TomTom One XL: Difficult to switch off/on after connected to PC

(1) Every time I connect the TT via TT Home to get updates, after removing the TT it will not switch off immediately. Have to keep pressing the on/off switch for minutes on end.
Then when switching back on, it shows the 'PC connection' screen, and I have to try to switch it off again. Eventually it returns to normal 'on/off' operation.

Why does that happen? Is there a fix?

(2) Also, when not used for just a few days, the battery is flat, whereas the battery on my digital camera will stay usable for weeks of inactivity.

As a work-around...try disconnecting the device through TomTom Home, but physically leave the unit attached to your computer. Wait a while, around one minute or two. The unit should come up with the PC connection screen. Select no so you don't reconnect to your computer. The legal screen should come up. Indicate that you agree and the unit should display the normal screen indicating where you are (or were). Wait a few more seconds until it settles in. Then shut off the unit by pressing the on/off switch for a few of seconds. Hopefully this will turn it off and, more importantly, allow you to turn it on rapidly the next time you wish to use it.

As a work-around...try disconnecting the device through TomTom Home, but physically leave the unit attached to your computer. Wait a while, around one minute or two. The unit should come up with the PC connection screen. Select no so you don't reconnect to your computer. The legal screen should come up. Indicate that you agree and the unit should display the normal screen indicating where you are (or were). Wait a few more seconds until it settles in. Then shut off the unit by pressing the on/off switch for a few of seconds. Hopefully this will turn it off and, more importantly, allow you to turn it on rapidly the next time you wish to use it.

Great - that worked first time! Many thanks, indeed. Much appreciated...

(N.B. the 'legal screen' didn't appear - went straight to 'normal screen'.)

Is that 'working as designed', or is there a 'fix'?

That isn't normal for a Tomtom. I have heard it reported often with app 8.010, but most people seem to be fine after a complete reformat and reinstall of the device software.

1) close HOME
2) backup the Tomtom per this link
3) format the Tomtom drive as fat32
4) copy the USA_and_Canada folder back onto the Tomtom from the backup
5) reopen HOME and use "update my XL" to install the latest application, if HOME asks to reboot make sure the red X on the Tomtom disappears from the Tomtom before rebooting. Repeat if necessary until you get app 8.010 installed
6) use "update my XL" to install your one favorite voice
7) wait for the red x to disappear, then click the blue button on the lower right of HOME to disconnect the Tomtom

Last edited:
(2) Also, when not used for just a few days, the battery is flat, whereas the battery on my digital camera will stay usable for weeks of inactivity.

Interestingly, after using the suggested method of ending a 'Home' session (so as to avoid the "Can't switch off" problem), the battery problem appears to have diminished!

Have just checked the TT 1 week after last charged up, and the battery is still at 2/3 strength.

Perhaps my earlier disconnects from Home were leaving some function running in the TT after (eventually) I managed to switch it off.

Ask a Question