TomTom Traffic - Worth it in Canada? Also - FM or Data?

TomTom Model(s)
Go 720
Hi,

I am the proud new owner of a TomTom 720 and I just got the wireless data connection working.

I see that I will have to subscribe to use the Traffic feature of the unit (which I don't have a problem with) however I just want to make sure it is not going to waste my money.

Does anyone else in Canada use it and how well does it work?

I do a daily commute of about 1.5 hours into and from downtown Toronto. I would love if my TomTom can help me out with that commute by using the Traffic feature to keep me moving rather than sitting on the QEW parking lot.

The followup to the question would be, should I stick with the data connection through my phone OR is it worth it to get the FM antenna that plugs into the TomTom unit?

Thanks

D.

Hi,

I am the proud new owner of a TomTom 720 and I just got the wireless data connection working.

I see that I will have to subscribe to use the Traffic feature of the unit (which I don't have a problem with) however I just want to make sure it is not going to waste my money.

Does anyone else in Canada use it and how well does it work?

I do a daily commute of about 1.5 hours into and from downtown Toronto. I would love if my TomTom can help me out with that commute by using the Traffic feature to keep me moving rather than sitting on the QEW parking lot.

The followup to the question would be, should I stick with the data connection through my phone OR is it worth it to get the FM antenna that plugs into the TomTom unit?

Thanks

D.
Hi,

your first month of Traffic is free. However, we don't get traffic up here in Canada. We can use the Traffic function but we only get road conditions (and possibly you'll get a traffic/road condition update for your nearest US city).

The actual traffic (in terms of construction, jams, accidents etc) is US only. We get road conditions.

That sucks.....

totally useless to me in that case. I was so hoping that it would help with the Jams, Accidents etc.

On the TomTom website they do list Toronto as being one of the citys where it works.

Is there a difference in the Traffic service between using the "Data connection" and the "FM Antenna"

D.

That sucks.....

totally useless to me in that case. I was so hoping that it would help with the Jams, Accidents etc.

On the TomTom website they do list Toronto as being one of the citys where it works.

Is there a difference in the Traffic service between using the "Data connection" and the "FM Antenna"

D.
really? Did they start offering Traffic in Canada? Maybe I should give it a shot

Yes but I don't have first hand experience with the RDS-TMS (i.e. FM Antenna). The GPRS one is through TomTom and thus is verified. The RDS-TMS is simply via your local radio station.

I have both, here in the states. On my usual trip to NY City from Baltimore, 225 mi, about 4.5 hours. In an around the cities the antenna works good, sometimes searching for a signal. If it does not find the signal, then I simply pull the cord and a run it via my cell. The Cell information, is faster, the updats quicker, and the information better, than over the air with the antenna. However, there are some issues when using the phone as a phone at the same time.

I might be mistaken..... even though they say on the TomTom coverage page that Canada (Toronto) is working, I can't seem to sign up for a subscription.

I was informed in another thread that here in Canada there is NO data for traffic using the cell phone (GPRS) however the FM antenna will provide limited coverage.

Sometimes I really hate having an early adopter mentality.... this is going to kill me knowing that the unit can do something but not being able to use it.

;)

D.

I might be mistaken..... even though they say on the TomTom coverage page that Canada (Toronto) is working, I can't seem to sign up for a subscription.

I was informed in another thread that here in Canada there is NO data for traffic using the cell phone (GPRS) however the FM antenna will provide limited coverage.

Sometimes I really hate having an early adopter mentality.... this is going to kill me knowing that the unit can do something but not being able to use it.

;)

D.
well apparently if you use your TT via HOME, you can set your home and office destinations and ask it to check for traffic along the route. Try that and see if anything shows up.

RDS-TMS Burlington, Ontario

Hi, I have had my RDS-TMS for a couple years. I have a 730 and a 930 and neither one is a T series.
I love my traffice. Being around Toronto it is priceless to us along with going from here to Orillia. Mind you we loose it at Barrie.
It also gets touchy when we are heading to Niagara Falls.
I do have to pay a subscription each year but it is sooooo worth it when she comes on and says "you have a 5 or 10 or 20 etc minute delay---there is another route for 10 mins less--would you care to take it? put it yes and it will bring you around it.
Love it and would never be without it. Hope this info helps. Sorry no idea for anywhere else besides my areas.

Further to my other info

Hi besides what I said above mine does traffic, accidents, road work, etc. There are little icons and also shows you how far away the traffic tie up is. I am no expert but I am not sure if the antenna cord I have is just radio I believe it comes as my maps comes. Example if I am heading up to the trailer from Burlington to Orillia It will tell me that in 50 kms (or something like that) that I have a traffic problem.
Again, hope this helps.

Ask a Question