TomTom Start XC stuck in loop, but works on home

Hey guys,

Ive spent numerous hours browsing your forums but alas still cant find the answer to my problem.

ill try give as much detail as possible!

I have a tomtom start 1gb model code starting XC, At first it would just load to the tomtom logo screen and then do nothing, just stay there until the battery went flat. I have tried all combinations of updates / formats / resets. Full low level formats followed by fat formats followed by clean install of tomtom home and updating the software by tomtom home. This updates it to 8.544 and on completion still stays stuck at the tomtom screen. when i connect it to home it finds it and no more updates are available. I have also used the "clear flash" tool a few times. I can not "operate my tomtom" from within tomtom home.

I then read that the latest software was 9.057.xabcd for this model. I downloaded that from the tomtom site, formatted the tomtom again (low level and fat), then extracted the 9.057 to the tomtom via explorer. Ejected and the tomtom started up and asked for language, i can get through the set up until i enter the time, and it freezes on the time for a few mins, then restarts and im back to select language.

When i connect to tomtom home with the new 9.057, i can "opperate my tomtom" and go through the setup on my computer, which completes fine, i can then operate the unit via the pc perfectly fine, plan routes, add favourites. But then once i eject it, its back to freezing at tomtom logo.

Sorry for the essay but i know you guys like info!

Thanks for all the help uoto now from the numerous other threads ive read and sorry if im posting in the wrong place!

Dan

As far as I can tell, you are correct. The most current appears to be http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/navcore/9.057.xabcd.CAB-navcore-START.cab
Your original version would have come from http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/navcore/8.544.xabcd.CAB.CAB-navcore-START.cab
There was an interim version that probably won't be of value, but for reference: http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/navcore/9.053.xabcd.CAB-navcore-START.cab

You talk about low level formatting with FAT, by which I assume you mean FAT32? If so, that's also the right approach.

It sounds like you've made some progress with 9.057 at least. It seems to match the emulator version for Home since you now can "Operate my TomTom". That also indicates that you may already have updated to 9.053 or 9.057 at some prior time.

Back 'in the day', we would have you add/delete/rename or otherwise fiddle a favorite while in the Home emulator, and that would clear things up. Sometimes, we found it necessary to have the user delete the entire mapsettings.cfg file from the map folder. At other times, if the user had a full backup of the unit when it was working correctly, we would have them copy the last good version of the folder that contains all of the map data back to the device.

So, guess we take them a/b/c, though it sounds like you have tried 'a' already.

a) In emulator, add and delete 1 favorite.
b) While connected to your PC, use the O.S. to delete the mapsettings.cfg file
c) Tell us what sort of full backup you have of your unit and how old and we'll talk about copying a map folder

There is a reset hole on the back (when you remove the back cover). It is located to the right of the usb port. Press it with the straightened end of a paperclip and see if that helps.

Hey guys and thanks for the info!

Hi dhn, ive tried the reset button, no matter how long its held for it just shuts down the unit.

a) Ive added and then deleted a favourite in the emulator, then disconnected the device through home, and no change to being stuck at tomtom screen.

b) Ive deleted the mapsetting.cfg file (which i think is only created after ive used the emulator) then ejected via explorer, still no change.

c) I got the unit from a friend in this condition, so i have no backups from when it worked. the only backup i have is basically the fresh install of 9.057 with no maps. actually i also have a copy of what tomtom home installs from fresh, which is 8.544 and the uk / ireland maps.

Didnt mention at first and not sure it if makes a difference but the bootloader does match the 9.057 version i have.

No, it doesn't install any maps when you use Home to refresh the unit from formatted condition. All you get is the code. In essence, you now have no maps. In fact, I'm amazed that the emulator actually works since there can't be any maps left anywhere on the unit.

Please confirm. You received this unit, formatted it, and do not have access to the original map folder that came with the unit? If so, you're stalled for good reason. No map. You need to get back with your friend to see if he has a copy of the map anywhere at all on his PC. Could be a backup, could be an original update to bring him current, or a map subscription.

