TomTom One Will Not Update Maps

I am new to forum and hope to find answer to this long standing error message I receive everytime I try to update my maps from HP XP TomTom Home to my Tom Tom One. I receive the follow error message everytime. Tom Tom will not answer my telephone after hours of waiting on hold.

An error has occurred
Error during scanning for navigation items HomeBase/IO: Error reading file:
N:USA_and _Canada/PatchFilter.dat
@.\portable/cfile.opp (1938)

TomTom incident code. Report Incident ID: 27009193

Thx in advance of any help. :confused:

Is this a map you've downloaded from TomTom using Home?
The problem is:
I plug tmtm into usb
HP XP & TomTom Home recognizes One
I try to do anything pertaining to my One {update maps, update voices, etc. I get the same error message}.
This is not a map update I have downloaded to HP hard drive.

I hit Alt&PrtScr, but the resulting "Error Code Box" pix is to large to upload into forum.

Error reading file:
N:USA_and _Canada/PatchFilter.dat
1) Is N: your TomTom (vs. hard drive on HP?)

2) If yes to #1, try copying that file from your TomTom to your desktop using Windows. Success? No?
3) Try copying any small file from your hard drive to your TomTom. Success? No?
4) Do you have a full backup of your TomTom on your hard drive anywhere?

2) If yes to #1, try copying that file from your TomTom to your desktop using Windows. Success? No?
1 N is tomtom
2 tried to copy to desk top. copy stopped on "corrupt" file - USA_and_Canada/patchfile.dat
3 I did copy small Word doc to N drive
4 NO, I do not have full back up on HD. It was never recognized by HP XP..

Here is failure details when I try to UPDATE in TT Home2:

ERROR: DesktopLib/DeviceItemScan/Error: Error during scanning for navigation items HomeBase/IO: Error reading file: N:\USA_and_Canada\PatchFilter.dat
@ .\portable\cfile.cpp(1938)
@ .\framework\DeviceItemScannerThread.cpp(74)

in .\framework\DeviceItemScannerThread.cpp:74
Stack:
0. function errorAbortTask chrome://tthome/content/logic/ttTask.js:508
error(e);
1. chrome://tthome/content/logic/dllUtils.js:77
this._errorCallback(e);
2. chrome://tthome/content/logic/dllUtils.js:69
this._errorFatal(error);

Time: Thu, 09 Sep 2010 11:12:23 GMT

1 N is tomtom
2 tried to copy to desk top. copy stopped on "corrupt" file - USA_and_Canada/patchfile.dat
3 I did copy small Word doc to N drive
4 NO, I do not have full back up on HD. It was never recognized by HP XP..
Nuts. So you just proved that either file on your unit is corrupted or there are data transfer issues. It's not a Home issue.

Did the small *.doc file look OK once it was there? No corruption? If so, we know that file transfers are OK and that you have no data transfer issues, narrowing it down to that one file.

Rats that you don't have the backup of that file.

Now that we have nuts and rats out of the way...

How long have you had this problem? Perhaps the more important question is what version is your map? If you're within a year of the release of the original map for your unit, it's possible to just wipe your map folder and have your original map (with that patchfilter.dat) reload.

My greater concern is how that file got corrupted, and whether a reformat is called for in this instance, but let's see if we can get you started. What is your current map version? That will tell us whether you are likely to be able to download a full map set if we delete your current one. Also, please advise the specific size (in bytes) of your patchfilter.dat file.

First, back up your unit using Explorer. Instructions here: https://www.tomtomforums.com/genera...4-how-backup-contents-your-unit-computer.html

Let us know when you've got that accomplished.

Nuts. So you just proved that either file on your unit is corrupted or there are data transfer issues. It's not a Home issue.

Did the small *.doc file look OK once it was there? No corruption? If so, we know that file transfers are OK and that you have no data transfer issues, narrowing it down to that one file.

How long have you had this problem? Perhaps the more important question is what version is your map? If you're within a year of the release of the original map for your unit, it's possible to just wipe your map folder and have your original map (with that patchfilter.dat) reload.

My greater concern is how that file got corrupted, and whether a reformat is called for in this instance, but let's see if we can get you started. What is your current map version? That will tell us whether you are likely to be able to download a full map set if we delete your current one. Also, please advise the specific size (in bytes) of your patchfilter.dat file.

First, back up your unit using Explorer. Instructions here: https://www.tomtomforums.com/genera...4-how-backup-contents-your-unit-computer.html

1 I got my ttonexl100 for Christmas 3 or 4 years ago (whenever CircuitCity closed). I got caught up in the CircuitCity "screw everyone who buys from us" Christmas. I have had this problem since I first took my tt out of plastic.
TT would not help and CircuitCity would not help.
My TT works fine in my truck, but roads have changed here in central Texas and I just like to update my maps.
2 How can I find out my map version? {sorry, I'm a goob at this}
3 Attempting back up now. I'll get back to you when/if that completes. Yesterday it stopped on patchfilter.dat file [said it was corrupt]. I then copied everything else to a file on my desktop. Retrying now.
4 My patchfilter.dat file size is 1K in explorer, on file properties it is Size: 746 bytes, & Size on disk: 16.0KB

The back up stopped same place as yesterday, I did not continue to copy other files.
????
It says the patchfilter.dat file is corrupt and unreadable.

I think map version is 8.017 ??
That's what shows up on my tt Status Summary page.
Nope. That would be your firmware version. No problem. That was a good thing to know, too.

An easier question to ask would be whether you've ever bought a map subscription or anything that would have given you maps more recent than the one that came with your unit.

Stupid me for asking if you'd backed up. Yes, it will hang on that one file. We'll get around that in a moment.

I'm going to suggest that between us here, we try to find you a copy of the *.dat file that is causing you grief, that you see if it is possible to rename the old file to *.xxx and copy the new on to your unit. If that works, then we will do a selective backup of the important stuff on your unit, format it (to deal with any other bad sectors/files that might be lurking) and start you up fresh. The important thing now, no matter what, is that you don't lose any of your data from your map folder other than the file that is causing the trouble.

So let's start again with this. Please create a folder on your PC and copy all of the files and folders from just your map folder EXCEPT the patchfilter.dat file that won't copy. This will also tell us if there are any other problem files. So far, we don't know if there are because Windows gives up after the first one that it can't manage. Let's be sure there aren't any more surprises.

Now I have a complete copy of all files on TT AND another folder with only USA_and_Canada Map files. Both lack the corrupted patchfilter.dat file.

OK. PM is on the way.

To round out this thread...

Had OP rename patchfilter.dat to patchfilter.xxx and his updates began to occur normally. Haven't checked with him, but suspect that the process of updating has created a new patchfilter.dat file for him.

Ask a Question