TomTom "Start 60" 4 Free Annual Updates

TomTom Model(s)
Start 60
I received a gift of a brand new TomTom Start 60 for Christmas 2012 purchased by my husband in the October. I believed then and still do, that I would receive 4 free updates per year for the life of this new piece of kit. Unfortunately, either TomTom were using this as an advertising gimmick, or they have got their wires crossed, whatever the reason, they have recently sent me 2 emails, the most recent one today, informing me that my supposed "free" updates will end this month (April) after which I will have to pay for future updates. I have responded to both emails, have not received any reply to the first one and responded again to day to their current reminder. I have asked for the courtesy of a reply and an explanation for reneging on an arrangement that I believed would be ongoing, on present form, I will be ignored once again. Earlier this year I read on a TomTom forum (possibly this one) that others were having similar problems and being expected to pay for updates that they believed were part of their contract of purchase.

Does anyone out there have an answer please?

The only promotions I've seen have been 1 year, so you're probably right.

I'd give TomTom a call during the weekdays at

0845 161 0044 or

0845 161 0009

and ask them to sort it for you.

Thank you Canderson for your prompt reply and for the phone number. I will certainly contact them on Monday and seek an explanation. Even if all they intended to offer was 12 months free updates, (4 in total) that is not what they are giving me right now. Have they completely lost the plot or do they have a problem with their computers' abilites to add up?
Many thanks again

There is a Lifetime offer with Start 60 http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/...uctId_891869_langId_-1_categoryId_247401#tab0http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/tom...ime-maps-home-charger-139-98-halfords-1408052 but all of TomTom's Lifetime offers have the requirement of prompt registration to a strict deadline to qualify. Read those conditions included with your packaging or invoice. They are also here: http://www.tomtompromotion.com/Maps/gb/Terms.aspx. If you missed registration you would fall back to the standard 90 day Latest Map Guarantee and maybe that corresponds to the April date in the emails you received.

Last edited:
Thank you Tgold for that information. I will take this up with TomTom on Monday as I registered it with them on receipt.
Many thanks

Update on Start 60 Free Map Updates

Thanks for the two helpful responses to my earlier post. I have, as suggested, contacted TomTom by phone - 0845 161 0009 - and managed eventually to speak to a very helpful gentleman. He checked my account and confirmed that I had registered correctly for both the satnav and the lifetime free maps. He stated that TomTom made an error and that I am not alone in this, others have been similarly affected and all those accounts are being corrected.

Just out of interest, I was advised that the actual expiry date for this "free lifetime maps" offer will be 2023 but this can be extended further by phoning TomTom and asking for this. It is possible that the satnav will be obsolete by then, or if not, unable to accommodate any more maps anyway.

Samsnan

Good deal. I assume they were able to adjust your account while you waited on the phone. The little known 10 year expiry is real, but as they say, either the device or the mapping method is likely to have gone defunct by then. The oldest unit I possess now is ca. 2007, but those with older units yet are still have maps available, though not for free, since there wasn't a 'lifetime' option back then.

Hi Canderson
I am assuming that my account was corrected while I was on the phone, however, I recd a follow up email from the person I spoke to in customer support and I responded confirming that I understood TomTom had made a mistake and that my account would be corrected so that future free maps would be available to me. I have kept a copy in case of any further problems. I was quite surprised that others had the same problem as I had and do hope it was not an "oversight" Will keep an eye on what happens from now on though.
Samsnan

Given the lateness of the 905 map release, it's uncertain if TomTom will return to their prior schedule, but the next one should be due around end of the 3rd week of May. Let us know if things go properly once 910 is released.

TomTom Start60 Free Annual Updates

Given the lateness of the 905 map release, it's uncertain if TomTom will return to their prior schedule, but the next one should be due around end of the 3rd week of May. Let us know if things go properly once 910 is released.

I will do that. Thank you for your help

Samsnan

Lifetime offer is not 9 or 10 years so TomTom will be breaking the terms and conditions of this offer. I don't use mine all that much so I expect it to be working then regardless of what tomtom say.

@davy
Maps are still available for TomTom units built in 2005 (perhaps even 2004), and that's already 8 years. Want to take any side bets as to whether maps are available for 2005 models (e.g,. GO700) in 2015, making it an even 10?

Ask a Question