TOMTOM v8 New app for 520/720/920

:D Home just offered me the download of new v8 of navcore 8.010. Still debating if I should take the plunge. If one of you guys is braver than I am please don't hesitate to share your experiences.:p
By the way it seems like lane guidance and IQ routing won't be available.
tomtomv8maj.gif

Last edited:
VR and Map 720

Took the plunge, haven't road-tested it yet but I've verified that VR is finally working (TomTom 920), and that's with map version 720 installed.

Last edited:
I downloaded version 8.010 earlier tonight. The VR works, the satellite bar is horizontal again, the direction letters on the compass are gone and in the third page of preferences there is an icon for "Show Lane Images." I'm sure the lane guidance will be added later. Also I noticed that in the help me menu there is a first aide guide and a car and travel information guide. I don't know if they were there before.

I have downloaded it for a 720 that has an SD with (now only) a different map from the one in the unit itself. It had also been a complete application, but after letting 8.01 install, it had problems it had not had before. It kept on saying that a new app was installed, and instructed me to undock it and redock it to complete the process, which it apparently had trouble doing.

It would also not let me Operate the device with Home, and would not let me do a restore. It said that I did not have the SDHC chip that was in it when I did the backup, but I did.

I have backed it up both through Home and Windows explorer, so I can go back if I really need to. I deleted all the other files on the SDHC except the map, and now it works fine - except it keeps on asking me to download a file when opening Operate the device (it has been downloaded). I say no, and it then operates OK (I think some other posters have been running into this last one.

I hope they get around to 8.10 soon - this one has issues. Everything worked just fine with previous app (7.4..).

Took the plunge, haven't road-tested it yet but I've verified that VR is finally working (TomTom 920), and that's with map version 720 installed.

Road test results: I was pleased to find the following fixes --
* Traffic delays are calculated more accurately
* Street and POI lists are coming up fine
* Voice recognition is now working fine
* Driving over the speed limit is now more readable

This is still a problem:
* The readback of traffic information is still pretty braindead, claiming that e.g. today it told me the slowdown on highway two hundred and thirty seven is between highway two hundred and thirty seven and highway two three seven Milpitas.

Previous bugs not yet tested:
* GPS claims certain segments of highway add many hours to the journey, even though there is no faster route.

New bug:
* Though MapShare supports reporting speed limits, after the correct speed limit is entered, the speed limit displayed is n-1. So, 24 mph instead of 25.

The following are known problems that TomTom is working to fix:
* Lane guidance is supported by the firmware, but v8 maps are not yet available for older models
* The compass will always point the direction of North, and no longer is as versatile as the v7 compass

Other notes:
* Lots of new POI icons to learn; some of them make much more sense than the previous ones, others are more obscure.
* Fuel price service is offline at the server end, can't confirm whether that is working as expected.

All things considered, I really like this update.

Road test results: I was pleased to find the following fixes --
The following are known problems that TomTom is working to fix:
* Lane guidance is supported by the firmware, but v8 maps are not yet available for older models
* The compass will always point the direction of North, and no longer is as versatile as the v7 compass

All things considered, I really like this update.
I discovered last night that the "sleep when fully charged" -bug is still present. And I had to add "Compass Direction" to the status bar, as a work-around for the broken compass. Not the best solution, as it displaced the Velocity display.

But yeah, this appears to be a pretty good upgrade.

R?

When I first attached my 720 to the computer this morning it offered me the upgrade. I decided to read the forum for any warnings and when I went back to download it, it says no upgrade available. Any suggestions? :confused:

Okay...this is weird. I have VR working sometimes. I installed version 8, no VR after, did a pin reset and got it back. Connected to home lost VR again, did a pin reset, got it back. AND when I am doing the reset....I am not losing all of the settings. Anyone have any ideas? Does anyone else have a car preferences icon that is grayed out?

Update 8.010 Pulled from TomTom

I just got off the phone with TomTom and a very helpful woman there.

Apparently, the GO720 with update 8.010 has a few issues and has been removed from their site while they work on it.

According to her, there are issues with Satellite aquisition and signal strength as well as problems with HOME and version 8 of the application.