Hey, Yes think i gave you some slightly wrong info. Yea youre right with the no maps, what i did was install from blank via tomtom home which gave me 8.544, then checked for updates again which then installed maps/ voices and some other bits. But still after this it wasnt working. Thats when i made a backup of the 8.544 including maps.

then i manually installed 9.057 and copied across the map folder from the backup of the 8.544 (maybe this is why maps work in emulator)

Yea my friend is pretty hopeless, ill ask but im pretty sure he wont have a back up. more for the fact the unit stopped working after he only had it 2 months but had lost the receipt and couldn't be bothered with warranty (hes a bit hopeless)

Maybe its an issue with how im copying across / installing the maps? Would that explain it stopping at setting the time as the next screen is choosing a home location i think (which is obviously map related)

Dan

Thanks again!

This may mean nothing at all........

I have Start model here (actually called 'Ease' in North America). But it is a 2 gb TTS model. I had not updated it in over two years as I've moved on to other devices. Out of curiosity, I connected it to Home an hour or so ago and an application update to 9.510 was offered. I installed it with no issues. And the emulator works.

Maybe its an issue with how im copying across / installing the maps? Would that explain it stopping at setting the time as the next screen is choosing a home location i think (which is obviously map related)
I'm just a tad confused. Is HOME offering you the map? And yes, it can hang if there are map issues. Please provide more detail about the maps -- where you are getting them, and how you are attempting to install them. Hope it's not from another TomTom.

This may mean nothing at all........

I have Start model here (actually called 'Ease' in North America). But it is a 2 gb TTS model. I had not updated it in over two years as I've moved on to other devices. Out of curiosity, I connected it to Home an hour or so ago and an application update to 9.510 was offered. I installed it with no issues. And the emulator works.
Your "Start" isn't the same as his "Start". He's got one of the very early ones for which there is no North American equivalent. You're thinking of the Start2/Ease. Different firmware. Note that his installer file shows XA, XB, XC and XD. That's the old Start.

Your newer Ease series is Europe's Start2 (XM, XN), and the build for those was http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/navcore/9.057.xmn.CAB-navcore-START.cab We don't want him using that!

Well if i format the start and start with a blank canvas so to speak. I connect it to computer, open up tomtom home. Home tells me it has to update the tomtom, and offers the navcore software only, so i accept that and it updates to 8.544. It then tells me it needs to restart the device, but it hangs on restart at the tomtom screen. So i manually reset it and let it connect to tomtom home again.

When it connects to home again it says updates are available, it offers me the uk/ireland maps, all the voices and som other updates. So i accept and install these from tomtom home. So i then have 8.544 software with maps / voices that tomtom has given me for the start. I eject and connect again but no more updates available.

Then i make a manual explorer back up of this (maps software and everything tomtom has given me) Then i wipe it clean again, low level format followed by fat format to give it a file system. Then i extract 9.057 onto it, leaving it with just the software which works up until the time set screen. Ive then also tried then copying the map (uk / ireland) foolder from my back up i made to the device. Thats when i can use my device through tomtom home but still freezes on start up.

So the maps ive got are what tomtom home downloaded after it installed the 8.544 software.

Thanks gain for all the help guys, appreciate it a lot!

Hopefully thats a bit clearer as to where i am now.

Do i need to do something other than copying the map folder across to install the map properly?

The maps were downloaded for the 8.544 software, does that make a difference than im putting it on a device with 9.057 software?

The firmware install should create everything apart from the map data. However, there has always been some sort of 'inventory' process that goes on where there is also a folder that contains no real map data, but is called 'maps', and contains a *.tlv file for each map installed on the device (just one, in your case). Be sure you copy that folder over to the device's root directory as well.

Where do i find this folder / file? Youre right in pulling this up as there is currently no such folder on the device.

Also ive just realised that i only get the drum rolls sometimes when i turn the device on, not all the time. Not sure if that points to anything?

Ill do a little research and see what i can find about maps folder.

Thanks again

After you were all done installing firmware and maps, I believe there should have been a folder called 'maps' created in the root of the unit. As noted, it should contain a single *.tlv file. Search everything you've done so far for *.tlv and see what pops up.

Last edited:
Here's something else I'd like for you to inspect.

