TomTom Tech Support Humor

TomTom Model(s)
Go 510
Before I discovered the hack for getting the cell phone audio to play through the car speakers, I emailed TT tech support.
My message to them:
"Customer (Stan Shire) 08/15/2007 11:09 PM
I have the Ipod kit and microphone and speaker cables connected.
The Ipod audio and TT directions play thru the car speakers.
When I receive a call, the audio only plays thru the TT speaker; not thru the car speakers.
All prefs appear to be correct.
When the call is ended, the Ipod audio and directions play correctly thru the car speakers."

The response from TT
"This feature is not available because it would result in a lot of feedback through your microphone. All the callers would hear would be a high pitched squeal."

My response to their response

Thanks for the response.
It was the most outrageous tech support response I've gotten in years.
"This feature is not available because it would result in a lot of feedback through your microphone. All the callers would hear would be a high pitched squeal."
1. Of course it's available. I found the answer on the forum this morning. (i.e. create a blank text file in the root of the card and name it "enable_lineout_hands_free")
This worked perfectly. My microphone is on my visor and there is NO feedback.
2. Do not treat customers like idiots. If I were that stupid, I would have gotten a Garmin.
3. Give customers the option (maybe a menu item checkbox). You could even include a disclaimer "Be careful of your microphone placement as feedback MAY result. If it does...move the microphone until it stops."
4. Imagine Nikon or Canon putting a light sensor on the camera to prevent shooting in bright sunlight because you MIGHT get lens flare. "Be careful of your camera placement. If you point the lens toward the sun, lens flare MAY result. If it does, move the camera until it goes away."

Ask a Question