I also found out, and I'm still having my doubts, that the application needs to be installed on the SD card if the map is being used from there also. I found out the hard way as the update wrote everything to the card and not the device. Even though I had it working prior to this with only the Map, Voices and Connection information located there they stated it's unsupported in that configuration. Too bad there isn't any documentation stating this!

Anway..in order to roll back without manually copying things it's a rather simple process that I was unaware of - do the following:

Connect the device and select Yes to connect to the computer.
From in HOME, select the Internal or Memory card - wherever you run the map from.
From the Add Maps, Traffic, Voices, etc section click More until you get to the end where the Items on My Computer icon is.
Select Items on My Computer.
Expand Applications.
Figure out which one is the previous version by selecting the link under each for More Info.
Press the Add button to add it to the location you selected at startup (Internal or Memory Card).
Reboot the device.

Hope this saves a few people some greif.

No. But it didn't sound good by the content of her conversation with me.

I don't think the Satellite issue was a big deal, but the HOME compatibility issue seemed to be the big thing.

I can't imagine this being re-released anytime soon if they need a HOME update.

Lost VR with N8

Well I was one of the "lucky" ones to download N8. 720 with map 715 starts must faster. BUT I lost VR. It doesn't even show up as an option when I try to access go to an address. The only hint of VR is in the Quick Menu (arrow) icon. It states there is an option to use VR there but when I select that it just takes me back home on the map.

I never did back up this version in case there was a problem. So I attempted a restore. Home stated the the restore was complete but nothing changed. Still has N8. I had previously had 7.481 with no problems. Any ideas how to get this back? Thanks!

I also appear to have lost the text to speech ability. Unit will clearly say turn right or left but no street names. When the unit should be stating names all I hear is a faint garbled noise from the unit.

Steve

Last edited:
Well I was one of the "lucky" ones to download N8. 720 with map 715 starts must faster. BUT I lost VR. It doesn't even show up as an option when I try to access go to an address. The only hint of VR is in the Quick Menu (arrow) icon. It states there is an option to use VR there but when I select that it just takes me back home on the map.

I never did back up this version in case there was a problem. So I attempted a restore. Home stated the the restore was complete but nothing changed. Still has N8. I had previously had 7.481 with no problems. Any ideas how to get this back? Thanks!

I also appear to have lost the text to speech ability. Unit will clearly say turn right or left but no street names. When the unit should be stating names all I hear is a faint garbled noise from the unit.

Steve

First make a full backup of your unit using Explorer, not TTHome. Make sure Windows is set not to hide files and set to show extensions for known file types.

Now then, using Home, remove items from my Go, select the application. When that is done, again using Home, update my go. It'll see the application is missing, and dl the firmware 7.481 for you and install it. Nav8 has been removed from being made available for non x30 units.

Success 7.481 is back

I'm using a Mac. I never did back-up N8 so I figured the back-up on the computer still should be everything previously saved. I treated the 720 as a volume and trashed everything. Just dragged everything from theback-up to the 720 and was successful. The only file that suffered was the computer Dave voice. Added that voice again and all is back to its original state. :D

Can someone who was able to get the download via home please post the navcore_8.toc file and the name of the directory that the files are in under the downloads directory? I have the cab, but want the install do be done via home to make sure all files are updated.

Thanks.

Okay...this is weird. I have VR working sometimes. I installed version 8, no VR after, did a pin reset and got it back. Connected to home lost VR again, did a pin reset, got it back. AND when I am doing the reset....I am not losing all of the settings. Anyone have any ideas? Does anyone else have a car preferences icon that is grayed out?

Car preferences is for future devices.

To enable VR you need certain files to be in your device.

Question: does the navcore update from TT home update the screen and button images to the X30 style with beige and orange?

Last edited:
First make a full backup of your unit using Explorer, not TTHome. Make sure Windows is set not to hide files and set to show extensions for known file types.

Now then, using Home, remove items from my Go, select the application. When that is done, again using Home, update my go. It'll see the application is missing, and dl the firmware 7.481 for you and install it. Nav8 has been removed from being made available for non x30 units.

I did this with a 720, and followred instructions on Home (remove unit, and then re-connect) but now the unit appears to be dead. I could not turn it back on after it was shut down for some time, and a pin reset did not clear it up.

I cannot understand how software would take the entire unit down - any suggestions ?

Ask a Question