TOMTOM will not connect

TomTom Model(s)
go 750 live
TomTom not connected

Hi
New member with a connection problem.

I have a TomTom Go 750 live and when it is connected to the computer in the toolbar it shows the Home live symbol which is saying no device connected but the usb port is saying this device is working and is ready to use the unit is showing a red cross where the connector is displayed.

I can go into my computer and the drive shows up with all the files on the TomTom,I have done all updates with a reset on the device ie holding the on button for 15 seconds and all I get is the information in the unit regards software date with loads of other information.

I have been on the net for 2 days trying to sort the problem with loads of advice but no information is working,I have not changed my computer in anyway since I last did an update so a complete mystery.

Windows7 Home Premium,BitDefender internet security 2013.

Any help would be appreciated as this is driving me round the bend.

Norman

I've tried to assist you (I'm sure it's the same user) at TomTom Discussions.

The new info you've added here is this:

I
have done all updates with a reset on the device ie holding the on button for 15 seconds and all I get is the information in the unit regards software date with loads of other information.

If you are seeing that screen (called the diagnostic screen), then you are holding the power button too long. You need to hold it until you hear the drum sounds. Is that happening?

TomTom not connected

Hi
Yes same person I thought this was a different forum,no reflection on your advice but problem is still there and getting desperate now.

Yes heard drum beat and let the power button go and getting the red cross through the connector.

Thanks anyway but looks as though I am stuck with this as I have tried everything I think this is going to have to be a repair,I have 2 cables supplied with the unit one that plugs straight into the unit and 1 that goes into the holder with the small connector on and I am getting the problem with both :eek:

TomTom not connected

After trying to sort this problem without success I have had to give up,there are so many people with this problem and TomTom don't want to know,like a lot of large company's they sell the product and then you are on your own.

This is one comment on the internet that I picked up but believe me there are so many it is unbelievable (sort yourself out TomTom and help your customers and don't say £105 for a repair because as far as I am concerned this is not a repair but A FIX by a download from them.

I have had the same problem with Go 740 live it works ok though with windows xp but windows 7 x64 it just wont see the connection, I have tried on and off for 2years now to get it to work. tomtom when through the various bits but in the end they gave up, so did i , all their devices seem to be flawed in one way or another, I will never buy another one from them. They just bring out a new model and hope it will cover all the other buggy ones. Because they have no idea how to engineer the flaws.

So if I understand correctly ...

Your device is properly connecting to your PC (since you can open it as an external drive and see all of the files), but it is only Home that does not seem to be able to recognize the connected device?

No amount of rebooting, etc., is going to change that, then.

The good news is that the PC recognizes the device, the USB session is being properly negotiated with Windows, and usbstor.sys is doing its job.

Home is loading since the OP is getting the systray icon.

So we're down to why Home can't see the device as an external USB storage device - that seems to be the only thing going wrong here. Will have to think on the possibilities a bit. My guess is that Home sees the unit, but does not recognize it as a TomTom device. I guess we could test that theory as well.

To the OP.

If you have manually opened Home as an application on your desktop for any reason, please close it.

Be sure that your device is connected and you can see the file structure with Explorer as you did before.

Open Task Manager. Please use the "Exit" button from the systray icon of Home. In Task Manager, you should see that this kills the TomTomHOMERunner process. This should leave only the TomTomHOMEService process running. Use Task Manager to kill the TomTomHOMEService process.

In the folder where you installed Home (probably Program Files / TomTom Home 2), execute the TomTomHome.exe application. Home should appear on your desktop as a running application. Use the tab Help and then select System Information from Home. Please copy and paste here what you find displayed under System Information.

System information as requested.
In my toolbar as I said earlier I am seing (Open devices and Printers EJECT GO 750 LIVE Removable disk(F) Internal (G) so as you say my computer is seing the software ok but not my satnav.

