TomTom ONE XL SD card?

Does anyone know if I can use 'normal' SD cards in this device? It's a V1 BTW. Reason for asking, as posted in other forums is that the card supplied with the unit cannot be copied onto a normal SD card for backup. It appears to copy fine but when I try the copy it tells me the map cannot be used on this device? I know I can buy cards from TomTom but at ?17 + p&p for a 2Gb card is a bit ott in my opinion when I can get them on the High Street for ?5!

As long as the card is upto 2GB in capacity and contains all the folders and files from your old card with the exception of the map then it will work fine, but you would have to purchase a new map and download/ install it using TomTom Home - Mike

Mike,
Thanks (again!). Any idea why I can format the card that came with the device and copy the data back onto it yet I can't copy it to a spare card? I know I've asked this before but I am puzzled why a format doesn't destroy everything that's on it, yet after a format and a copy of the data back onto it, it works again?
Is there something 'hidden' within the card which a format leaves intact? I tried last night with the same size card but it still says thap map is invalid for the device using the copied card. Just very curious - as I always am:)

The SD actually stands for Secure Digital, the secure part is a unique ID assigned to the card that doesn't get erazed when you format the card, if a map is locked to this ID it will only work when installed to that card - the plus side to this is you can use the card in any other device as its not locked to the device ID - Mike

Ask a Question