TomTom says "west" instead of "0"

My TomTom 540 is great but it says "west" when it should say "0". For example, Highway 101 comes out as "one west one." From other postings, it sounds like this is a common problem. I contacted TomTom tech support and they act like they never heard of it before. I tried a solution that was posted here but it didn't work, probably because I'm missing a step. What do you do after making the changes and saving the file? I tried updating my TomTom but nothing changed. Thanks.

Look in the LoquendoTTS folder-->EnglishUS for a file called roadnr.EnglishUs6.8.lex

Open with notepad and you should see the first line showing this:
"O" = "WEST"

Change it to "O" = "Oh"

and save the file. Make sure the setting when you save is 'all files' so that a .txt extension does not get added.

Also use Explorer to rename the cphone.dat file in your specific map folder to cphone.old.

If that doesn't do the trick, then the solution in this thread certainly will.

Last edited:
San Francisco pronounced as 'San Franciscar'

Hi, the fix for 101 does the job well.

I have other pronunciation-related issues. This is on an XL 340TM.

1. San Francis'co' is pronounced as San Francis'car' (sounds like Spanish?)

Can this be fixed so the 'co' is not pronounced as 'car'?

2. Also, the word 'Guadalupe' is pronounced as 'Guadalape'. 'lupe' is pronounced as 'lape'. In fact it sound like Guadadalape' (the 'dada' was pronounced really fast--some kind of overlapping...).

Should I try to rename the cphoneme.dat file to cphoneme.old also?

Thanks.

Welcome to TTF.

Yes, try the renaming of the cphoneme.dat file and see if it helps.

K--I renamed the cphoneme.dat file to cphoneme.old.

The pronunciation is much better on the XL 340TM with this change. I'll keep checking... .

This cphoneme.dat file should have never been included... . For sure not for California... .

Can TomTom really fix these TTS problems in the next update?

This is really essential feature. It's almost useless if the streets aren't even pronounced right. I am not going to try to read the street/highway names off the screen while driving--totally dangerous.

I am a computer geek so I can understand the solution from the forum. My wife would just freak out and dump the product... .

Last edited:
My TomTom 540 is great but it says "west" when it should say "0". For example, Highway 101 comes out as "one west one." From other postings, it sounds like this is a common problem. I contacted TomTom tech support and they act like they never heard of it before. I tried a solution that was posted here but it didn't work, probably because I'm missing a step. What do you do after making the changes and saving the file? I tried updating my TomTom but nothing changed.

Try changing your roadnrEnglishUS.rex file located in the Data folder in the LoquendoTTS folder to this-

"(^|[ \t]+)US[ \-]*([0-9])([1-9][0-9])([^0-9])" = "\1 \s US \2_\3 \4"
"(^|[ \t]+)US[ \-]*([0-9])0([0-9])([^0-9])" = "\1 \s US \Nx \2 oh \Nx \3 \4"
"(^|[ \t]+)US[ \-]*([0-9][0-9]?)([^0-9])" = "\1 \s US \2 \3"
"(^|[ \t]+)HWy[ \-]*([0-9])([1-9][0-9])([^0-9])" = "\1 Highway \2_\3 \4"
"(^|[ \t]+)HWy[ \-]*([0-9])0([0-9])([^0-9])" = "\1 Highway \Nx \2 oh \Nx \3 \4"
"(^|[ \t]+)HWy[ \-]*([0-9][0-9]?)([^0-9])" = "\1 Highway \2 \3"
"(^|[ \t]+)I[ \-]*([0-9])([1-9][0-9])([^0-9])" = "\1 Interstate \2_\3 \4"
"(^|[ \t]+)I[ \-]*([0-9])0([0-9])([^0-9])" = "\1 Interstate \Nx \2 oh \Nx \3 \4"
"(^|[ \t]+)I[ \-]*([0-9][0-9]?)([^0-9])" = "\1 Interstate \2 \3"

Try changing your roadnrEnglishUS.rex file located in the Data folder in the LoquendoTTS folder to this-

"(^|[ \t]+)US[ \-]*([0-9])([1-9][0-9])([^0-9])" = "\1 \s US \2_\3 \4"
"(^|[ \t]+)US[ \-]*([0-9])0([0-9])([^0-9])" = "\1 \s US \Nx \2 oh \Nx \3 \4"
"(^|[ \t]+)US[ \-]*([0-9][0-9]?)([^0-9])" = "\1 \s US \2 \3"
"(^|[ \t]+)HWy[ \-]*([0-9])([1-9][0-9])([^0-9])" = "\1 Highway \2_\3 \4"
"(^|[ \t]+)HWy[ \-]*([0-9])0([0-9])([^0-9])" = "\1 Highway \Nx \2 oh \Nx \3 \4"
"(^|[ \t]+)HWy[ \-]*([0-9][0-9]?)([^0-9])" = "\1 Highway \2 \3"
"(^|[ \t]+)I[ \-]*([0-9])([1-9][0-9])([^0-9])" = "\1 Interstate \2_\3 \4"
"(^|[ \t]+)I[ \-]*([0-9])0([0-9])([^0-9])" = "\1 Interstate \Nx \2 oh \Nx \3 \4"
"(^|[ \t]+)I[ \-]*([0-9][0-9]?)([^0-9])" = "\1 Interstate \2 \3"

I did this and it worked perfectly... I actually like it better than the way it should be... it now says "Interstate two-oh-five"... when my GO720 would say "Interstate two-hundred-and-five" - which I assume this one should too if it were saying it correctly.

For someone like me who doesn't know about programming, how do you change the roadnrEnglishUSrex file? I found the file but the first problem is what program to use for opening it--I get a message that it isn't recognized. Once it's open, do I delete everything that's there and copy and paste the data in your message? How do I save it and how do I then transfer the data to my Tomtom? Sorry for all the questions and thanks in advance for helping.

For someone like me who doesn't know about programming, how do you change the roadnrEnglishUSrex file? I found the file but the first problem is what program to use for opening it--I get a message that it isn't recognized. Once it's open, do I delete everything that's there and copy and paste the data in your message? How do I save it and how do I then transfer the data to my Tomtom? Sorry for all the questions and thanks in advance for helping.
Not knowing what sort of computer you've got, it's a bit hard to say exactly. If you have Windows, use Notepad or Wordpad and save as text.

Then yes, I'd just delete and replace it all.

Save a copy of the original in case you get fouled up.

Ask a Question