TomTom One reboot cycle

We have 2 TomToms, bigger XL 530TM (or something), and smaller One.

This week One didn't boot up, so I plug it to my PC. The TT Home complained that the XL is paired with my account. I disregarded the warning, and updated the SW.

After that when the unit boots up, it asks the basic questions (right, miles, time) and when selecting voice, it pauses for ~ 5 seconds, and then reboots. Repeats every time.

After google, I did these:

1: Clear Flash (didn't seem to do anything) (btw., the .co.uk site has fraps inside the package, instead of clear flash)

2: Back-up everything, full format and then re-install.

After back-up, the TT Home installs the SWs. If I boot up device after this, if goes past the voice selection and then complains there are no maps available. TT Home doesn't install maps to this (for free), and after I copy back the folders:
maps
United_States

then it again crashes after the voice selection. So are my map files corrupted?

Anything I can do to fix the device, or is it paper weight now? It's TT One N14644

Item 1: It is imperative, repeat, imperative, that you don't confuse TomTom's server by setting up multiple units on the same email account. Come up with a different one for whichever of your units isn't officially associated with the account. It doesn't even have to be real (though that can be handy), just different.

Just for the heck of it, delete the mapsettings.cfg file in the "United_States" folder and try a reboot from there. If that works, copy it back from your PC, hook up with Home running, and add/delete a favorite (sounds irrelevant, but it might put this right).

Wow, deleting the mapsettings.cfg did fix it.

So should I still do the other steps you mention, or is it ok now (just with reset settings)?

Also kinda strange it doesn't allow more than one unit registered. Don't you want to sell several units for every person?

Wow, deleting the mapsettings.cfg did fix it.

So should I still do the other steps you mention, or is it ok now (just with reset settings)?

Also kinda strange it doesn't allow more than one unit registered. Don't you want to sell several units for every person?
No, no need to do anything else now UNLESS you want your favorites, etc., back. The mapsettings.cfg file contains recent destinations, favorites and the like. If you want those back, copy the mapsettings.cfg file back to your unit, and using Home, make an edit as described. Just adding or deleting a favorite will cause the file to be rewritten, and all should be good after that.

Once done, another backup of your unit in its current 'good' state to your PC is recommended!

FWIW, we're NOT TomTom here - just an independent bunch of TomTom users. Frankly, I completely agree that using email instead of product serial number (which software like Home gets automatically from the unit) is silly, but that's how they have it set up (sigh).

Ask a Question