclipse, then removed the factory card and put in my new, blank 2GB SD.

I then connected the unit to my computer via USB again and turned it on. I picked Yes on the connect to computer? question, then TomTom Home launched and asked me if I wanted to download all of the missing items, which of course is everything. I did this (including the new US/Canada map-- be prepared for a few hours to download this and copy over to the Eclipse), then disconnected the unit and restarted it.

Heavenly. Now the unit shuts-down and restarts in a few seconds and does not bring up that green approval screen. Same behavior when docked-- when I turn on my ignition, the Eclipse just turns on and shows the GPS map like it should.

In summary, it looks like the 1GB factory card may not be providing enough 'headroom' for the new OS. Who knows. Anyway, thanks to all who posted on this thread. I learned more from you than the hour I spend on the phone last week with TomTom support. They don't seem too knowledgeable or maybe not willing to investigate more on these items.

Great help

Hello all,

Thanks to everyone, especially ivillages. I recently upgraded the system software but then found myself having to approve the green license page everytime I started my car which wasn't occurring before.

I copied all the files to a new 2GB SD card and voila, no more problems. I'm slightly annoyed at TomTom for not including a 2GB card in the first place but even more annoyed that they didn't give a warning via Home. Oh well, everything is working properly now and that's what matters.

Ask a Question