TomTom Online Route Planner Beta

It's not even associated with any specific unit. It's an ONLINE route planner taking into consideration current traffic conditions. Testing only in Europe currently.

***Now available in USA, as well***

Last edited:
I just got this email after signing up as a beta tester a couple of days ago. It definitely works for NA/CA.

"Dear Sidney,

Congratulations, you've recently registered to be part of the Beta programme of the TomTom Online Route Planner and now have been granted access to it.

To try out now, simply log in with your MyTomTom username and password. Use the following email address to enter:

Email: skaxxxxx.com

Try it out!!

We'd love to know what you think about our latest product. We're always trying to improve our products and services, and the best way to do that is to listen to the people who actually use them.

All the best,

The TomTom Team "

Sidney

I just got this email after signing up as a beta tester a couple of days ago. It definitely works for NA/CA.

"Dear Sidney,

Congratulations, you've recently registered to be part of the Beta programme of the TomTom Online Route Planner and now have been granted access to it.

To try out now, simply log in with your MyTomTom username and password. Use the following email address to enter:

Email: skaxxxxx.com

Try it out!!

We'd love to know what you think about our latest product. We're always trying to improve our products and services, and the best way to do that is to listen to the people who actually use them.

All the best,

The TomTom Team "

Sidney

I just received the same e-mail and yes it works in NA .
I just tried a route that I had done with Google Maps and Houghi.
So far I am only partly impressed but I will have to try it some more.

I wish they would have used the latest
Google/Tele- Atlas map.
And it would be nice if you could drag the route like you can in Google maps.

I did not receive an email but could access the planner from the TT web site. I planned a route in Toronto from uptown to downtown and it did plan the route but, and a BIG but .......

No traffic info is being incorporated as yet so, effectively, at this point for this region, it's no better than mapquest or google maps.

I did not receive an email but could access the planner from the TT web site. I planned a route in Toronto from uptown to downtown and it did plan the route but, and a BIG but .......

No traffic info is being incorporated as yet so, effectively, at this point for this region, it's no better than mapquest or google maps.

Do you prefere Mapquest or Google ??

nyyyyyyyyyyyyy.jpg

I like it !!!

Very..................Google'ish

I think possibly TomTom thinks, given the population of Canada versus its total size), how could you possibly have traffic there?

Ha ha (sorry dhn).

The real reason is most likely the usual market segment size versus cost issue - which seems to be also the case in the US versus the population density in Europe. Taking NA as a whole - I don't know if we will ever see HD Traffic over here.

I just got my login working for the new online route planner beta but cant figure out how I can send my route I created to my Go 920. Im here in the US.

I just got my login working for the new online route planner beta but cant figure out how I can send my route I created to my Go 920. Im here in the US.

It's not meant to send a route to your unit. You don't even need a unit to plan a route. Use a program like TYRE if you want to create an itinerary. Here's a link to a spendid site operated by a member of this Board, Birdman. Go here

No Inrix traffic showing for the US yet (if ever) but it uses IQ Routes to plan trips and show travel times on specific dates and times in advance such as next Wednesday at 7am. So it uses historical traffic to plan travel times and the same trip does show different times for various start times.

Thats something that no online map directions has yet other than TomTom. It also allows sending a location to your TomTom.

The only online maps in the US that allows for live traffic influence on directions is Live Maps.

As it's in beta there may be more features coming down the road we'll have to wait and see.

But I thought for the USA that traffic conditions would be showing..:confused: :confused:

None of which are as good as Live Maps, which incorporates live traffic information for Toronto directions.

http://tinyurl.com/57lzza

I guess this is one way to verify if the map corrections we submitted for our area has been included/approved.

No Inrix traffic showing for the US yet (if ever) but it uses IQ Routes to plan trips and show travel times on specific dates and times in advance such as next Wednesday at 7am. So it uses historical traffic to plan travel times and the same trip does show different times for various start times.

Thats something that no online map directions has yet other than TomTom. It also allows sending a location to your TomTom.

The only online maps in the US that allows for live traffic influence on directions is Live Maps.

As it's in beta there may be more features coming down the road we'll have to wait and see.

Well, I find that functionality (IQ routing) questionable.....

I planned a route yesterday during morning rush hour in my area and then set it for later in the day when traffic would be much lighter. Same route but the rush hour version showed 1 minute LESS than later in the day.

Sorry, but having done that route during rush hour, I KNOW the travel time would be at least 20 minutes MORE during rush hour, not 1 minute less.

I tried routes KNOWN to have massive traffic ie; DC beltway, Chicago Loop, Baltimore at rush hour etc. NO traffic was shown regardless of time of day.
In checking it out I see NO way to avoid an area or select a different route.

Sidney

Ask a Question