TomTom Traffic

GAW, could you described the steps you take to upload traffic through home?
As Chris pointed out, when trying to update with Home, it says traffic not available in your country. I would love to get traffic info through home, if thats how your getting it.

Try using your userid and password you created for tomtom.com. The traffic worked on my 910 for a month using the factory settings. After it expired, I entered my tomtom.com id and password.
Thanks, Jax
I think my issue lies with Verizon though. They changed something (or so I'm reading) recently that doesn't allow my TT to activate the data service on the phone.

I entered 216470####@vzw3g.com with a password of vzw (I think I typed that correct, but it could be wrong here) and the phone tries to connect to the data service, but it failed. I'm guessing that Verizon is doing something to dis-allow this. If anyone has any more suggestions, I'm open for them...

Thom

Well I finally got Traffic on my 910 to activate for free. I first enabled my wireless connection with my Moto Razr V3 and then went to the preference page. On page 6, I selected edit PLUS account. It then asked me what country I was in and what phone service provider I had. I selected Cingular Media something. It verified and then it ask me to log in.

This is where I put in my username & password that is also used for tt's official site. I notice on the bottom left it says 'logged in as' and it states your user name.

From here, when Im connect to tt home and connected to 'My GO 910', I can now select the traffic option and enable it from there.
I played around with it plotting a route and trying to update traffic info. It says there are no delays found on my route, but it does show the traffic icons on the map. When I select 'find alternative' then the traffic option, it doesn't give any change. So I wonder if it actually updates traffic info using tt home or I really need to update the info with my phone.

Thom,
The username and pw your entering, is that in your tt?

Yes. In reading that is the user_name and password that the phone uses to log into the verizon network (but I cannot verify that).

Opps sorry Thom. Please go through your steps to verify where your problem lies. From your posts, it looks like its not your tt settings, but your phone giving you the problem. Correct me if Im wrong. Can you use your phone to download something from the internet like a game? or access the internet?

Opps sorry Thom. Please go through your steps to verify where your problem lies. From your posts, it looks like its not your tt settings, but your phone giving you the problem. Correct me if Im wrong. Can you use your phone to download something from the internet like a game? or access the internet?

Ony a few phones work with TT Plus service. That means most phone - even those that conect to the internet like mine - do not work. They have a list of compatible phones by service provider in their features tabs for the different phones. It looks like currently nothing works on Verizon with the X10 phones (only 300 & 700).

GAW, what are your steps to activate Plus (traffic) through TT Home without using a phone's wireless connection?

Like previous posts, while connected through Home - log on with your TT user name and password - either on the TTHome page logon - or on the change preferences / edit TT Plus Account icon - and then go to traffic. It should offer an icon to activate. If you are not logged on, it will say either not available or subscription expired., but I have set up both 910's and 510's that way a number of times after loggin on.

Yes, I can access the internet with the phone, but it seems only with the phone. It's kind of a bummer, as I'd like to do more. I think it's my phone service, not anything else. (really I was just giving you a hard time..)

Well I finally got Traffic on my 910 to activate for free. I first enabled my wireless connection with my Moto Razr V3 and then went to the preference page. On page 6, I selected edit PLUS account. It then asked me what country I was in and what phone service provider I had. I selected Cingular Media something. It verified and then it ask me to log in.

This is where I put in my username & password that is also used for tt's official site. I notice on the bottom left it says 'logged in as' and it states your user name.

From here, when Im connect to tt home and connected to 'My GO 910', I can now select the traffic option and enable it from there.
I played around with it plotting a route and trying to update traffic info. It says there are no delays found on my route, but it does show the traffic icons on the map. When I select 'find alternative' then the traffic option, it doesn't give any change. So I wonder if it actually updates traffic info using tt home or I really need to update the info with my phone.

I just did too - on t-mobile with an unlocked Razr. problem was I had to activate their total internet package to do so. TomTom help says the web data service had to be "un-teathered" - meaning it has to be able to connect with other servers (ike TomTom) directly and not through only the ESP portal, which will not work. They were correct - I could not connect with the basic t-mobile Web package

It is an expensive service, but I replaced my blackberry service with it also and am getting email through it now - so right now it is a push on monthly costs.

However, if the traffic receiver ever comes out - I may drop the higher level T-mobile service, as I can live without the rest of the TT Plus Services on the TT while on the go

PS - traffic updates do work - both on TT home and on the road now - have changed my routes many time because of it..

I'm glad to hear your traffic updates work.

I've only tried traffic once with my phone and the rest with home. I don't seem to see a difference in route change. I did see 2 accidents on my way to work.

Sure its free...but your data usage on your phone goes up and could be costly if you don't have the right usage plan...

Any member use TomTom Traffic?
It's free for the US. I haven't played with it yet.
Anybody have an idea(guess) how a phone company charges?
Sure its free...but your data usage on your phone goes up and could be costly if you don't have the right usage plan...

Hi, Newbie here. My TT910 connected to my Sprint A920 and Cingular 8525 with virtually no problem. Both providers and phones intergrated with the Traffic and Weather updates without problem. However my question of this traffic update is:
I see the icons along the route on the Fwy where the accidents or slowdown are, but when I press "Minimize Delay", it still route me thru the same spot. So what is the point of having the traffic updates when the TT cannot re-route me to avoid traffic? Am I suppose to change any settings that I'm not aware of? Please shed some light please.

Hmmm this is weird. I've only used Traffic a few times. It seems to take me in good route until I hit small streets. When you have your traffic update, try going to menu page 2 of 3 and select browse map. From there check out the route where there are traffic alets and click on the icon. It will give you a description of what type of traffic it might be. Sometimes it can just be slow traffic.

Hi, Newbie here. My TT910 connected to my Sprint A920 and Cingular 8525 with virtually no problem. Both providers and phones intergrated with the Traffic and Weather updates without problem. However my question of this traffic update is:
I see the icons along the route on the Fwy where the accidents or slowdown are, but when I press "Minimize Delay", it still route me thru the same spot. So what is the point of having the traffic updates when the TT cannot re-route me to avoid traffic? Am I suppose to change any settings that I'm not aware of? Please shed some light please.
Hello, IMPORTANT WORD OF ADVICE. DO NOT RESET YOUR TOMTOM. If you do, traffic will not work anymore on Sprint. This is what happened to me. Sprint is not supposed to be compatable, but for some reason the in store settings allow it to happen. But sprint is not compatible under factory settings for some reason. Tomtom tech support says that "I got lucky" but now that I've reset my tomtom to factory settings, they have no solution. They suggested I go to these forums to try to get a fix. So...anyone know how to fix this?

You can set an option to automatically reroute around traffic. What you have to remember, and your TT unit will tell you, is that sometimes the fastest route, traffic delays included, is still the original route.

Ask a Question