Profile folder = C:\Users\norman\AppData\Roaming\TomTom\HOME\Profiles\i2c4f9xt.default
Installation folder = C:\Program Files (x86)\TomTom HOME 2
Plugins folder = C:\Program Files (x86)\TomTom HOME 2\xul\plugins
Data folder = C:\Users\norman\Documents\TomTom\HOME
Version = 2.9.5.3093
Language = en-GB
User name = Anonymous
Login status = User is not logged in
Server = https://home.tomtom.com/redir/
Connection settings = Direct connection to the Internet (default)
Installed add-ons = Map status indicator 1.7.1, TomTom HOME default theme 1.0.2
Name =
Device Code =
Serial number =
Capabilities =
Storage devices =
Installed Items =
Error incident IDs =
* Computer info:
Operating system: Windows NT 6.1 (build 7601, Service Pack 1)
Free memory: -1699024896 bytes
User home directory: "C:\Users\norman\Documents\"
Home volume space: 159536 / 201359 MB
Temporary directory: "C:\Users\norman\AppData\Local\Temp\"
Temp volume space: 159536 / 201359 MB
Install directory: "C:\Program Files (x86)\TomTom HOME 2\xulrunner\"
Install volume space: 159536 / 201359 MB
External volume devices: F: [F:] 1829 / 1885 MB ; G: [INTERNAL] 1954 / 1956 MB
OS login name: "USER ID"
Host name: "norman-PC"
Date and time: 2013-04-01 16:23:56
* HOME info:
DLL Version: 2.9.5.3093
MapShare DLL Version: 2.9.5.3093
Language: en-GB
* Connected device: "TomTom GO LIVE"
ID: "AKVSE BAAQA"
Type: "go750_2048_t_weu"
Serial: "W45420G00614"
ttgo.bif file contents:
[TomTomGo]
DeviceName=TomTom GO LIVE
DeviceVersionHW=GO 750 LIVE
DeviceSerialNumber=W45420G00614
DeviceUniqueID=AKVSE BAAQA
RamDiskVersion=20120927
BootLoaderVersion=55259
LinuxVersion=842337
ApplicationVersionVersionNumber=9465
ApplicationVersion=1074274.1
UserLanguage=English UK
UserName=
LastConnectionTime=1970/01/01,00:00:00,UTC
LastConnectionPhone=
GPSFirmwareVersion=2.16.201 77382
BuiltInColorScheme0=Belgica
BuiltInColorScheme1=Brittanica
BuiltInColorScheme2=America
BuiltInColorScheme3=Germanica
BuiltInColorScheme4=Australia
BuiltInColorScheme5=Deuteranopia
BuiltInColorScheme6=Greys
BuiltInColorScheme7=Antarctica
BuiltInColorScheme8=Africa
BuiltInColorScheme9=Astra
BuiltInColorScheme10=Asia
BuiltInColorScheme11=Brasilia
BuiltInColorScheme12=Concordia
BuiltInColorScheme13=NewAnglia
CurrentColorSchemeBuiltIn=11
CurrentVoiceInfo=Special 16
CurrentMap=
CurrentMapVersion=0.0
Traffic=N
CurrentFuelpricesType=
CurrentFuelpricesTypeString=
CurrentFuelpricesLastFullUpdate=
ValueRatio=CGvlsUcNbEirVfel2Q==
Features=PlusDownloadDynamic,PlusDownloadGeneral,PlusDownloadMap,PlusDownloadPOI,PlusDownloadScheme,PlusDownloadUpgrade,PlusDownloadVoice,PlusDownloadRingTone,PlusMessageNotification,PlusForceMessageNotification,PlusPushChannel,PlusTraffic,PlusOrRDSTMCTraffic,PlusWeather,PlusEphemeris,PlusSafetyCamerasDynamic,PlusRoadConditions,PlusSafetyCamerasStatic,PlusFuelPrices,HDTraffic,Hercules,HerculesTraffic,Oxford,PlusTripReporting,OnDevicePayments,HidRemote,HomeBackup,GPRSEngine,TTS,TTSCompressed,TTSLoquendo700,PhotoViewer,PhotoJPGViewer,PhotoBMPViewer,VoiceBrowser,LinkVolumeToNoise,MapShare,Newyork,Itinerary,Caymann,Durham,Leeway,Handsfree,PhoneFeatures,CarSymbol,TextureRendering,ExtraSounds,UserSkin,RichPOI,FrequentDestinations,PermanentMapCfg,InternalModem,RDSTMC,Bluetooth,SDSlot,Microphone,SMSSupported,LiveServices,SettingsOverride,SDK,USBAccessories,HTTPActivation,MultipleMaps,Traffic,MapOverlays,Documents,WarningSounds,DangerZonesCameras
UnsupportedFeatures=PlusBuddies,PlusFuelPriceTimestamp,TrackMe,VoiceRecording,ASR,ASRCnC,TTSUncompressed,TTSNuance51,MP3,IPOD,MusicPlayer,Games,LinkVolumeToSpeed,ZeroVolumeSupported,CaymannAlwaysOn,MAC,DepartureAdvisor,RouteInfoBackToSummary,VehicleProfile,MapShareVehicleProfile,3DCarModels,Prague,HardDisk,InternalFlash,ExternalModem,Keyboard,SupportKeyControl,SupportGetAMap,Work,WorkEnabled,WorkPromotion,WorkTuria,WorkMurcia,WorkBremen,WorkUsePlus,WorkStartUpPromotion,SimpleMapBrowserButtonBar,AltDefaultCarSymbol,ArrivalSounds
SupportedPatchTypes=3F
NrSupportedErrorTypes=138
UserPatchDatVersion=102
CompressedPatchVersion=200
MapServerPatchDatVersion=105
DeletedPoiDatVersion=200
ServerLineIndexDatVersion=102
ServerNameIndexDatVersion=102
MapShareSupportedProviders=243
CharacterSet=TTU
VehicleBrand=
VehicleModel=
VehicleOptions=
IL #1: 'Memory Card' 1829 free/1885 total MB Block Size 32768 Media Name 'Storage' serial $fcd30011, Writable
IL #2: 'Internal Memory' 1954 free/1956 total MB Block Size 4096 Media Name 'InternalMemory' serial $90c53a0e, Writable
* Connection Status:
Test1: Request Code of http://home.tomtom.com/media/suppliers/check.png: 200, (Success)
Test2: Request Code of https://home.tomtom.com/media/suppliers/check.png: 200, (Success)
Test3: Request Code of http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/application/releases/check.png: 200, (Success)
Test4: Request Code of http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/application/releases/check.zip: 200, (Success)
Test5: Request Status of http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/application/releases/check.zip for Byte Range: 206, (Success)

I have had a change in my toolbar it is now saying it is connected in the past it has always said it is NOT connected but when I try to download or just turn it on it still shows the red cross,it does come up now when I turn it on (do you want to connect to the computer so I say yes but then I still get the red cross on the connector.

