TomTom team up with Google Map!

When you guys say it "sends the data to your TomTom", just what does it send? Do you get a POI? What category is it in? Maybe a Favorite?

I'm just seeing "Send to Phone" but I'm at work with no Home loaded.

When you guys say it "sends the data to your TomTom", just what does it send? Do you get a POI? What category is it in? Maybe a Favorite?

I'm just seeing "Send to Phone" but I'm at work with no Home loaded.

When I sent to my GO 720 the location showed up as a Favorite. I only tried with a buisness name but it worked fine the first time!

Great find! I've been looking for a way to convert / import customized googles map directions into TomTom and this fits the bill very well. It would be nice if Google would add this feature on the send to GPS function rather than having to go to a differecnt website to convert, save in TomTom/itn.
Also, this capability can enhance TomTom by allowing individual users to easily create scenic routes, i.e. route 66 tours, and sharing them with others users on this board in a manner similar to mapshare.

Allowing modification of routes is an important development in Google maps and will certainly enhance the TomTom experience. I wish, however, modifications of maps, i.e. addition of new retail stores, could also be incorporated in google, and likewise imported into the TomTom maps.

One thing that caught my eye...Google maps has this feature...and map is furnished by NavTeq. Google Earth does not have this feature...and map is furnished by TeleAtlas. TomTom is, if approved by EU, buying TeleAtlas. Will this feature then disappear if the purchase is approved? I can't see TomTom supporting a feature from a competitor, NavTeq. Personally, I prefer Google Earth as it offers more features such as POI's, terrain, historical facts, etc. If Google Earth had the modify route feature and could easily be converted into a TomTom itn, and include local historical data and POI's, it would be a killer app IMO.

On my macbook and Firefox I get the same msg in my browser when trying to add to gps.

You have clicked an 'Add to TomTom' button. Unfortunately, TomTom HOME cannot add the item to your TomTom device because there is something wrong with the button.

Please report this error to the webmaster of the website.
Click here to go back to the original page.

On Safari, I get an error in TomTom Home

unknown command "geo:lat=42.4883739378"

Last edited:
Can't get it to work at all with either Firefox or IE on Windows Vista. After I pick version 2 when it asks me what version I have it asks for permission to start a windows application and after I give the permission nothing happens. If I click on the link that it says to click on if the application doesn't start in 5 seconds nothing happens. No error message, just nothing at all.

Wait, while I was typing this message I found the solution, I had to load task manager and kill all running instances of TomTom Home (I had already closed the program and the task bar icon, but an instance was still running.) Once there was nothing TomTom related running on the computer it worked fine.

-Harry

Google Maps

This is a great new feature. I hope they soon allow you to use all addresses verses just businesses. Another great feature would be to allow you to reroute using Google Maps and then use that map to navigate.

Ok, I still don't see this, even with my 510 connected and TomTom Home open.

Could someone do a quick walkthru of what you type and click to get "Send to TomTom" or something similar to show up?

EDIT: Ok, finally figured it out. :)

Search for anything. If you get a green arrow, you're out of luck. If you get a red lettered circle/marker, you're good. Click the red circle/marker. Click "Send" up in the right corner between "Print" and "Link to this page". There should be three choices in the box that pops up: Email, Car, GPS (with a green arrow, you just get Email). Click GPS, and click Send. If you have Home installed (I don't have it installed here at work), it will send the marker to it and (I suppose) copy it to the TomTom as a Favorite when you connect the TomTom.

It doesn't have to be a business: I tried "City Park, Fort Worth, TX" and it came up with parks, fire stations, etc, all with good red dots.

Last edited:
I am looking to buy my first GPS. When I first saw the info on Google maps I was hoping to be able to do a trip on Google and send it to the GPS.
But, it appears that all you can do is send an address.
So what the point it seems that it would be less work to just input the address to the GPS?

I am looking to buy my first GPS. When I first saw the info on Google maps I was hoping to be able to do a trip on Google and send it to the GPS.
But, it appears that all you can do is send an address.
So what the point it seems that it would be less work to just input the address to the GPS?

Hello,

Is this what you wanted to do?
http://houghi.org/tomtom/

All that google offers (at the time being at least) is the ability to move a business location to your TomTom. Just a location, not an itinerary.

There are a few third party applications out on the Web that do let you move an entire itinerary (except perhaps if you have a One 3rd Edition). This was pretty well discussed in a long thread at https://www.tomtomforums.com/showthread.php?t=4801

Sorry, new here, but how does it send to the GPS? I'm looking at a 920 and besides having a dock/cradle it appears the 920 can get texts through your phone. Will this work or will it eventually?

And is there anyway to send to another persons Tom tom?

How about this write-up I made for using T.Y.R.E./Google Maps:

Google Maps To Create Waypoints for TomTom

Oh, and to answer your question about can you port this or copy this to other TomToms, the answer is YES. The program creates a *.itn file and puts it in the /itn/ folder on the TomTom. Simply copy the resulting *.itn file into the /itn/ folder of the other person's TomTom and it will show up as a selection to load.

Last edited:
Big deal, you can send a business address to the TT, can't say that helps with routing and picking alternates then.....

google businesses

Big deal, you can send a business address to the TT, can't say that helps with routing and picking alternates then.....

I think you can consider just about anything as a business, even an address. It is an easier way to add the POI than finding it on the TT map. It is also easier to type the information into the TT while it is hooked up to the PC than to use the virtual TT keyboard.
I also think it would be nice to create an itinerary in Google, and I have not used TRYE yet.
j

I think you can consider just about anything as a business, even an address. It is an easier way to add the POI than finding it on the TT map. j
Nope, it didn't work that way for me when I tried it, though they might have improved it by now. I looked up a local Best Buy and successfully transferred it. Then I tried transferring just the exact same address and it wouldn't do it.

Agreed - not too very useful, but maybe a hint of better things to come.

TomTom, let us know when we can actually use this feature, meaning create a map/route via google maps and zap it to the TT device. Until then this is smoke and mirrors and somewhat deceptive. This currently vaporware feature was a major reason I went for a 720 over a Mag 4040.:mad:

Ask a Question