TomTom Remote Devours Batteries

TomTom Model(s)
GO 730
My daughter bought me a remote for my GO730. She did her research and the 4M02.000 shows several places as being compatible with the GO730. It does, in fact, operate the GPS fine...for a few key activations.

I originally picked up a 4-pack of Energizer Alyline batteries for the remote. I loaded the first pair in, fired up the TomTom and bingo, all worked fine. The remote appeared to "go to sleep" when I laid it down after diddling with its functions for a few minutes. I probable pressed the keys 30 or 40 times, max. After a couple of hours I came back to the car, fired up Tom and tried to use the remote. It would not come on. So I popped out the batteries and installed the second pair. The remote started up fine and operated the TomTom fine.

The remote sits more than it gets used and I think that is probably typical. Don't you know that darned remote would not come on after a few hours sitting idle. I removed the second set of batteries, took them and the origina pair in the house and checked them with my battery tester. All four were drained about 2/3.

So...I went out and bought s 4-pack of Energizer rechargeables. I already had AA rechargable and the charger I had for those accepted AAA's as well. I charged them over night and popped a pair in the remote. It worked fine...for a couple of hours. They drained just like the normal batteries. Same thing with the second set of rechargeables.

What gives here?

AND...I have attempted to concact TomTom three darned times via their website on this remote. Do you think those people will reply over and above the auto-reply thanking me for contacting them and promising someone would be back with me. What a joke their support function (dis-function) of their website is!

To be fair, I have not tried to call yet. That is my next step and I don't think I will be real pleasant when I finally get through to someone.

Comments on TomTom support?

Thanks in advance for your input!

Emailing TomTom is pretty much a waste of time.

Call support at 866-486-6866. They're open Saturdays.

You are not the only one to complain about how the remote seems to suck the life out of batteries too quickly.

Don't hold your breath about getting assistance with the remote.

You did the right thing with getting the rechargeable ones but to make them last, pop them out when not in use.
After using my 930 in the car,then parked and getting back after an hour or two I some times see the blue light flashing or remain on solid after after the voice announced Connected to SCH-u510 (my phone) without having seen the message that the remote is connected.
I think it is a blue tooth matter as that still seems to be a bit flaky with other equipment too.

Not on board, but when at home I pop up the battery. Opening the remote is quite easy when used to it, pressing at the right spot.
I immediately recharge my AAAs and keep the recharged ones on hand.

Next month my 930 will be two years old. Yours is still under warranty but I would not hold my breath as no manufacturer of any battery powered equipment seems to be concerned about battery life.

My phone contacts with Support were quite good but, I usually sent support questions first, disagreed with their replies in writing and then called. This has the advantage that one can just refer to the exchange of correspondence and the Support person has to react.

Looking forward to hearing eventually how you made out.

Ask a Question