Boy, does this sound familiar. I've had that set of symptoms myself. It was stranger yet. I would use Explorer to review the content of the device, and usually, the first time, it would successfully bring up the file structure for viewing. On later attempts, it would bring up the device as a completely blank folder. Not sure if you're to that point just yet. That last bit you posted is important, as it means that the device also recognizes the connection to the PC at times, but wasn't before.

My discovery was that my USB port was dying. Kind of like Billy Crystal's description of Wesley in The Princess Bride ... "mostly dead".

Although I had one thumb drive that was still functional, neither my TomTom 740 nor my Pentax digital camera had reliable connections via USB. 99% of the time, it was good enough to transfer the little bit of data necessary to negotiate the USB session with Windows, but after that, things were on and off. Since the USB chip was integrated into the motherboard, in the interim, I used the BIOS to shut down the internal USB and tossed in a cheap PCI based USB card. Got by just fine with that for some time until I replaced the computer altogether.

Your situation may not be as bad as mine .. may only be as flaky as others have experienced. Do you have access to both front and rear USB ports? Which have you traditionally been using for your TomTom? Are you using the original TomTom cable for the connection?

Hi
I have tried mine on my 3 computers with the same results,using the usb connectors on the back of all 3 of them and using the USB2 fast USB.

The problem keeps changing what I am getting now is when I press the power button I get a white screen for about 15 seconds and then it says NO MAPS FOUND CONNECT YOUR DEVICE TO TOMTOM HOME so as I said different every time I try it out.

I have two cables that came with it one that goes straight in to it and one that goes through the holder and then connected with same results.

"No maps found" is not a good sign. That's not a connection issue. If that popped up out of the blue (no mods or updates since a time when it did NOT say this), then it sounds very much as though there is something seriously wrong with the device itself.

We could deal with the 'no maps found' issue if that were your only issue, and if you could reliably connect to a PC. But those two issues are so completely disparate that I'm not holding out a lot of hope that the unit can be recovered properly now.

Are you now seeing the "No maps found" issue consistently when powering on unplugged? Does the power button 20 second reset help this condition at all?

Thanks everybody for all there help and advice but have contacted 3 repair places to have a look at it because as you say it is probably the unit packed up ( not vey impressed with such low usage) paid £165.00 through Amazon for this load of junk.

If it can't be repaired at a sensible price it is going straight into the bin.

Anyway guys I am closing this post as I am sick and tired of trying all your helpful suggestions which have not worked so I am convinced the unit has given up the ghost
My brother has had the GARMEN for 3 years now which he uses a lot with no problems so that is the road I am going down.

No Customer relations with this company at all just there standard £105 for a repair (LOOK AFTER YOUR CUSTOMERS TomTom and you may keep them) this is not a RANT just look in Google and put my fault in and as I said earlier a very common fault so as far as I am concered it is a design fault.:mad::rant:

If it were a design fault, **everybody** with that model would have the problem. Clearly, that is NOT happening.

Not everybody would get the fault I have had cars with a known design fault that not everybody gets.

As i said this discussion is closed I don't want to here anymore on the subject

Here hear!

My trusty old GO720 is still working after 6 years.

I have had this problem for over 2 weeks now and the final thing is this Company needs to get there site sorted out and treat there customers with a bit of respect we are not all idiots.

I was informed by TOMTOM to send this GO LIVE 750 for repair at a cost of £105.00 because it was faulty I kept getting the red cross on the unit to say it was not connected but my computer recognised it ok and said Go LIVE 750 was connected,I used the correct softwre TOMTOM HOME2 but it still said unit is not connected.

Look on the forum as this is a very common fault also GOOGLE it and it is the same there,I was not willing to pay TOMTOM price for a repair because it was robbery at £105,I sent this to 2 very reputable company's in LONDON that only repairs mobile phones and satnavs and they both said there is a very big problem with the TOMTOM site.

I had a phone call from the second company this morning and he said they have checked the unit thoughly and there are no faults and what they will do is upgrade it for me but to stay off the TOMTOM site as too many people are sending there satnavs to them with the same problem.

So thank you very much TOMTOM for causing me all these problems and expence to get 2 company's say the unit is working fine,I intend taking this further through the co.of fair trading.

Norman :eek::mad:

Norman... just to check... you do know WE are nothing to do with TomTom (the company) at all, don't you?
We are just owner/users like yourself.

(BTW - two topics merged)

Ask a Question