In the folder My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Download\complete\map there should be one or more folders (probably just one) for the UK&ROI map. Inside that folder, there should be a file named UK&ROI.toc (or similar, it's the *.toc file I'm interested in at present).

Scroll way down to the bottom of that file with a text editor and see if the serial number under <InstallRestrictions deviceId=..........> matches the serial number you find on the unit.

If that's a match, could you copy and paste the "<Target>" line for me? Need to triple check that this map belongs to this device type.

Right, ive found the "maps" folder and tlv file which was in my back up from when i put the 8.544 software and maps on it. so ive got that now.

Reagrding the TOC file, where do i find the serial number of my unit? Ive found the serial number on the file and its:

<InstallRestrictions deviceId="AKWZWAAE7J"/>

and is this the target line?

<Target>xj_2048_tts_us,go530_2048,go530_1024,xl_2048_plus_us,xa_1024,xi_2048_tts_us,Anqing_nonconnected_2048,go540_1024_t_weu,xh_2048_tts,xxl2009_plus_2048_black,go7000,go750_4096_weu,gg_1024,go730_1024,xxl2009_2048_tts_grey,xn_2048_plus,go950_4096_weu,Xiamen_nonconnected_TTS_4096,go750_2048_t_weu,go740_2048_t_weu,xd_2048,go730_2048,xl2009_plus_2048_tts,gp_2048_tts,go520,go930_4096,go750_1024_weu,one2009_plus_us_2048,go720,go630_2048,xl2009_live_eu_2048,go950_4096_t_weu,xc_1024,xl2009_live_us_2048_tts,one2009_plus_2048,go750_2048_weu,xxl2009_plus_2048_tts_black,Chelsea5_nonconnected_4096,go750_1024_t_weu,xb_2048,go9000,Bergamo_nonconnected_TTS_4096,Lexington_liveEU_2048,xl2009_live_us_2048,xf_2048_tts,gi_2048,go920,Chelsea4_nonconnected_2048,one2009_plus_2048_pearl,gh_1024_tts,Anqing_nonconnected_TTS_4096,go730_4096,xl2009_live_eu_2048_tts,go750_blue_me_v1,xxl2010_plus_4096_tts_black,xl2009_plus_2048,Rider5_nonconnected_4096,rider3,go740_2048_t_us,xk_2048_plus_us,go750_4096_t_weu,Chelsea5_nonconnected_2048,gl_2048_tts,one2009_plus_2048_pearl_tts,one2009_plus_2048_tts,gk_2048_tts,xm_2048_plus,Chelsea4_nonconnected_4096,go940_4096_t_weu,gj_2048_tts</Target>

Thsi is the TOC file that tomtom downloads with the map for 8.544

The device id in the TOC file is a match to the one i can get from the system info in tomtom home of the device

Yup. The "xc_1024" works for me.

Go ahead and put the 'maps' folder (with its *.tlv inside) in the root of your unit and try another reboot. It doesn't take 'inventory' apart from a boot cycle, I think.

Still a nope unfortunately :-(

So what i have upto now... 9.057 extracted to the device, maps from downloads extracted to device, activation.zip extracted to device, "maps" folder with flv file in on root of device.

Locks up at time set screen still. But ive also noticed when i turn it on at the stage were at now, where it asks for language, if i dont enter anything to continue with the set up and press power button as if to turn off, it displays the "theif exclamation mark" image and locks up on that for a bit on that until restarting itself. So its not just locking when its looking for something relating to maps?

Thanks for all your help upto present, i fear were running out of ideas!

I do remember reading somewhere on here about someone with a similar issue who had tried everything like we have, in the end he found a friend with the same tomtom, took a back up of his navcore, put it on his device and it worked, even though it was the same version that he had downloaded and tried many times from tomtom. Just thought id throw that in there...

p.s you're from Colorado, my favourite state in America!

Wish I could suggest any alternative to what you'd done so far. The only thing you haven't tried, and frankly, it makes little sense to do so, is attempt an install of 9.053 (link above).

Ill give 9.053 a try and see if it makes any difference! Will i still be able to use the same map folder and maps/tlf vilf in my current back up?

Ill let know know what i find and if i have any success!

Thanks all the same for your help today, youve been great!

Dan

Ask a Question