TomTom One vs TomTom One 3rd Edition

Hi...

I guess if anyone would know, it's you folks here!

Basically, I had the opportunity to order both a TomTom One original and a TomTom One 3rd Edition for basically the same price of $130.

Original:
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pr...angid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10079777&catid=25833

3rd Edition:
http://www.staples.ca/ENG/Catalog/cat_sku.asp?CatIds=&webid=710245&affixedcode=WW

Which one is more advantageous to keep?

I understand that the original has Bluetooth support, and an SD card slot so that you can expand the memory to more than 1GB.

The 3rd edition has newer hardware/firmware/maps including MapShare, but does not have Bluetooth support or an SD slot.

I guess my main question is... is it possible to upgrade the original to the updated 3rd version firmware/maps and MapShare?

If it is, is there any reason to not get the original instead?

Thanks!

I guess it's a moot point now, as the Future Shop unit is sold out.

But if you can get your hands on a v2 i.e. 'original' (I picked up a refurb unit from Tiger Direct), I think it's the preferable product, because of it's memory expandibility. The 3rd edition will only be able to use stripped down maps under 1 gb.

well, you have pretty much hit all of the differences on the head. you can upgrade the maps and software to the same thing as the 3rd edition for the mapshare technology. the maps will cost you about $72 or so to upgrade the maps. the operating system software is free and automatic when you connect your tomtom to your computer with tomtom home setup on it. someone else may be able to answer this for you, but i think the 2nd edition uses the sirfstar chip and the 3rd edition uses something else. but again, not sure on that. if you want the updated maps and want to spend the money on it, then the 2nd edition would be the way to go for the extra space you can gain with an sd card. more poi's or whatever. also you will have to buy an sd card as they don't come with the 2nd edition. they are cheap though.

I'll also say the 2nd edition (what you called original) is the way to go. I wonder if TomTom came out with the 3rd edition when they realized the 2nd was too much product for the the money. It was a really good deal as the slot allows it to stay current and grow beyond it's intent as an entry level GPS. IMO

There also seems to be a One 'Limited Edition', which appears to be like the old One v2 (with the SD slot). This would be the one to get. (But is it available in Canada?)

well, you have pretty much hit all of the differences on the head. you can upgrade the maps and software to the same thing as the 3rd edition for the mapshare technology. the maps will cost you about $72 or so to upgrade the maps. the operating system software is free and automatic when you connect your tomtom to your computer with tomtom home setup on it. someone else may be able to answer this for you, but i think the 2nd edition uses the sirfstar chip and the 3rd edition uses something else. but again, not sure on that. if you want the updated maps and want to spend the money on it, then the 2nd edition would be the way to go for the extra space you can gain with an sd card. more poi's or whatever. also you will have to buy an sd card as they don't come with the 2nd edition. they are cheap though.

Interesting. I'm very tempted to return the 3rd edition one then.

It IS possible to get the updated maps through unofficial channels, right? Not saying that I'm going to do that or not... just asking. :)

i don't know about the unofficial channels. i know officially speaking that this board does not support piracy in any way, shape or form and you will not find any discussion of that here. the other channels you mention though may be a way, but then you run into activation problems. a gps without an activated map might as well be a paper weight. it's not just a matter of finding the map and putting it on your unit. you can put the pirated map on your unit, but being unable to activate it will leave you with no map.

Thanks for the info. After a lot more reading, I STILL can't decide which one I should keep.

I read the 3rd edition has a better chipset with better satellite lock.

The SD slot allows for more options.... Depends on if you like to "play" with it a lot or just stick it in the car and use it as is.

Either way, for $130 you can't go wrong. I paid $250 for my One V2 not that long ago.........

Ask a Question