TomTom One v3 and SD Card

TomTom Model(s)
XXL 540TM
My TomTom One came with the 1GB of internal memory so there was no SD card in the box. Is it possible to move from the internal memory to the SD card or even use both areas? I can't get it to see the SD card and when I insert it it comes back with a graphic on the screen showing the card being taken out with a red X through it. Can I not use an SD card with this?

Thanks,
irock

As I understand it the new TT1v3's internal memory is disabled when a SD card is used. I don't think you can utilize both the SD card and the internal memory together.

What I would do is copy the contents of your internal memory to the SD card. Once you do that, slide the SD card in and it should work like normal, only it is booting off the SD card and not internal memory.

Try that and tell us if that works.

As I understand it the new TT1v3's internal memory is disabled when a SD card is used. I don't think you can utilize both the SD card and the internal memory together.

What I would do is copy the contents of your internal memory to the SD card. Once you do that, slide the SD card in and it should work like normal, only it is booting off the SD card and not internal memory.

Try that and tell us if that works.

Thanks digital-flex. I was hoping at the time I could see the memory card in the TomTom and move things over to it. I ended up buying an SD card reader and copied all my stuff from my backup to it and things appear fine. I was hoping the internal memory would still work but not a show-stopper.

Thanks,
irock

I don't know why they did it that way but I guess TT has to answer that question. To bad though, it would be nice to utilize both at the same time.

so if the SD card bypasses the stock internal memory could you have 2 different setups in the one, the stock maps, menus, pois and voices, and then a second setup using custom splash screens, 3rd party programs, different voices and pois?

my understanding would be that the device would look only to the memory card to boot, is that right?

so if the SD card bypasses the stock internal memory could you have 2 different setups in the one, the stock maps, menus, pois and voices, and then a second setup using custom splash screens, 3rd party programs, different voices and pois?

Yes, I believe that will work.

my understanding would be that the device would look only to the memory card to boot, is that right?

Yup. As I understand owners of the new ONE's, once an SD card is inserted, it will boot from that.

whats the biggest practical card size?

2 gig?

I'm pretty close to full on the stock memory, I'd like to add more pois and programs to it

I can't see ever filling 2 gigs but I figure you guys might know of a reason why I should get a larger card

also is there anyadvantage of getting a "high speed card"

if not there are a bunch of places that are selling 2 gig cards for about $25 this week so I think I'll pick one up

whats the biggest practical card size?

2 gig?

I'm pretty close to full on the stock memory, I'd like to add more pois and programs to it

I can't see ever filling 2 gigs but I figure you guys might know of a reason why I should get a larger card

also is there anyadvantage of getting a "high speed card"

if not there are a bunch of places that are selling 2 gig cards for about $25 this week so I think I'll pick one up

Try Best Buy. They were selling SanDisk 2 gigs for $24.99. I bought mine over the weeknd.

I'm very happy with a 2GB card. I have the NA maps, with plenty of POI's and a couple of custom voices with lots of space left for some video clips.

You should be fine with just a 2GB card.

If you don't want to pay shipping, let alone wait for it, Office Depot (and I believe Circuit City) are offering a 2gb SD card for $19.99 this week. I ended up Price Matching the card to Staples (an extra 10% off) which made it out to about $17.49.

Just bring in an ad (from in-store/paper/or online) and you shouldn't have a problem.

Ask a Question