TomTom One will not start

TomTom One starts with initial splash screen, then starts with what looks like a diagnostic screen showing numbers 1-8 and some functions. Most function seem to work in diag screen, with the exception of reset. Reset (#8) runs then shows File error!! MD5 no check!! This is a new unit that has never been used, but I do not have a receipt. It was bought last Christmas, but never used until a couple of weeks ago. Any suggestions???

TomTom One starts with initial splash screen, then starts with what looks like a diagnostic screen showing numbers 1-8 and some functions. Most function seem to work in diag screen, with the exception of reset. Reset (#8) runs then shows File error!! MD5 no check!! This is a new unit that has never been used, but I do not have a receipt. It was bought last Christmas, but never used until a couple of weeks ago. Any suggestions???
Try a hard reset of your unit. You don't say which model One you've got, but first check to see if there's a tiny hole in the bottom adjacent to the USB connector. If so, gently give it a push with a paper clip for about 5 seconds.

If you don't have the reset button, press and hold the power button for about 15 seconds.

One of those may set you right.

If not ... There's still hope.

Connect your unit to your PC. Home will be installed. When you get the chance, just shut it down with the little "x" in the upper right corner.

Using your PC's OS (Explorer, Finder, whatever, see if you can spot a new 'external drive' that's called TomTom. If so, try to open the 'drive'. There should be a pile of files and folders there.

If you can get connected and can see the contents of your TomTom, we may be able to get it back on track.

Please advise which actual ONE model you've got.

Additional info

It is a TT One 30 series. No reset button. I did the reset using power button, but each restart brings me to the diag screen. I have loaded TT Home and can find device on Win Explorer, but have no idea what files are. That is where I loaded the TT Home from. Any help would be appreciated.

Sounds like its got the factory test/ setup software still installed rather than the proper Nav application, I am not even sure this can be altered by anyone other than TomTom, any chance you can take a picture of the screen and post it in to this thread to confirm what I suspect? - Mike

Screen image

Here is the image attached.

Attachments

• DSCN0941.jpg
    DSCN0941.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 494
There is a diagnostic screen on every tomtom model that is arrived at by holding the power button past the reboot and keep holding it for about 20 seconds or so. But Mike is right, that diagnostic screen doesn't quite look like the one in your screenshot.

Try this:
1. Connect the unit to the computer.
2. Make an Explorer, not Home, backup of the unit's contents.
3. Use Explorer to delete all the loose files in the root of the unit, NO folders or their contents.
4. Connect the unit to Home.
5. You should be offered an application. Download & install it.
6. disconnect the unit properly from home using the Device disconnect icon.
7. Restart the unit and see if things are better.

Continuation

I cleaned out the loose files and the unit now starts better, but after initial setup, I get an error message that says problem with map: You cannot use this map on this device: United_States.

Along dhn's line of thinking...

It was my impression that the TT ONE 30 is a U.K.-only model, you appear to be in Texas, and the ONE 30 was last sold a while back.

Did you get this unit from a shop or from an individual? Where did you come across this unit???

Last edited:
Looking at the image displayed your unit has got test software installed as I suspected earlier.

The only way I know to get this removed is to return the device to TomTom for a software re-load, it should be rather obvious to TomTom that this fault isn't something you have caused and the purchase date is really irrelevant in this case, give TT CS a ring to sort out an RMA - Mike

TTOne

I am in Texas. The unit has the original map that came on it. It was purchased from Wal-Mart.com as a Black Friday special about a year ago. It is my Sister in Law's, and she just turned it on a few weeks ago and called me to see what was going on. I seriously doubt she has the receipt or anything else, so I think I am hosed as far as sending it back to TT is concerned.

Mike - since you're there, you will likely know -- am I really completely misremembering this, or wasn't the TT ONE 30 supposed to be a UK model, with the US models being the ONE 125 and ONE 130??? What the devil was Wally World doing with these over here? I assume TT must know that they hit our shores, so I'm guessing the OP won't have any issues with "gray market" repairs, etc., but ???

Indeed the One 30 unit was UK/ European rather than a North American supplied device.

I would still try contacting TomTom CS simply say to them you have had the device for nine months and not used it, when eventually switched on it displays a test screen that must have been left on the device at the factory by accident - Mike

I recently also had a problem with my second unit - TT 130s. It just froze and could not go beyond the start up screen. However, I was able to connect to the PC and Home.

No amount of soft reset did the trick.

I then , before considering a hard reset, used my Home to operate the Go. After playing around a bit, disconnected the unit and tried starting it again.

Much to my surprise, I was back in business.

Hope this works for others. Not sure why it did, but I am not complaining.

Ask a Question