Tomtom Web Site

TomTom Model(s)
One v2
Have anyone noticed the tomtom.com web site is been off line for a week now. Does anyone know whats going on? I been trying to update the tomtom home software and I cant.

Works for me...

What browser are you using?

I had an issue with Firefox a few months back.. I cleaned out the private data (tools / Clear Private data) and all was right with the world again...

Works for me...

What browser are you using?

I had an issue with Firefox a few months back.. I cleaned out the private data (tools / Clear Private data) and all was right with the world again...

I am using Firefox and I tried IE and still not working, says page can not be displayed. I was using TT Home to update and it says there isnt any internet connection.??

Well, I cleared out all the date from IE and Firefox and rebooted and still nothing. I never had a problem like this before, I can go to any page with no problems.

windows or mac?

on windows, go to start -> run and type cmd and click ok... this will open a DOS command prompt. enter the following command and hit enter:

Code:
nslookup www.tomtom.com

copy and paste what you get.

on mac, go to Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal... this will open a shell window, enter the following command and hit enter:

Code:
nslookup www.tomtom.com

you should get an IP address, for example, here is what I get from my mac:

Code:
Last login: Fri Nov  2 21:03:30 on ttys000
iMac:~ dave$ nslookup www.tomtom.com
Server:		192.168.1.188
Address:	192.168.1.188#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:	www.tomtom.com
Address: 193.173.148.208

192.168.1.188 is my DNS server... 193.173.148.208 is the IP for www.tomtom.com

after you get the IP, see if you can ping it... in either mac or windows:
Code:
ping 193.173.148.208
(change the IP to whatever you get)

You will either get "request timed out" in windows, or nothing in mac (hit ctrl-c to kill it)

If you get a bunch of numbers, you are able to talk to the server on an IP level... I am guessing you won't even get anything from nslookup, we can move on from there with the data you provide.

Awesome help N715DP, this would at least be able to tell whether you can coomunicate with the IP address of TomTom provided nslookup works.

I really don't know why so many people are having trouble accessing the site.

windows or mac?

on windows, go to start -> run and type cmd and click ok... this will open a DOS command prompt. enter the following command and hit enter:

Code:
nslookup www.tomtom.com

on mac, go to Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal... this will open a shell window, enter the following command and hit enter:

Code:
nslookup www.tomtom.com

Code:

Code:
ping 193.173.148.208

You will either get "request timed out" in windows, or nothing in mac (hit ctrl-c to kill it)

If you get a bunch of numbers, you are able to talk to the server on an IP level... I am guessing you won't even get anything from nslookup, we can move on from there with the data you provide.

Thanks for the information. I will try it on Monday since its my work computer. :)

windows or mac?

Code:
nslookup www.tomtom.com

Code:
nslookup www.tomtom.com

Code:

Code:
ping 193.173.148.208

OK this is what I get

Code:
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator>nslookup www.tomtom.com
Server:  nsmad.bellatlantic.net
Address:  151.198.0.38

Name:    www.tomtom.com
Address:  193.173.148.208

C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator>ping 193.173.148.208

Pinging 193.173.148.208 with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 193.173.148.208:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator>

well, we are making progress... your computer can translate the domain name into the ip address, but then it can't talk to the IP... that would lead to a routing issue... need you to run the following in a dos box:

Code:
tracert 193.173.148.208

this should give you a lot of numbers and eventually a line of * * * instead... paste it here and we can see where the route dies between you and the tom tom server.

DP

well, we are making progress... your computer can translate the domain name into the ip address, but then it can't talk to the IP... that would lead to a routing issue... need you to run the following in a dos box:

Code:
tracert 193.173.148.208

this should give you a lot of numbers and eventually a line of * * * instead... paste it here and we can see where the route dies between you and the tom tom server.

DP

Code:
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator>tracert 193.173.148.208

Tracing route to 193.173.148.208 over a maximum of 30 hops

1     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  2     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  3     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  4     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  5     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  6     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  7     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  8     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  9     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 10     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 11     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 12     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 13     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 14     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 15     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 16     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 17     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 18     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 19     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 20     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 21     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 22     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 23     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 24     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 25     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 26     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 27     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 28     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 29     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 30     *        *        *     Request timed out.

Trace complete.

C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator>

Crazy Brits, Web site is down!

The web site used to work! What gives? I can no longer access their site or get connectivity to the "Home" application. This has got to be costing them customers! Someone should call the UK and tell them! I'm guessing they made some kind of IP or network change that is cutting off much of the Internet. Oh yeah, the competitions sites work fine!
jmc

This is not a TomTom issue, the issue is with your first hop... as evident that you get no where with a trace route... you mentioned this was at work I think... does your company do any filtering of sites and/or Internet traffic? If so, it's possible it's being blocked - you can check with your IT department as appropriate.

If you were getting any hops back at all, you would be able to narrow down to a certain ISP and/or router as the culprit.

The web site used to work! What gives? I can no longer access their site or get connectivity to the "Home" application. This has got to be costing them customers! Someone should call the UK and tell them! I'm guessing they made some kind of IP or network change that is cutting off much of the Internet. Oh yeah, the competitions sites work fine!
jmc

jmc, if you are having the same issues, I suggest you run the same tests as I outlined earlier in this thread and get back to me with the results, you may or may not be experiencing the same problem, only testing will tell.

My company is very small with a basic router, networking 4 computers that I run, So I am the IT Guy here .. lol, No changes have been made at all. I can access the site from home with the same setup here at work.

My company is very small with a basic router, networking 4 computers that I run, So I am the IT Guy here .. lol, No changes have been made at all. I can access the site from home with the same setup here at work.

well, that certainly makes things easier... sort of... lets try this... on your previous nslookup, it used the bellatlantic DNS server (as it should with default settings), do an nslookup forcing to your linksys (assuming default network of 192.168.1.x):

Code:
nslookup www.tomtom.com 192.168.1.1

you "should" get back the same IP address as you did in the previous nslookup but I am guessing you won't get a response at all.

I remember seeing a few months ago that this happens from time to time with Linksys routers of many different models. Assuming I am correct that you received no response at all above, have you updated to the latest firmware for your particular router model? Also, if I am remembering correctly, a reboot of the router clears up the issue temporarily (not ideal). Do you have any special settings on your router and/or workstations... custom hosts files, static IP's, anything like that?

Sorry for the sometimes delayed responses, I am traveling this week.

I once had a similar problem. Both IE or Firefox wont access any websites. I unintalled IE7 and Firefox, installed IE6, checked if it worked and then upgraded to IE7.

Also make sure you have very current anti-spyware, anti-virus, etc. as some worms, bots, or other maleware will modify your hosts and lmhost files to reroute traffic to them. On windows you can find hosts in your <systemroot>/system32/drivers/etc directory. Open it with wordpad to see what's in there.
Good luck,
Chuck

Still not working

OK, I've pinged the site, per N715DP's instructions, and it does not show. Does anyone have any clues? Can anyone give me the support number for Tom Tom, obviously I can't get it on the internet.
jmc

Ask a Question