TomTom vs Garmin interface comparison

I took a bunch of pics comparing the interface on the TomTom ONE and Garmin nuvi 200. You can find them at http://www.brothersontech.com/blog/nathan/garmin-tomtom-interface-comparison

I've been using TomTom software for a couple of years, so I'm just more used to that. The Garmin certainly has some perks, but I really don't like the navigation screen. TomTom animates your motion more smoothly and provides a LOT of onscreen data including an arrow showing the direction of your next turn. The Garmin has a better map browser and much better POI and address lookup.

If you are on the fence, I hope this helps you decide if TomTom is right for you.

Like the screen shots show, I think the TomTom is really lacking in not giving the street address of the POI's when search for them. When you want to go to a certain one and it lists 5 nearby, it's useless.

Another thing that's really nice about Garmin's POI is the little arrows indicating the direction they are in. And the arrows are active as your position changes. Come on TomTom!! I know you can add some of these excellent little features.

Great pics! This is also a very good comparison of how the garmin units show many more 'map details' such as parks and water areas.

See this message for further discussion:

I don't have much experience with the Garmin, but I completely agree with you on the TomTom having a great nav display. I think the maps on my ONE XL are easy to read and really show turns, routes, etc. very well. I've never had any problems understanding it.

Nice pics! :)

I tried the Garmin a bit and found myself frustrated by the lack of information on the nav screen. Maybe I'm just used to TomTom or I'm an information junkie, but the lack of that big arrow showing the direction of the next turn, total distance and time remaining, etc was sorta frustrating. It seemed to me that it was harder to get the information you need at a glance.

Even this morning though as I thought about it, I'll really like the POI on the Garmin. I guess you can't have it all. There are shortcomings with both brands. However, the nav screen is terribly important. You look at it all the time and only occasionally use a POI.

Glad you liked the pics.

The Garmin has a better map browser and much better POI and address lookup.

Since you were talking about the POI's, I was just curious what you liked more about the Garmin than the TomTom's. I like how they're set up on my ONE XL, that I can search by category, "near me", or just search the master list. What are the differences?

Since you were talking about the POI's, I was just curious what you liked more about the Garmin than the TomTom's. I like how they're set up on my ONE XL, that I can search by category, "near me", or just search the master list. What are the differences?

Let's see....
1) The Garmin knows the full address of the destination which it shows at the end before routing. If you don't like it, you can hit the back button to pick a different one. TomTom doesn't know the address and also has no back button. You have to go through the whole selection process again to pick a different one.
2) The Garmin also has "live" direction arrows which indicate the direction relative to your current position for each POI in the list. These are live in that they update as you move.

That's all that comes to mind off the top of my head. I think the breakdown of the categories seems a little better too on the Garmin. See my pics for a better idea of what I'm talking about.

Hope that helps!

Wow, I didn't know that about the poi's. Thanks!

I don't have the unit anymore so I can't check but the "live" arrows might just be while following a route. I'm not sure if they work when you are just at a position. Just don't remember for sure.

Glad to help.

Great review.

I also had TT1 for 1 week, and 510 for 3 Months.
(yes, I am the one took both apart to check the battery spec)

Now I moved to Nuvi 200 as well.
In the case of TT1 vs Nuvi 200.... I'd like to add.

TT1:
Pro:
Better value!
Easily customized! (menu, start up screen, etc)
Easy Software update and POI management off PC!
Multiple language voice support!

Con:
3D map, road info on top portion pack too close. (I really don't need to see the horizon line)
Voice warning lack of "arrived designation ON YOUR LEFT or RIGHT"
Poor Windshield Mount
Terrible Battery Life, wouldn't last more than 100 min. (again, if you don't mind have power cord hanging over your center console, then it doesn't matter.)

Nuvi 200:
Pro:

EXTREMELY bright Non-reflective screen even direct sunshine. (this new screen even bettery than its previous Nuvi series)
Easiest user interface.
Responsive touch screen. (try browsing map w/ your finger to slide it around)
Long battery life. ( little over 4 hours w/ 90% brightness - par w/ 510 )
Dead Locked windshield mount.

Con:
Too expensive (for what it can do only)
Map Version 8 is really NOT up-to-date!
POI management off PC is crappy.
NO free map upgrade anymore ( since June 2007 )

Verdict?
I am selling my T510. (NOT because it is bad, just little too bulky)
________
Vaporizer television

Last edited:
You make some good points, no clue. Both the TT1 and the nuvi 200 have good and bad points. I guess it just comes down to what's important to you. I think they are both excellent devices.

I went with the ONEXL just because it felt like a better value and I like the TomTom nav screen and all the info there better. I've been using TomTom for awhile so maybe I'm biased.

Thanks for your contributions over on brothersontech!

What exactly do the arrows on the TomTom mean? The Navigate to... POI screen lists the POIs with an arrow-type icon. I have the One XL and I see these arrows when trying to find POIs along the current route.

I assume the straight green arrow indicates the POI is directly ahead on the route, but there are other green and yellow intersection type arrows that I don't really understand.

Has anyone deciphered the meaning of these arrows?

What exactly do the arrows on the TomTom mean? The Navigate to... POI screen lists the POIs with an arrow-type icon. I have the One XL and I see these arrows when trying to find POIs along the current route.

I assume the straight green arrow indicates the POI is directly ahead on the route, but there are other green and yellow intersection type arrows that I don't really understand.

I'm not completely clear on these either. You are right about the green arrow; I'm not sure what the tolerance is though....how close on your route does it have to be to get the green arrow. The yellow arrow I believe means you will have to detour to get to it, but again I'm not sure how close along the route it has to be. What other ones are there? Those are the only 2 I remember.

Yes that is correct, the green arrow is a POI directly on your route. The yellow arrow means a detour. It has been discussed that the distance for a detour is about 3 miles (or 5 km).

Ask a Question