TomTom One New Edition US 1GB upgrade?

TomTom One 3rd Edition US 2GB upgrade?

Just picked one of these up and was reading about upgrading to bigger SD cards for the other TomTom Ones. Without opening it myself, can anybody tell me whether the flash is socketed in any way in these units? Or is it soldered onto the motherboard?

I'd like to keep both the US maps and European maps on the unit at the same time for ease of travel and 1GB doesn't seem to be enough.

Any advice?

Last edited:
The update is a 2GB update via a SD card inserted in the bottom in the SD card slot if your TT1 has a slot. Only the 3RD edition does not have the slot. The 2GB is just big enough for the North american map barely so you will not get the europe map on 1 SD card. You can try a 4GB card but it has to be a non HC card and they seem hard to find and expensive. You may just set up 2 SD card one for each map and use accordingly as to where you are at the time.

There is no soldering involved with any upgrading that you've read on here. Most units have an SD card slot, allowing you to purchase a bigger SD card to put into the GPS, either replacing the internal memory (the unit ignores the internal memory) on some, or adding to the total memory on others (the unit can use both the internal and external memory at the same time.)

Does that answer your question?

Unit without SD slot

Seems my unit does not have an SD card slot. Is it worth my time to take a look inside the unit, or am I simply SOL?

Bummer... Guess I'll have to figure out how to remove the U.S. maps while I'm in Europe.

Another question: If the North America map barely fits into 2GB, how can they have fit the US + Canada map into the 800MB file? Is it less detailed? Sorry for such a n00b question, but I haven't quite figured out the differences between the maps offered by TomTom.

Yes the north american map is much more detail than the usa / canada map. Here is a look at both

here is the NA map
North20America20Map.jpg

and the usa map both the same spot
USA_Canada20Map.jpg

Mods if I have to I can remove photos and provide links but it easier to see this way to show the difference

Go to the tomtom site and change your location to UK and then browse maps and buy the erorpe map if smaller that 1GB in size before 1 /31 as they are on sale for 50% off and I think about 80.00 US. You will have to create a total UK account to download the map and get that price but it can be done fairly easy.

If you can take the 3rd edition back I would and look around for a second edition or LE or Version 1 as all of these accept the SD card.

I would look for maybe a good used Version 2 or LE. Drop me a Instant message

Last edited:
Just picked one of these up and was reading about upgrading to bigger SD cards for the other TomTom Ones. Without opening it myself, can anybody tell me whether the flash is socketed in any way in these units? Or is it soldered onto the motherboard?

I'd like to keep both the US maps and European maps on the unit at the same time for ease of travel and 1GB doesn't seem to be enough.

Any advice?

It centainly gets confusing with all the versions of the TT One. The TT One LE has a slot although it's not as easy to add the SD card as it should be but it does work. If the 3rd edition doesn't have the slot you can do a backup then remove the US map and add the European map. Then switch them again when you are back in the US.

Ask a Question