TomTom Via 125 Not Found by WinXP64

TomTom Model(s)
Via 125 (Europe)
Hello there!

I have bought the TomTom Via 125 and installed the software available in TT web page but it seems that my Windows is asking for a driver that is not provided by TomTom.

Everything else is working normally with my device.

The cable to connect to the computer is the one provided by TomTom but i still get the message on the TT program that the TomTom is not connected.

I checked the system drivers and it seems that my XP64 is not recognising this device (He knows that is a TomTom device but request the correct driver to install).

Does anyone can help me out? I have tryed many thing already... :/

Cheers,
Jorge

Welcome to TTF.

You are using the MyTomTom software (tomtom.com/getstarted) and not Home 2, right?

Try a different usb port and reboot the unit by holding the power button for about 15 seconds till you hear the drum sounds.

Also, if yiu are using MyTomTom, in the desktop icon, settings-->Clear Cache. Also, in port settings, try changing from the default of 4000 to perhaps 5000 (wait for the green check to appear).

Hello Dhn, thank you very much for your reply.

I am using the Tom Tom software but I have tried the Home2 as well (I am getting a little desperate).

I know something about software and hardware and have followed your steps but the Tom Tom is still not recognized
by my OS WinXP 64.

Yesterday I went to the Microsoft website and have done all the updates that were missing, but still the same... :/

When I turn on the Tom Tom appears the message "Found new hardware wizard" and my XP64 is requesting me for software (drivers). I already installed and uninstalled the Tom Tom software several times but still... the same happens.

Any idea?

It feels a little weird not being able to connect my GPS to the computer because of a missing driver...

Do you think I should write to Tom Tom directly?

Kind regards,
Jorge (Portugal)

Home 2 will not work with Via models.

Hopefully, someone more astute than I will give you proper assistance in this thread.

That's not good. Your installation of MyTomTom has failed at some point, and your PC does not recognize the USB to ethernet bridge. Although your Via appears to be connected by USB (well, it IS, physically), it's really an ethernet device. MyTomTom should be providing your operating system with information on how to handle your Via when it sees that USB connection occur... but it isn't, or you would not be seeing the New Hardware Wizard appear.

Trust us when we say that the old TomTom Home (aka Home2) software has no useful purpose in any of this.

Will need to think of what steps can be taken here. We really need to be certain that you get a clean install of MyTomTom.

To be clear, this is one possible TomTo location for downloading the application you need to be running: https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/mytomtom/getstarted
I didn't check your location, if you specified one, to see if there was a server specific to your area, but that one should work fine.

Run BOTH the installer for MyTomTom and the application itself in an XP virtual box to see if that helps.

Last ... you DO have admin privileges on that machine, correct?

That's not good. Your installation of MyTomTom has failed at some point, and your PC does not recognize the USB to ethernet bridge. Although your Via appears to be connected by USB (well, it IS, physically), it's really an ethernet device. MyTomTom should be providing your operating system with information on how to handle your Via when it sees that USB connection occur... but it isn't, or you would not be seeing the New Hardware Wizard appear.

Trust us when we say that the old TomTom Home (aka Home2) software has no useful purpose in any of this.

Will need to think of what steps can be taken here. We really need to be certain that you get a clean install of MyTomTom.

To be clear, this is one possible TomTo location for downloading the application you need to be running: https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/mytomtom/getstarted
I didn't check your location, if you specified one, to see if there was a server specific to your area, but that one should work fine.

Run BOTH the installer for MyTomTom and the application itself in an XP virtual box to see if that helps.

Last ... you DO have admin privileges on that machine, correct?

Hello Canderson, thank you for your message!

Starting from your last question, you are correct. I do have admin privileges on the computer. Since I have tried all USB ports available and installed several times the TomTom application (I have download from the link has you pasted) do you think that this may be the result of some incorrect settings in the BIOS? It?s kind of weird... Normally all hardware is recognized instantaneously, if not, the driver is provided by the company. In this case, I have searched already several times in the internet but I cant find a similar problem or the driver to solve this :/

Thanks for your detailed explanation.

I am sorry but I do not know how to run the installer and the application itself in a XP virtual box. Are you referring to the MS-Dos box? If so, I have done that already as well (same result). If not, can you explain me how to do it? Sorry for the inconvenience.

I?m going to Brittany and Normandy on vacations in a couple of weeks (I?m from Lisbon, Portugal). It?s kind of frustrating (you may guess) to have a new "toy" that can?t even be updated at my homes computer :/

Thanks for your time and help,
Jorge

Jorge - My mistake. You twice told us you were running XP 64 bit, and I kept thinking that you were running Windows 7.

With the device connected, it is the job of the installer for MyTomTom to create the necessary USB to ethernet bridge, and that is failing to happen. Normally, if you look in Device Manager, your TomTom will not show up as a USB device - it shows up in the "Network adapter" list!

So please plug in your TomTom and see if you can identify in Control Panel / System / Device Manager what kind of device the XP64 system thinks your TomTom is (if anything). Is it showing up anywhere, in particular, as a "broken" USB device?

If you cannot see it there, then I would contact TomTom technical support quickly so that perhaps you can get this solved before your vacation...
808781222 -- De Segunda ? Sexta : Das 09.30 ?s 17.00 GMT

Hello Canderson!

Every time I connect MyTomTom Via 125 to my computer the system does not recognizes the device completely. On "Device Manager" it appears as being "Other Devices" and "Tom Tom" with a yellow exclamation. On "Tom Tom Properties", the "Device Status" says that "The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28) To reinstall the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Driver."

Thanks for your time and help!

Best regards,
Jorge

That confirms what I was concerned about.

I am curious to know if the following two drivers exist on your XP64 machine. Understand these paths are for regular XP (I suspect XP64 has a slightly different path name, and I can't remember)...

c:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\usb8023x.sys
c:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\rndismpx.sys

Those are both Microsoft drivers that seem to be required.

The path is the same. I can confirm that I have those two files in "C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers"

But my files names are a bit different as follows:
usb8023.sys
File version 5.2.3790.3959 (srv03_sp2_rtm.070216-1710)

RNDISMP.SYS
File version 5.2.3790.3959 (srv03_sp2_rtm.070216-1710)

They don?t have the "x" in the end of the file name like the drivers names you post it.

Any clue? ...or this means that I should grab a bottle of wine and try to forget that this problem exists? :)

Kind regards,
Jorge

It is possible that the 'x' suffix is important if that is the driver that is expected. Those two files are the specific driver pieces that my TomTom is using, and I wonder if it's the same for XP64. We'd need another user to jump in, go to Control Panel and check the driver specifics for their unit(s) to see what is being used -- preferably someone using XP64 if there's anyone out there.

Other than that - I can only suggest that phone number to you.

Ok Canderson, I will call to that number monday morning. Thanks again for all the help and time you send with this.

Kind regards,
Jorge

Just wish we could have sorted it out for you.

Please do let us know if you come to a good resolution, and how it was accomplished.

Ask a Question