TomTom---what else do you pay for?

Hi Everyone,

I've been looking at getting a TomTom One...or at least asking for one from my Fiance Claus! Hahaha.

I have been looking all over the website, in the forums, etc. and I'm trying to figure out is there some sort of subscription service I would also need to pay for for map updates, updates in general, GPS, etc. I couldn't find anything and I wasn't positive.

Also, for anyone that does have the TomTom One (the new one for $149.99), how do you like it? Although I generally take the same route every day, I have just taken a new job that does occasionally require me to go to meetings that are nowhere near my home.

Also, what else can the TomTom One do?

:)
El

Map updates are usually not free. Some TT Plus services like Traffic and Safety Cameras are via a subscription. TT Traffic can be done in 2 ways;

[1] with a subscription and a wireless data connection from a cell phone (preferrably a GSM and not CDMA).

[2] via a TMC receiver. This is a one time expense.

I have read that the Safety Camera only works in the DC area. Here in Europe, it is widely used. The only European country not allowing this is Switzerland.

I don't own a TT1 so I have no idea on what other features it has. I suggest you check out TT's website for specs.

Tt1le

The best of the Holiday priced TomToms ($149 through January) is the TomTom One 3rd Edition LE (Limited Edition) at Best Buy (their exclusive). It's externally similar to the TomTom One 2nd Edition but has the Navcor 7 software which includes the Mapshare feature and Multiple Destination Itinerary's. It also has Bluetooth capability to connect to Traffic & Weather, but your phone needs to be on their compatibility list. It retains the SD card slot for adding maps (Europe, Asia, etc.) that don't fit onto the internal memory (2nd Edition didn't have internal memory). The Holiday pricing is based on an instant $100 rebate at most big box stores and expires at the end of January or so. Map updates on this unit are FREE through the TomTom Home PC software using the Latest Map Guarnatee feature.

If you buy the TomTom One 3rd Edition from other retailers (Circuit City, Sharper Image, Radio Shack, etc.), it will have the "Lite" version of the Navcor 7 software so you'll lose the Mapshare feature and the Multiple Destination Itinerary's. It also doesn't even offer you Bluetooth nor an SD card slot.

I repped last year's models and looked at the specs and did some research for this year's models so I decided to buy the Best Buy LE model that you're considering. I've had it for about a week and am very pleased with it and highly recommend it.

Hope this helps:)

Last edited:
Please understand that you can use the unit for free. If all you want to do is to have it guide you around, you will pay nothing. Every couple of years, when your map starts to fall a bit behind, you can purchase a new one. You don't have to pay for a subscription to traffic reports if you don't want to.

So essentially, you can buy it, walk out of the store, mount it in your car with the cig charger attached and it will guide you home. (Just make sure you have a clear view of the sky to get your first satellite link.)

[2] via a TMC receiver. This is a one time expense.

This is really not made clear on TomTom's site - you have to read a little footnote there. TMC traffic is not a one-time expense in the US. It requires a yearly subscription, but the first year is included with the receiver purchase.

See: http://www.tomtom.com/page.php?Page=rds-tmc

One-off cost for lifetime RDS-TMC subscription *4

Then scroll down to the bottom and read footnote #4...

*4 This is not applicable to the United States, where the RDS/TMC receiver comes with a 1 year subscription.

The free map updates are for 30 days after purchase (from what I understand). How much do they cost after that? TIA

If you buy the TomTom One 3rd Edition from other retailers (Circuit City, Sharper Image, Radio Shack, etc.), it will have the "Lite" version of the Navcor 7 software so you'll lose the Mapshare feature and the Multiple Destination Itinerary's. It also doesn't even offer you Bluetooth nor an SD card slot.

That is not totally accurate.

The TT One 3rd Edition with "Navcor 7 Lite" does have MapShare.

Ask a Question