TomTom Start 52

TomTom Model(s)
XL
Assuming I don't need active traffic and bells and whistles, I think the Start 52 is the way to go for me since TomTom stopped updating my XL because they deem it too old. (Grrr!)
However I can't determine whether the 52 has the same navigation features as my XL in terms of POI's.
What I can currently do is save custom POI categories, then save locations to that by sometimes simply choosing 'my location' and then naming the POI.
Then when I set a route from A to B, I can ask what POI's from one of my specific, named, custom POI folders exist near my destination, or along the route.
So let's say I make a folder called 'Parks' and I add a variety of parks in different locations to this folder. I set my A to B route, then ask TomTom to navigate to a POI near my destination and select the folder 'Parks' and the POI's are listed with the one closest to the destination at the top.
The other thing I like is when you face a roadblock and it allows you to select a roadblock a certain distance ahead and it recalculates a new route for you.
Does anyone know if the Start 52 can do this?

Right now, the Start 52 can have custom pois installed BUT they do not show on the map in driving view (TomTom is working on that..) Associated bmps can't be installed, nor can custom sounds.

You can drive to a poi near you or along route but the poi is from the included poi file with the map.

You can set a roadblock but can't set the distance from the roadblock the new route should start.

Right now, the Start 52 can have custom pois installed BUT they do not show on the map in driving view (TomTom is working on that..) Associated bmps can't be installed, nor can custom sounds.

You can drive to a poi near you or along route but the poi is from the included poi file with the map.

You can set a roadblock but can't set the distance from the roadblock the new route should start.

I don't mind if they don't show on the map, as long as the route takes you to it. That's odd not supporting associated BMP's, can you not use PNG's either?
I don't understand when you say the included POI is from the included lot with the map. You mean you can't drive to a custom POI near you?

Yes, you can but it is a bit different then before.
dhn was talking about TomTom supplied categories like restaurants, cinemas, etc.

There is no more HOME but you do need a USB connection to a computer to get your POI categories onto the Start 62 (or any of the current non WiFi devices). Once you loaded them, it will be easy. To get to one of yours:
(from power up Main screen) Tap Menu > tap Drive To > tap Point of Interest (Address and Latitude Longitude are the other 2 options) > tap 'Near me' or 'In town or city'.
Now the list of all available POI categories (your current .ov2) show alphabetically, including your custom POIs.
Tap on your custom POI and all will display by increasing distance to current destination.

Once set up, it is a little different than before but the 2nd time you do the above, it will come naturally.

Yes, you can but it is a bit different then before.
dhn was talking about TomTom supplied categories like restaurants, cinemas, etc.

There is no more HOME but you do need a USB connection to a computer to get your POI categories onto the Start 62 (or any of the current non WiFi devices). Once you loaded them, it will be easy. To get to one of yours:
(from power up Main screen) Tap Menu > tap Drive To > tap Point of Interest (Address and Latitude Longitude are the other 2 options) > tap 'Near me' or 'In town or city'.
Now the list of all available POI categories (your current .ov2) show alphabetically, including your custom POIs.
Tap on your custom POI and all will display by increasing distance to current destination.

Once set up, it is a little different than before but the 2nd time you do the above, it will come naturally.

Hmm thanks arno. TBH It doesn't sound any different to my XL. That also needs to connect via usb to PC, however on that I can see the root folder and simply drag and drop ov2 files. I think someone said you can't do that on newer models, only import them from your desktop via the software? Is that correct?

The description you give for navigating to one is same as my XL too, so the 52 certainly seems to fit the bill for me as a replacement for my XL. I know some bemoan the fact you can't view the root memory of the device in later models, but tbh if you can import old ov2 files and export them as well for backup, I'd be a happy man.

You don't have access to the root of the newer models or any files/folders the way you did with older models. You do need to import pois using MyDrive. See the following video at the 2 minute 10 second mark:

Please use a new eMail address for you new device. TomTom peeps your maps and services on their server and you can get them back from there, if lost, by logging in. This works like the back up to your PC before.

I can't stream video at the mo, but I'll take ya word for it. As long as it can import my own ov2 files and not just the pre prepared ones I'll be fine cos I got hundreds that are irreplaceable.
They're on offer in France for €159

Please use a new eMail address for you new device. TomTom peeps your maps and services on their server and you can get them back from there, if lost, by logging in. This works like the back up to your PC before.

Oh so you can't back up to PC even?

Yeah but if you add POI's to your custom categories on the TomTom, surely you need to back them up to a PC so you don't lose them.

You can only add them by copying them from your PC.

Suggest you make a TomTom_Start folder on your PC and put all your current .ov2 files in a sub folder like POI.

Right we're going round in circles and I'm not getting it. I know you can add your custom POI's from the PC, what I need to know is can you or can you not save your custom POI's back to the PC...for instance, for when you change to a new device and want to take your custom POI's with you?

You cannot make a POI on the device, only on the PC and then transfer it to the cloud (MyDrive web), see the video in dhn's post #6.

Your device connects to the cloud to access that data.
If you log in to the cloud on other devices with the same eMail address you use for the cloud, they all have access to the same data, including your Home and Work addresses if you have entered them under those names.

So you can't save the location that you are at as a POI??? That's bizarre!!
Sorry I did say I can't see the video, hence why I'm asking.

@Gary
You're discovering what many have discovered before you ... POI support since the earlier generations of TomTom units has slipped quite a bit. None of us are happy about it, but it is what it is. Current generation units require that all POI be created 'offline' and sent to the device. All you can add to one of these new units 'on the fly' are 'favorites'.

@Gary
You're discovering what many have discovered before you ... POI support since the earlier generations of TomTom units has slipped quite a bit. None of us are happy about it, but it is what it is. Current generation units require that all POI be created 'offline' and sent to the device. All you can add to one of these new units 'on the fly' are 'favorites'.

Well looks like I'm putting up with my XL then. Does Garmin still have POI support of the nature I've mentioned or have they gone the same route as TomTom?

Indeed that manual shows that Garmin do in fact support POI's in the way that TomTom used to. Page 11 has most of the info on it. Looks like it's a Garmin next for me then!

Ask a Question