Tomtom one won't stay on

TomTom Model(s)
Tomtom one
Hi all.
I have a fairly old tomtom one that I would like to keep rather than replace. The problem it has it that it turns on fine, finds satelites fine and shows a green charging light. After an indeterminate time it turns itself off and will only turn back on after holding the power button for 15-20 seconds. It will then stay on for a while before doing it again. I have also replaced the battery.
Any ideas?
Thanks, Paul.

Does this occur even when the device remains connected to a power source, or only when operating on battery?
After a full overnight charge, and without being connected to an external source, about how long will it operate on battery? I know you said 'indeterminate', but we may see a pattern.

There is some chance that the charging circuitry internal to the unit itself is defective, and may even have been one of the reasons you thought it necessary to replace the battery. We've seen diodes blown on a number of the older models, including the ONE.

Yes, this still occurs with a full overnight charge even while connected to the in car charger.

After a full overnight charge on the PC, and without being connected to an external power source, about how long will it operate on battery power?

Never tried it but I do know that it'll turn itself off before the battery is fully discharged.

Interesting comment. How are you assessing that the battery is not yet fully discharged?

Because it will turn back on after holding the power button for 15-20 seconds and then stay on for a while until it decides to turn off again.

Ah, OK. Did not realize you were describing operation on the battery with no external power at that point.

So are we sure you've tested it with no USB cable connected?

Most TomToms now turn off after a few minutes when connected to a PC if there has been no activity (in order to charge the battery quicker).
I'm wondering if there is something amiss in your cabling or charger (or even the unit itself) that makes the device think it is connected to a computer instead. It wouldn't be the first time.

Ask a Question